Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 78_elky

--Also, what are people doing with the steam lines, I've got the piping that came off the LQ4 but it won't fit under the LS3 manifold. Do I just block off the rear ones and only vent the front, or is there some parts I need to get. The knock sensor wiring is also hard to fit under the manifold but I can't really move that.
My ly6 heads had the rear ports blocked off.
As for the knock sensors, you can get an adapter/extension harness to use the Gen IV knock sensors on the side of the block. http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Uvp37fldV8EAnd I could be mistaken but I think you can just tune them out.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been distracted with the S10 lately. Its my daily driver and I'm trying to fix all the weird stuff the previous owner did/didn't do/removed/broke/added. Mostly it needs A/C and a new (unsmashed) heater box and the cooling system flushed. So its getting a ton of stuff done to it in the next few weeks if I can find the time.

Hopefully I can get my Camaro sold and that will help get more things done on the El Camino fast.
Jessica

--Also, what are people doing with the steam lines, I've got the piping that came off the LQ4 but it won't fit under the LS3 manifold. Do I just block off the rear ones and only vent the front, or is there some parts I need to get. The knock sensor wiring is also hard to fit under the manifold but I can't really move that.
For my ls3 intake, this is what I did. I took and plugged the one port behind the throttle body on the driver side since the truck accessories bracket is so close to it. I took the passenger side port behind the throttle body and ran it down the valley between the injectors and the valve covers, around the back of the intake to the rear post on the driver side valve cover. And I ordered a cheap 6 dollar mini filter to mount to the front passenger side valve cover.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
For my ls3 intake, this is what I did. I took and plugged the one port behind the throttle body on the driver side since the truck accessories bracket is so close to it. I took the passenger side port behind the throttle body and ran it down the valley between the injectors and the valve covers, around the back of the intake to the rear post on the driver side valve cover. And I ordered a cheap 6 dollar mini filter to mount to the front passenger side valve cover.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the idea. It sounds a lot easier and cheaper than some of the terrifically expensive -AN setups I've seen.
Jessica
Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Hope that helps.
Pics? What type of filter are you using for the steamports?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the idea. It sounds a lot easier and cheaper than some of the terrifically expensive -AN setups I've seen.
Jessica
Yea, I have not yet driven the car but from what I have read and heard from others it should work.

Originally Posted by stereojnky
Pics? What type of filter are you using for the steamports?
Car is at the new shop in NJ so I wont be up there til its ready to leave....which should be a week from now. But here is the filter I used....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ather&_sacat=0

As for the rear driver VC port, I just routed it around the rear of the intake under the fuel rail on the passenger side to the port right behind the PS side of the TB. Hidden and still in working condition. DS port on the intake is too close to the truck ALT bracket so I just plugged it.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, I have not yet driven the car but from what I have read and heard from others it should work.

Car is at the new shop in NJ so I wont be up there til its ready to leave....which should be a week from now. But here is the filter I used....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ather&_sacat=0

As for the rear driver VC port, I just routed it around the rear of the intake under the fuel rail on the passenger side to the port right behind the PS side of the TB. Hidden and still in working condition. DS port on the intake is too close to the truck ALT bracket so I just plugged it.
I thought we were talking about the steam lines coming from the cylinder heads not the valve covers.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought we were talking about the steam lines coming from the cylinder heads not the valve covers.
That steam port on my motor goes to the fitting on my radiator. Hose directly goes from Port to radiator
Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I was talking about the steam ports on the heads, but it was good info for the other ports on the intake/throttle body that I hadn't figured out yet as well

Now I think I've got a good idea of what I'm doing with those.
Jessica
Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

This paragraph is totally off topic of the El Camino so be aware. I've been getting all the pieces together to redo the AC system on my S10. I've got pretty much all new parts because the previous owner took the lines and compressor off to make the car faster and lighter In his haste to remove stuff he broke both the evaporator and condenser fittings/tubes and threw away all the switches and broke the heater box. So I'm starting over from scratch on the AC. I'm also going to flush all the coolant and replace all the hoses. Then I'll add a trans cooler and electric fans. And its been crazy hot here so I figure by the time I get all the parts and get a chance to get it into the shop to get the freon it'll be cold again. So that has been derailing the Elky work a bit and been sucking up money

As far as the El Camino goes I picked up a set of "used" but never installed stainless headers from a local fellow who didn't realize longtubes require some exhaust work and modification to install. So I got a good deal. They are LS1 F-body ones that I've heard can be made to fit with some tweaking. I would much rather play around with these than spend 700+ and maybe still have to modify them.

At least its a shiny part and it will keep me interested in the project
Jessica
Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

So I was looking on google for some information and my own thread popped up as a result. I didn't realize that I've been at this (at least off and on) for 2 years! Holy smokes! Hopefully I'll have a trans cross member in the next couple of weeks. I just got a water pump for LS1 Camaro so that'll be the basis of my accessories. Sometime before next year maybe I can get some space in the garage to at least pull all the old engine/trans and test fit the new stuff. Then the fun will really begin!
I would assume this slow pace happens with a lot of the more budget builds.
Jessica

Last edited by 78_elky; 08-18-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

More Pics!!! Not necessarily important but everyone love pics in a build thread

First the engine now has a water pump in case I forgot to say that before. Plus it just looks so cool, I thought a pic was in order.

I found a new (used) bumper at the junk yard off a pristine looking '83 wagon so I'll finally be free of the black trim and bumperettes.

I tucked the bumpers a couple years ago and I forgot how much harder it is to get the bumpers off because there is so little space.

I also redid my subwoofer boxes. Before they were some plastic tubs that barely fit and didn't really help anything sound wise.

These fit the floor pan behind the seat, and are almost big enough for the minimum volume of my 10" subs.

Cutting the form off the fiberglass for the subwoofer enclosure, then I cleaned up the top and glued/sealed them to the speaker plate and no one will ever see them.

Pulled out the truck parts I had laying around and started to get them ready to go onto a new bracket

The starter and alternator tested out fine so I'll reuse them. and after a lot of cleaning I decided the power steering looks good too.

The S-10 has been getting a little attention too. I redid the whole cooling and HVAC systems for a few different reasons. One of which was the smashed heater fan box covered in duct tape.

There it is all cleaned up and ready to go get a freon charge.

I also ditched the mechanical fan and installed a couple electric ones.

Fancy output shot from the S10. The projectors are the same on the El Camino.

I got this hood for my S10 off craigslist for $50

It had a bit of a crack on one hinge mount, but overall it looked pretty good.

Played with some 'glass over the weekend and its almost ready for paint and body work. Plus it should be a lot stronger and mounted better when I'm finished.

I also got this wild contraption for working on my friends 1973 BMW 2002. Never played around with points before but I can always ask my dad for advice.

I'll keep adding to this as things come up; but at least there has been some progress
Jessica
Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

I picked up another wiring loom from a 2000 5.3L with a 4L60e and 4wd. I also got the hood for my S10 painted, its not great but it'll do for a while till I can use a paint booth or something.

Hoping to get a lot more progress done soon. I want to drive this thing!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

I got my bumper mounted finally. Nothing else major to report :-(
Jessica
Old 10-08-2014, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Way to keep plugging along at it!!

(And I like that hood on your S10, never seen one like that before!)
Old 10-09-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Way to keep plugging along at it!!

(And I like that hood on your S10, never seen one like that before!)
Thanks, its getting hard to keep being motivated when there isn't any progress. I'm thinking of tackling the front 12" brakes and hydroboost; and hooking it all up to the 305. That'll get a few parts installed and out of my hair.

(And I was a bit unsure on the S10 hood so its nice to hear someone else likes it)
Jessica
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Looking at picking up some 38# LS1 injectors (hopefully that'll work) and a set of spacers and tensioner for the water pump and that will finish up the accessories; so I'll end up using the truck bracket after all. Closer, closer, closer ;-)
Jessica

Last edited by 78_elky; 10-15-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Well I took a little trip this weekend, it was kind of a blast! I got to go back up to Seattle (used to live there and love it!) Picked up some things and my little S10 was a champ and did great all the way up there,

I picked up some 38# Lucas injectors

Also got an adjustable brake proportioning valve for when I install the 12" LS1 Camaro brakes. I also snagged a Corvette filter/regulator so my fuel system is well on its way now!

And just because I love Seattle here's a picture from Alki Beach across Eliott Bay

Once i get back to where the engine is on Monday I should have the accessories all sorted out and ready to test how they fit.

Jessica
Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Well I got back to the engine this afternoon and I got the accessories all worked out.

In case anyone ever wants to know what I used or they do a search and are looking for this.

I used a dirty dingo relocator for the idler pulley and I cut the truck mount where the idler used to attach to make room for the LS3 throttle body. Then I used an LS1 Camaro water pump and tensioner with spacers also from dirty dingo that incorporate a little hole and nipple so that the steam port can be plumbed right to the water pump. I'm still going to use the stock LQ4 alternator, power steering, and crank pulley.

There you have it, all in one place! Also some of what I looked up never said that these would fit with the LS3 intake but they do which is good to know

Old 10-31-2014, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

No pics but I got a set of injectors from ebay that fit perfect. I'll order a set of rails and that'll be it for the fuel system besides the hoses.
Jess
Old 11-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Teching In

That sounds great! I am leaning towards the LS3 stuff, I think I'll just buy a set of bare heads from the GM dealer and then assemble them with my yellow springs (if the cam I go with isn't too aggressive).

I'm a little confused on the throttle bodies though, my wiring is DBC and the LS3 parts I see are all DBW. I was thinking the computer doesn't really care if its one manifold or the other so its just a matter of me putting a DBC throttle body on the LS3 manifold. I'd rather run a throttle cable than have to find a pedal and a throttle body. Could I just use the throttle body from my LQ4 on the LS3 intake?
Jessica
I believe you may be correct - if the throttle body will fit on the manifold. Some are three bolt and some are four. In any event, you should be able to get an adapter.

I'm currently in the parts gathering stage to put an 06 Corvette LS2 in my 83 El Camino - I have the engine. My original thought was to switch to a DBC throttle body and that would allow me to stick with my non-electronic 700-R4 transmission with a TV cable kick-down. NOT! The computer doesn't care about the intake manifold but, the engine internals and the throttle body have to match. The earlier (Corvette) LS1 (99<) have DBC and a 24 tooth crankshaft reluctor wheel. The later LS1/LS2/LS6 have DBW and a 58 tooth reluctor wheel. Two separate shops who make/modify engine harnesses and re-flash ECUs told me they are unable to make the DBC work with a 58 tooth reluctor wheel engine. The solutions to that is to pull the crankshaft and change the reluctor wheel or, go with a DBW. I'm ditching my 700-R4 and going with a 4L60E or 4L65E transmission and DBW.

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build