Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I spent the week buying and modifying things for the manifold

Home made LS3 throttle cable bracket because they don't have provisions for one. I also made a tab to hold down the MAP sensor because the truck sensor is slightly different than the LS3 setup, but I wanted to stick with the LQ4 parts. Oh I also had to plug the vacuum port with a socket cap screw and used a 7/16" tap and screw it worked perfect.

The hole for the IAC was 0.2mm too small to fit the IAC so it had to be clearanced slightly. The TPS may not be clocked correctly, so hopefully that can be adjusted in HP tuners or I may need to modify the TB to move it some.

Added a pressure gauge to the fuel rail because it was recommended I have that to make sure the corvette regulator isn't screwing up.

If you decide to use an LS3 intake and need to make it work with an LQ4 this is at least what needs to happen when using a "cheap" knock off throttle body. I've read other people had similar issues but the TB works fine (there isn't much to it so it should work) but it does require some fiddling to get there. Next I'm going to make some block off plates for my headers and continue to prep the body for paint.

I'm stuck waiting for parts for the Fiero to fix a gas leak and the dually needs a steering column so all my focus can be on this fun El Camino stuff for a while.

Jessica
Old 03-28-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Cruising right along with stuff. I got a lot done on the project, and with a long weekend coming up I should be able to get a lot more done.

Had some free time to make EGR port block offs for my headers from some scrap plate I had in my garage.

Started to sand the bottom and I got all the dirt cleaned off finally. I should be ready to paint the bottom in the beginning of May. I've decided to spray it with epoxy primer to seal all the bare metal and different kinds of paints then I'll bed liner it.

After I get the bottom painted I'm going to lower the body back done and paint the interior and firewall. Its too much of a paint to try to do it all at once. Plus there will be a lot of masking and stuff to do.
Jessica
Old 03-28-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Excellent progress!

Andrew
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone!

I finally got something done again!
I spent the entire weekend working on the El Camino (and a little bit of time on the Fiero, but not much I swear)

I think I'm almost happy with the sender/pickup but it needs a little more work. I will need to get some stuff tig welded but at least I know things can probably fit at this point

I got my Dually moved into my side yard and that meant I could get the frame outside so I can finally paint the bottom of the body! The Fiero of course got jealous of the other car getting attention and decided to run like crap.

Epoxy primer over the cleanest and most scufffed floor pan I could manage

All done and seam sealer applied at midnight so it could dry in time to get the thing painted within the paints window.

First quart of Raptor Liner for undercoat

All done with 4 quarts of Raptor Liner

Just a close up of how the texture and coverage look.

It advises that I let it sit for about a week before any heavy objects are placed on it...so that means I can't drop it back on the frame just yet. I decided to order new body mount bolts after taking a look at them today, so that will give me time to get those shipped. I decided against trying to paint the interior and firewall at this time because the rotisserie is in the way of the firewall and its a bit precarious to be opening the doors without it wanting to spin. So after the body goes back on the frame I'll get the firewall painted and then I'll do the interior last.

Once again to anyone who does paint and bodywork for a living I am truly in awe of you!
Jessica
The following users liked this post:
JoshHefnerX (06-09-2020)
Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dannnnnggg... That is going to be the nicest late-70's Elky in America!!
Old 05-29-2018, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Dannnnnggg... That is going to be the nicest late-70's Elky in America!!

Thank you, I'm just glad I'm getting things done and I'm not cutting corners if I can help it. I can't believe how long its been off the frame and it'll be a roller again in a couple weeks.
Jessica
Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

I'm trying to get things done before my summer gets away from me and I found out it looks like I'll have even less time than last year to work on my projects. Maybe I need to get a place with a bigger garage so I can do more in the winter months?

Getting there

Things got serious this last weekend

I got super anxious putting it back on the frame.

I took it apart alone, and this time my Dad came to help me put it back together. He couldn't believe how I did it...but it works!

Looks like a truck car again!

I'm going to try and get the cab prepped and sprayed with bed liner next week and if I'm super productive I'll get the firewall painted after that (can I do that if I take 2 days off work?)

Anyways things are moving forward, and I've got a guy coming to buy the rotisserie (even though I'd keep it if I had the space) so I can bring the engine home and maybe get to throwing that on the transmission and seeing how my headers and stuff all fit.
Jessica
Old 06-07-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Ahhh, look at it this way- You'll have so much fun with the Elky you won't ever want to build another car! So the rotisserie would be useless to you! RIIIIIIIIIGHT...…. lol
Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Ahhh, look at it this way- You'll have so much fun with the Elky you won't ever want to build another car! So the rotisserie would be useless to you! RIIIIIIIIIGHT...…. lol

Right! Just ignore that I'm still looking for a 48 ish Chevy panel truck to do things to ;-)
That's years in the future at this point, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I need any other projects at this point.
Jessica
Old 06-07-2018, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 78_elky
Right! Just ignore that I'm still looking for a 48 ish Chevy panel truck to do things to ;-)
That's years in the future at this point, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I need any other projects at this point.
Jessica
Ooookaaayyyy…… That 48-53 Chevy panel WOULD be a cool project! Maybe stay in touch with whoever buys the rotisserie.....
Old 06-08-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Ooookaaayyyy…… That 48-53 Chevy panel WOULD be a cool project! Maybe stay in touch with whoever buys the rotisserie.....
Thats a good idea! I'm hopefully going to have a bit of time before the guy who wants it shows up so I can take some measurements and maybe have enough info to build it in solid works and then I can build another in a few years if I can't find another used one.
Jessica
Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

So I have everything ready to paint this week when the weather gets a little warmer. I decided to take the seat belt retractors out instead of just bagging them like I had planned.
The little levers in the doors that actuate the ratchet action are both broken and the belts are pretty frayed and blue (original interior color) so I decided to change things around a little while I wasn't doing anything else.

there is the actuator thing, and the little plugs

I don't know if they could have made a more weird hole

Of course I run out of wire on a Sunday night, and there are a couple pin holes, but its done enough.

Anyways there will be more painting this week and then a short break to let it cure and then back to the fun.
Jessica
Old 06-13-2018, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Some more progress! Tomorrow or the next day the interior will get sprayed.

Sprayed some primer after work, and it took forever to dry because it got cold. Then I had to stay up to apply seam sealer.

I did have a chance to get the firewall painted though the next morning!

Also need to pick up the engine so it can finally be reunited with the car and get test fitted (figure out headers, transmission tunnel, and driveshaft safety loop).
Jessica
Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Getting close!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by truckdoug
Getting close!
I know! its feeling like its a car again, plus I just gained a ton of garage space!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Well I got a lot done before having to be busy with work again!

I'm going to have to clean up these parts before they go on and I may just switch back to a G-Body column to make things easier. I'm also going to have to start actually ordering parts to get this thing back on the road.

Jessica
Old 06-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that dash looks great in there!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BillyFargon
I think that dash looks great in there!
Thanks! I was a little unsure on it at first, but it looks a lot better than the stock dash in my opinion. I need to get some sporty bucket seats now to kind of finish it off. I ended up using the leather Camaro seats I had in it in my Fiero. They fit and match a lot nicer in that car anyways.
Jessica
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

So this is huge news! I got some seats for the car, they are out of a 90 Corvette. I'm going to remove all the power stuff I think and I like the look/feel and they were surprisingly cheap.
I just need to make some adapters to attach them to my floor. I also for the first time ever got a carpet kit for the truck. I didn't get it for the cubby because I never really liked carpet back there but I can always get it later its just another piece.
I need to get the curtain that hangs over the cubby still but thats not too important right now.

They're getting new foam/covers and will be black

New carpet!

Plus floor mats!

Jessica
Old 08-02-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

I'm still working on the El Camino, just life getting busy and the Dually has basically taken a ton of my time. Plus some parts I ordered are taking forever to get to me. I get the Dually's crappy notch removed and the new one installed. I need to get the shocks installed and then its onto body work for the Caddy tails and the rest of the little crap that needs to get done before its on the road again.

As you can see the previous owners notch was scary bad

Mine turned out pretty well, I kind of bugger welded a few spots, but I had a good root pass in my defense. I just went over a couple spots twice so I can grind down the weld and have it look a little better than a gap. I'm not a welder, and I'm getting better at vertical and overhead welding.

Anyways the plan is still to get the El Camino's interior done here this summer/fall and then spend the winter getting the engine and transmission bolted in place so I can figure out the headers, intake, lines and fuel plumbing stuff.
So yeah just a little detour today,
Jessica

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build