Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0lq4/4l80e Catera

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0lq4/4l80e Catera

Currently working on my Cadillac catera. I always liked the Cartera so I decided to put a v8 into it. I purchased the catera off Craig's list for $300. I got the engine from a friend who wrecked his truck $500. Nothing special yet I will be adding a turbo to it. The purpose for this build's to see how much power you can get leaving the engine bone stock. Bone stock all OEM parts. I also have a cam, springs,and ARP head studs and rod bolts I'll put in next year. For now just keep it stock. The turbo is nothing expensive just a gm8 from the 6.5 l diesel. Most people would say good look others will say oh it wont run worth crap. Well my brain works like this try and see adjust and make better. Besides if that's the attitde Gm had in designing the ls engine family we problaby would be building a Ford. Nothing against ford yet I'm just a soldier for the general.....lol....

Last edited by mrmotley; 09-11-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a cool project. While it wont be "easy", the chassis underneath is shared with a bunch of other cars (mostly those in other parts of the world though) that had LS' in them from the factory. US GTO's are basically the same car underneath, so you should be able to source a bunch of parts from those to make it easier. Lingenfelter even proposed making swap kits at one time, but I dont think that ever materialized. They did build a few swapped cars tho.

I had an opportunity to get a Catera with a blown motor a few years back so I started doing all the research (daydreaming), but never actually pulled the trigger.

http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_catera_v&page=all

Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Interesting. Good luck with the build. I did a starter on a Catera once and then contemplated giving up on life, f**king thing sucks.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the only time that a caddy would be called a "sleeper". I've pondered the same swap, kudos for beating me to it. Well anyway good luck....are you going Fuel injection or carb? A carb under a catera hood would be just wrong lol that's why it would be cool
Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imagine this car would be crazy to see in person once completed. Good luck!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Talking

I'll go carb then do fuel injection next year. My friend dose the harness and programs and brakes the vat on stock computers. I got the 4l80 in today. Gotta call gm to get front shaft from 2009 G8. I'm using the 6l80e yoke. The hard part is making the headers. Driver side has to be kind of flat because of the gear box. My buddy puts ls based engines in volvos all day long. We decided to do 5 series BMW next. Got some more pics to up load. Thanks for commenting. As a dreamer myself it took me 4 months of just looking at it before I jumped in.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by K STYLEZ
Sounds like a cool project. While it wont be "easy", the chassis underneath is shared with a bunch of other cars (mostly those in other parts of the world though) that had LS' in them from the factory. US GTO's are basically the same car underneath, so you should be able to source a bunch of parts from those to make it easier. Lingenfelter even proposed making swap kits at one time, but I dont think that ever materialized. They did build a few swapped cars tho.

I had an opportunity to get a Catera with a blown motor a few years back so I started doing all the research (daydreaming), but never actually pulled the trigger.

http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_catera_v&page=all

Thanks. I saw that along with the ls1 catera swap. I bought a pair
Of GTO header manifolds that were too close to the frame. So I'll have to fabricate some headers.

Quick Reply: 6.0lq4/4l80e Catera