Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in a '79 4X4 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in a '79 4X4 SWB

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and am hoping to do this project after the winter, but need a little advice. I'm looking for basic mods to increase performance of the little 5.3 without having to spend too much money. I've seen this article on car craft making over 400 horsepower with just a cam swap:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

Of course it's more than just a cam swap. It's running a single plane intake with a 750 Holley and long tubes. I'm just wondering what I can expect to see from a drop in cam and a set of headers with the stock intake as I want to keep the fuel injection. Also, that seems to be a pretty radical cam for my purposes. My current setup is a 355 small block with a decent cam and stall converter. That, with my gear ratio and tire size gives me junk fuel mileage.
I'm trying to stay with a cam that produces power almost off idle up to about 6,000 rpm to keep from having to run a high stall converter. I've found some cams on Summit Racing that seem to fit in that range, but wondering if you guys have had luck with other cams that wouldn't be as expensive. This is probably the closest to what I'm looking for:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-530-11/

The GM performance cam on their site is much cheaper, but is supposed to be the cam from the LS9 which is again more radical than I'd want:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12638427/

I've also been trying to figure out headers. Shorties would be the easiest for fitment, but does anyone know of a set of longtubes that would fit on a 5.3 in a 73-87 pickup without modification? Would long tubes that fit a newer truck with the same engine fit? Also, while I have the motor apart, should I have any head work done? Will the stock intake flow well enough, or should I be looking for an aftermarket piece? Same question for the throttle body?

I'm looking for a good torquey motor that hopefully gets decent mileage. I drive the truck primarily in the winter and tow an ATV trailer from time to time, but it also see's time at the sand dunes as well.

Any help you guys can give is appreciated.

A quick pic of the truck if anyone wants to see it

Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt worry about porting the heads. Leave 'em. Have you thought about picking up a used ls6 cam and valve springs? They can usually be had for fairly cheap and will give you the performance (I am assuming) that you are looking for. You may be able to pick up a set of headers for your truck and flanges for the the 5.3 Cut the old flanges off and weld the new ones on. A few of our sponsors sell the flanges. I cant remember off the top of my head which ones, but try a search. Im sure youll find them.

Quick Reply: 5.3 in a '79 4X4 SWB