Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about vss pulses, gm vs ford

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about vss pulses, gm vs ford

I am using a RPM level 5 2003 cobra t56 with a ls1 t56 front plate, input shaft, and bell. The ecu setup is a GMPP LS2 controller kit. The trans obviously still has the 2003 Cobra VSS. I know that I simply just need to swap plug ends and it will read, but there is a reluctor wheel difference between the gm and ford t56's.

Can this be tuned out in HP tuners? And if so, how would I go about doing this?

I am also using an autometer electric speedo, which I should calibrate off the ecu out vss signal. That being said, if the tune is not calibrated correctly for the ford vss, could that give me drivability issues with idle and slow speeds?

I just don't know the best way to go about this and wanting some opinions... Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM VSS input is looking for a 4k per mile signal. The ford VSS outputs a 8k per mile signal. You might be able to tune for that, but I don't know. I am doing the opposite, GM VSS with ford gauges. Hope this can help Pease you in the right direction.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

That does help . I am using autometer gauges , which is nice because they don't care what signal they get rather it be ford or gm.

The main thing I'm worried about is if the vehicle speed is whacked out do to not being calibrated, if that would mess with my idle and drivability in the gm tune?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Gm vss output is 17 pulses per revolution. The Ford is 12 pulses per revolution. This can be easily changed in hptuners if you go to the speedo tab and change the "vss pulses per rev" from 17 to 12. If your tire size and final drive ratio are are accurate, the ecm will will know the speed. That should be it.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

MPH isn't really as much of a factor on a manual transmission as it is with an automatic. So I would think if you were inputting some kind of signal you'd be fine. I know several people using manuals that have no input to the PCM and are fine. Automatics will want to stall coming to a stop without it though.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Awesome info .
I am running a 3.55 gear ratio, which is stock 2003 cobra so that didn't change. Only thing I have changed is it is running a 28 inch tall tire now instead of a 26... So adjust it based on that? Thanks again everyone
Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by breakinparts
Awesome info .
I am running a 3.55 gear ratio, which is stock 2003 cobra so that didn't change. Only thing I have changed is it is running a 28 inch tall tire now instead of a 26... So adjust it based on that? Thanks again everyone
Why a 28 tall tire?
is it for more rubber?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by breakinparts
Awesome info .
You can change all of those parameters using hptuners. So under the speedo tab, enter in your tire size, rearend ratio and pulses per revolution.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m bringing this back from the dead. I didn’t want to post a new thread on the same exact topic, so here it goes:

I installed a t56 magnum in a LS swapped Toyota pickup. I changed the harness to the Ford connector. Recalibrated the values with HPtuners to make sure the MPH matched the speed. Im running Autometer gauges, so all is well.

one thing I noticed, though, is at low speeds At little to no throttle, I get a jumpy fuel delivery. I have tried everything under the moon with the injector settings, idle transitions, fuel cutoff, transient and spark tables. AFR is dialed in in open loop.

my question is does the VSS play much of a role in fueling and spark calculations to affect this?

another thing that was not mentioned in above is that the Ford and GM sensors produce different wave lengths. One sensor outputs a square wave and the other outputs a sine wave. Even though I’ve changed the number values to get the correct MPH in the tune, could the different wave values have anything to do with the Way the PCM functions with the input from the sensor?

Old 11-21-2023, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 443 Likes on 336 Posts

What ecu are you using ?

I had a t56 mag with ford sensor back in the day and it was a sine wave output same as the GM.
how many wires is the sensor?
very generally speaking from an electronics standpoint, not a ‘ecu’ standpoint, you can feed a square wave into an input conditioned for sine wave but you can’t get away with feeding a sine wave into an input designed for a square wave.

Usually the vss is only used for some of the idle tables as long as the tune is set up for a manual transmission.

Quick Reply: Question about vss pulses, gm vs ford