Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64 Nova wagon with heidts

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 64 Nova wagon with heidts

Can someone give me their recipes for installing an lS1 4L60E into a 1964 nova wagon with a heidts powre steering front clip for a small block. I have seen a thread wher people where were cutting the frame mounts to moove them up and others did not mention it. What oil pan should I use? What mounts and mount adapters do I use? What manifolds can I use, or do I need headers? What pully set up? Is their a factory one that will work? Will I need to modify the trans tunnel? I want this as a daily driver and want dependable.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 66 nova but haven't done a swap yet.
Hope someone chimes in, but have you tried Steve's nova sight?
I bought the church boys shorty headers for my swap but I'm using the stock front end.
Here's the big question, are you going budget or you have money to burn?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Which Heidt clip? I have a Superide in a 67. LS2 with Auto craft pan. F body or Auto Kraft pan will hit the power rack if you don't move the motor up slightly. About 1/2". Have to use the Auto Kraft pan due to rear mount sway bar. The bar has jog bent into it that as it rotates with a-arm movement it will hit the fbody pan.
Before you bolt in the subframe measure it diagonally and level to make sure it's square. Measure the front of the tubes where raidator support bolts on to make sure it's not pulled in due welding heat or bad jig setup.
Check and grind as needed the upper coil mount. The top of the shock pivot could hit.
On the Superide it uses cheesy little 1/4 compression inserts to bolt on the sway bar mounts. Take my advice weld them in. Better yet cut a small access hole and bolt in with nuts from the inside.
Check all of the above BEFORE powder coating. Don't assume anything even after being assured the LS will fit "no problem".
If you still decide to use the Superide the TCI LS headers don't fit well. Hind site I should of went with Church.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

I just got the wagon tonight. It is a superride front clip. I have a ton of questions. I have a 5.3, aftermarket harness, Camero computer, water pump spacers and a car water pump. I have a stack of manifolds. I have an ls2 intake with an adapter plate, injectors, fuel rail, and a ls2 cam. I have access to a a ls1 and ls6 intake and a ls 6 cam. I have a truck pan, a or Corvette batwing pan and a regular regular Corvette pan. I am a nube and could use any advise you guides have. What combo can should I use
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Fbody stuff fits well. Keeps the alt low and the power steering pump as one unit. The corvette bat wing pan may work. The truck pan will stick out below the crossmember.

I'm reworking the front sway bar as we speak. Going with a Speedway Engineering splined front mount sway bar.

The stock superide springs are 300lb. With the supplied 3/4" sway bar they allow for allot of body roll. I replaced mine with 500 lb springs. A little stiff but with the weeny 3/4" sway bar handles the curves way better.

Just ordered the 2" drop spindles. The stock MII spindle sits a little high. Some thing to consider.

If you can fabricate skip the trans cross member option. It makes you run the exhaust between the floor pan and the crossmember. Very limited room for 2.5" exhaust and 3" won't fit. Also it's the first thing you can see from the side of the car. Made mine from 1.5 " square 1/8 wall tubing.
If you don't want to do that PM me I'll sell you my heidt cross member cheap. Also the down tubes. I made my own out of tubing and rod ends. I've seen the heidt clevis type down tube rod end option in person. In my opinion it looks like something from a 1960 farm tractor.Just my .02.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advise. It will be a few months befor I am ready to drop this thing in. The car is rock solid but it is a basket case. I may be interested in your cross member and your old springs. The springs in the front clip look really old like they did not come with the heidts front clip this was an abandon project and has neve been put on the road.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say coil springs are they coil over springs? The superide is designed with coilovers and should single adjustable for rebound.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

The car is stashed at a good friends shop. I have only seen it for about 15 minutes. I stopped buy on my way home and the springs look new and I think it is the older version not the super ride II
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXJEEP
Can someone give me their recipes for installing an lS1 4L60E into a 1964 nova wagon with a heidts powre steering front clip for a small block. I have seen a thread wher people where were cutting the frame mounts to moove them up and others did not mention it. What oil pan should I use? What mounts and mount adapters do I use? What manifolds can I use, or do I need headers? What pully set up? Is their a factory one that will work? Will I need to modify the trans tunnel? I want this as a daily driver and want dependable.
If the frame mounts are for a small block chevy, you are good. For exhaust, use the CBR headers by Stainless works, they come with the adapter plates and you can use a tall and narrow small block mount. The F-body pan will work. Neither the truck or the bat wing will work, one is too deep and the other too wide respectively. The stock f-body accessories work just fine. No tunnel mods needed with a trans up to 4L65E. CBR also makes a rear crossmember for your application. PM me for further details if you want...

T,
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Launching!

If it is a superide the frame mounts are prewelded from Heidts. No adjustment.
The fbody pan will fit IF the superide rear mount sway is removed. The design of the sway has jog bent into it so as the arms move up and down it pivots and runs into the fbody pan. I tried to make it work and had to change to an AutoKraft pan. The sump on the Autokraft pan is farther back compared to the fbody allowing the bar to swing in an arc. If and here's a tip for Heidt, make the bar straight no jog in the middle it would work. Just parallel the cross member with the bends on the end to meet the end links.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but I have a 67 Nova with a heidts mustang 2 front clip. What motor mounts can I use for an LQ4 swap. I just ordered a f-body pan and have a set of headers from SCHOENFELD ,since its a LQ4 it has a l80 trans with it. Will that trans work or is there a better setup ? In reguards to modifying the trans tunnel. I need to know about trans mounts and engine mounts. This IS NOT the superride front end.
Attached Thumbnails 64 Nova wagon with heidts-20130507_020058.jpg   64 Nova wagon with heidts-20130507_020147.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have been out of the loop for a while. The F body pan, short and wide mounts and eBay mount adapters to put the engine as far back as possible looks to be the ticket. I also bought the Shoenfield long tube Ls headers. The 3rd cylinder on the left#5 I think has the tube going up and over the last cylinder #7. I had to cut the tube at the weld and bend it forward and er weld. I also had to bend the lowest inner tubes on the left and right using a rose bud tip to clear the lower arms. I read they fit...haha. I have the car on a rotisserie now with no engine and don't know if my header mod worked. I hope to get back on it this fall. If you have any thing I can help with just ask
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Maxjeep, do you have a link for the eBay mounts and a part number for the Schoenfeld headers? Also, why did you have to modify them, were they hitting the frame? I'm putting a 6.0 in a 64 Nova with a heidts clip and need to find some budget priced headers.

Quick Reply: 64 Nova wagon with heidts