Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOLDMEMBER--'61 Chevy Nomad wagon-cam'd 6.0L/air ride/etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed and bumping for a hopeful update.

Looking for a 61 wagon tailgate if anyone sees this and has any leads.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated this in a while.

I've gotten some work done to the car since I last posted, but haven't been able to work on it much recently due to a new job and another project car.

I'll post a bunch of pictures here in just a bit.

Thanks for the interest.

-Aaron
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Teching In

So here's the original drive shaft that my dad and I cut down on the lathe. Since my car has a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing, we had to cut down the front drive shaft because of the longer 4L60E, and we added a slip joint to the rear drive shaft so that when the car goes all the way down the drive shaft can slide forward because of the solid mounted rear end and two link setup we built. I thought I had pictures of it after I welded it all up but I guess I didn't get finished pictures.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Teching In

The floor pans were pretty bad when I bought the car, and it came with full length floor pan halves, so since I've come this far on the car I figured I would go ahead and put the new floor pans in it.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Teching In

I actually enjoy this stuff. Making new brake lines. It's a challenge to route them nicely, and flare them so they seal right. LOL.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Sorry if I'm just kind of jumping around here.

So after standing back and looking at the engine bay, and the giant holes in the firewall, I decided it look like hell so I pulled the engine/trans BACK out and decided to cut out the passenger side firewall and fill all of the holes in the firewall. I'm a glutton for punishment, what can I say ?! Haha ! The paint code I used on the firewall is actually a metallic gold from an '02-ish Chevy pickup. It was a VERY close match to the original color on the car.

This is the point the car is to now. I've started gathering turbo parts to put a turbo on the car, so that will be getting started here soon.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cdumi96
Im working on a 61 bubbletop bel air. have and ls1 that i wanted to put in it. also airbag set up and big wheels simillar to your stance. did ou notch the frame in the rear? how did you get it that low. i see your not running inner fenders in the front.

would appreciate some dimensions for the hydroboost bracket. i was thinking of going the same route astro van booster ect. a lot cheaper than buying a kit.
Yeah, we cut a piece of 4 1/2" pipe down the middle and used one half per side of the frame. We ended up just notching the frame up to the bottom of the body mounts because I didn't want to cut into the rear floor area and lose any cargo room in the back. The car could go lower by changing a couple things up but it will be fine for now. ;-) Part of the reason it goes so low is because of the 2 link John and I built for the rear. The travel is not limited by the factory upper 3rd link on the rear end.

I can get you dimensions on the bracket, or could just machine you one for $75.

Originally Posted by pairof69s
nice looking cars.......that '55 is begging for a straight axle...
Thanks. It's getting a 6.0 put in it as we speak, and the style of the car does not really lend itself well for a straight axle setup.

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
I have always had a soft spot for 61's. Nice job! Keep it up.
Thanks !

Originally Posted by 1936 LS1
Great looking car! Just wanted to add that I put the hydroboost brakes on my '36 Chevy and they are AWESOME! I highly recommend them to anyone doing an LS conversion.
Yeah, my buddy John's car has a hydroboost setup on it and that sold me on them. I did the cheap way and used a Chevy Astro van unit and just bought a new '77 Corvette master cylinder.

Originally Posted by brewster240
that 55 is a 4 door with white walls, paint of a kustom, and a ls motor. nothing about that says straight axle.

this wagon is awesome, ive been trying to find a wagon worth doing this to for running around town and stuff.
Thanks ! I'm not sure if it's still available, but I found a '61 Parkwood (Bel Air trim level) on Craigslist in Oklahoma City that I thought about buying just because it was a good deal and it was super solid.

Originally Posted by OGPaint
I have a 1961 Parkwood in Fawn Gold...I'd really like to see an update
Got any pictures of yours ?

Originally Posted by blacktransam
mind if i ask what mounts you used? Doing the swap in my 63 wild cat.
I bought the mounts off eBay. I don't remember which ones they were.

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Subscribed and bumping for a hopeful update.

Looking for a 61 wagon tailgate if anyone sees this and has any leads.
I'm just going to have to do some metal work and fix my tail gate.

Thanks for all of the compliments on the car, guys.

Last edited by A_Pinstriper; 05-09-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are those long U-bolts for on the rear housing? Did you convert to leaf springs in the rear?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Teching In

No, I actually built a completely new rear 2 link suspension.

I'll elaborate and post more pictures of the setup when I get home from work.

-Aaron
Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking forward to the pics. I bet it's a "Truck Arm" type isn't it?

I am keeping the 61 Parkwood rear suspension mostly stock, but on my 61 Bel Air I did all I could to make it completely tuneable at the track. It has billet aluminum LCA's, double adjustable uppers, (adding a 2nd UCA to the driver's side) adjustable panhard bar, custom UCA to frame brackets to allow instant center adjustment, and aluminum adjustable coil-overs. I designed an upper crossmember that bolts in with no modifications to the frame for the coil-overs. The lower coil-over mounts are standard "L" type that weld to the housing and allow for quick height adjustments. The only thing I may change/add is an anti-roll bar to get the launch level.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Awesome build man. Love the wheels and patina!!! The way these cars should be !
Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Looking forward to the pics. I bet it's a "Truck Arm" type isn't it?
It is similar to the truck arm suspension.

We started by cutting the original lower control arm mounts off of the frame. I then built some new mounts and welded them to the frame farther forward so we could build a longer two link bar. Since the rear end is fixed to the two link bars, the longer they are, the less the pinion angle changes when raising and lowering the suspension.

I took 2"x2"x3/16" wall thickness square tubing and welded another piece of 2"x2" tubing on top of it at the back, effectively making it a 2" lowering block. As you can see in the pictures, I spent a ton of time boxing it all in to make it as sturdy as I could. I also welded two 1/4" pieces of plate on the back of the right side two link bar, then drilled and tapped two different locations to bolt in the panhard bar, depending on how low I want to drive the car.

Since these cars have the X-frame, we built the two link bars to follow the same angle as the frame.

The u-bolts basically tie the rear end and two link bars together, similar to how the rear end sits on top of the leaf springs on most cars and trucks equipped with leaf springs.

I probably over did it on all of the welding on the lower two link bars, but I figured I'd be better of safe than sorry.

Pics will be easier to understand than my description so I'll shut up for now. Haha.

We coped the end of the bars to put the bungs in for the bushings, then TIG welded them in.

You can see how the bars follow the angle of the frame in these pictures.

And the front mounts for the two link bars.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 12.hr
Awesome build man. Love the wheels and patina!!! The way these cars should be !
Thanks man. I'm really enjoying building this car. I've done a lot of things on this car that I've never done before, so it has definitely been an experience.

Here's more pictures.

Here is a picture of the suspension mounted on the car so you can get an idea of how it looks. You can also see the bag cups we built in this picture. I thought I had more pictures of the rear suspension mounted and hanging but I can't find them. I plan on pulling all of it back out and cleaning the rear end and painting or powder coating it and all of the suspension pieces.

Here's the front two link bar mount gussets welded in and the top of the frame cut out for drive shaft travel. I'm going to have to cut the tunnel under the rear seat and fabricate a raised tunnel so when the car goes all the way down the drive shaft doesn't hit the tunnel.

Here's the whole rear setup, minus bags and shocks. Two link arms, upper bag cups, and u-bolt plates I made out of 1/2" steel plate. Those won't bend !

That's about all of the pictures I've got of that stuff.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for posting those. They really clear everything up. I thought the arms were going to be a lot longer than you made them, but I'm glad to see they are not. I think you will be happy with them just slightly longer than stock like that. Are you going to eliminate any upper arm (s) altogether? I run dual uppers, but saw a "Y" shaped upper recently that I liked too. It just came off the stock rear housing mount and then split to use both locations on the frame crossmember.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting those. They really clear everything up. I thought the arms were going to be a lot longer than you made them, but I'm glad to see they are not. I think you will be happy with them just slightly longer than stock like that. Are you going to eliminate any upper arm (s) altogether? I run dual uppers, but saw a "Y" shaped upper recently that I liked too. It just came off the stock rear housing mount and then split to use both locations on the frame crossmember.
No problem. I figured pictures would really help explain what I was trying to narrate.

I think the arms ended up being around 5-7" longer than the stock lower control arms.

Yeah, I eliminated the upper control arm completely. It just has the rear end bolted solid to the two link arms, and an adjustable panhard rod that we fabbed up to control side to side movement. I will probably fab up some sort of bracket to tie the top of the rear end to the top of the two link bars, to try to limit/eliminate any axle wrap that might occur under real hard acceleration.

I've actually decided to go ahead and do the turbo setup on it that I kind of wanted to do in the first place, so the extra 200 or so rear wheel horse power will mean that I will most likely have to build some sort of traction/anti-axle wrap device to keep the rear end from trying to rip the pads off of it.

I have a '57 Chevy Belair project that I've been working on that was supposed to be just a quick "buy it, fix it up a little and sell it" kind of deal and turned into a huge headache, so I need to sell it so I can get back to focusing on the wagon.

Anyway, thanks for taking interest into my never-ending-money-pit of a car. Haha !
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Teching In

How's this project going?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Teching In

nice project. keep it goin'
Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great so far! I'd like to find a nice clean solid fullsize wagon someday
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build!!!! I'm building a 61 Bel Air 4 door. I see the LH valve cover is pretty close to the hydro boost. Will a LS fit in there with a 9" booster?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1936 LS1
Great looking car! Just wanted to add that I put the hydroboost brakes on my '36 Chevy and they are AWESOME! I highly recommend them to anyone doing an LS conversion.
Hi, would you tell me what you used for a front crossmember. I bought a rust free 36 coach with lots of dents! I plan on using an LS engine. What did you use for wiring please? Thanks ronb03@att.net

Quick Reply: GOLDMEMBER--'61 Chevy Nomad wagon-cam'd 6.0L/air ride/etc