Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics

Well, my first ever post here on ls1tech.

This thread will be an ongoing diary of my journey.

I am taking an 89,000 mile unmolested 1986 Monte Carlo SS and dropping a 5.3 from a 1999 full size P/U into it. I also have a 4L80E that will be going in. The engine will be run by a Megasquirt 2 controlling both fuel and spark. For right now the 200R4 will be used to at least get the engine swapped in and running. I am also going to be running a single 70MM turbo in an effort break the 500 RWHP barrier.

If this is like every other forum I belong to then people will be craving pics. So lets keep the text to a minimum and on to the eye candy!

The donor victim. Stock down to the radio. I think it is time for a change. She is a little beat up and not quite the beauty she once was, but she isn't rusty anywhere and very straight. For 26 years old I think she looks tough as hell.

The truck 5.3 and 4L80E of unknown origin. I got everything with this motor, harness, ECM, manifolds, nuts and bolts, etc. That is my 2007 C6 in the background.

Name:  53.jpg
Views: 3147
Size:  91.7 KB

Also included was this cool set of Dirty Dingo motor mounts, not sure if I will use them or not, but they are kind of cool.

Name:  motormounts.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  95.5 KB

Here is remnant from another project of mine. A 70MM MasterPower turbo. I had this on an F150 I put together a few years ago but it wasn't right for my project and I pulled it. This turbo has about 10 miles on it. As it is a bit on the small side for a 5.3 it should spool instantly and make this 5.3 powered Monte an absolute beast on the street.

Name:  turbo2.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  46.0 KB

My MegaSquirt 2 before I started assembly. I have used MegaSquirt before and it just awesome. Yes I know about HP tuners, no I am not interested in using it.

Name:  MSKit.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  95.5 KB

The MS2 all assembled and being tested on the laptop. TunerStudio says this MS2 is good to go. Now I hope it will work properly to control spark and fuel in my Monte.

Name:  assebledMS.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  108.9 KB

The MS2, relay board, DB37 connector, and power distribution block all put together. I built the DB37 connector from scratch, I am kind of proud of that to be honest. These componets will be mounted to an aluminum sheet and secured under the dash. I like this shot. Building this stuff makes me happy.

Name:  finishedMS.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  99.1 KB

The 5.3 pulled apart. Everything looks great, but not so great that I am not going to change some things.

Name:  53apart.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  101.5 KB

Swapping in an LS9 cam. Yes, I know it is a blower cam, there are folks having very good results in turbo applications with this same part.

Name:  LS9cam.jpg
Views: 2714
Size:  83.2 KB

Putting on new PAC 1218 springs to help keep up with this cam.

Name:  springcompressor.jpg
Views: 2941
Size:  94.9 KB

The key to keeping a boosted engine alive. A wideband O2 sensor. In this case an Innovate MTX-L. I have used the Innovate LC-1 in the past and had great luck with it. We will see how this model works, it is cheaper than the LC-1 and comes with a gauge.

Name:  MTX-L.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  92.6 KB

More cool parts have shown up. What I think is the coolest part of this whole project, an Amphenol Aerospace cannon plug. This will be firewall mounted and will connect the MS2 to the engine with a simple twist on connection. I am betting there are some other avionics guys here that will recognize these parts, particularly if you are military.

Name:  cannonplug.jpg
Views: 2645
Size:  121.1 KB

The cannon plug assembled. The vertical flange will be mounted to the firewall and will hold all the computer connections, the circular connector to the left of that will have all the engine connections and will ratchet onto the firewall connector. These are awesome pieces. Sourcing them is confusing, and like anything that has a mil-spec on it, expensive!

Name:  assembledcannonplug.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  109.8 KB

Headgaskets designed for the mighty LS9. Check out all the layers in there. They should be a great turbo head gasket.

Name:  headgasket.jpg
Views: 2621
Size:  76.1 KB

Torquing down the drivers side head. Maybe I should have used head studs or reusable head bolts instead of these torque to yield bolts. Oh well, too late now!

Name:  torqueing.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  103.5 KB

Fuel system parts are here! A monster Bosch 044 pump will feed this beast and everything in the fuel system will be AN fittings and braided line. I have seen two different cars (neither mine) burn to the ground because of poor FI plumbing. It isn't worth screwing with, just spend the money up front and be safe.

Name:  fittings.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  157.4 KB

Starting to build the wiring harness for the MS2. Injector pigtails that I made up labels and put loom on. When the harness is all said and done it should look very nice.

Name:  injectorpigtails.jpg
Views: 2648
Size:  84.2 KB

More pics and info coming. Stay tuned!

Hope this was an okay introduction thread by the way.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Triple 9 connectors are awesome! I take it you have the correct crimp for the pins? Pretty sure they not the solder solder, but could be wrong.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Triple 9 connectors are awesome! I take it you have the correct crimp for the pins? Pretty sure they not the solder solder, but could be wrong.
Alright I may be stupid but by triple 9 connectors do you mean cannon plugs? haha! I have never heard that term before.

But if that is what you are talking about then I work with them every day so I have the crimping pliers. No soldering of connectors for me! And you are right, they are awesome!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Yea sorry, D38999 right?

I am looking do the same with my harness, dreading sitting down and specing out the connectors and backshells lol
Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Nice build... Please keep the pics coming.....
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Really digging this build man. I am a huge MS fan. I run the MS2 in my boosted Saturn. I also built the board myself. I bought a harness for it, but only because it was easier to buy the harness than to source all of the different color wires for the project. I am curious about the firewall plug. I have purchased a firewall plug from keep it clean wiring, but it doesn't look exactly like the one you are using. It is also a solder type. What is the problem with the solder type, and if it is a big enough deal, where can I buy the firewall plug like yours that is the crimp style? Those things are a pain in the *** to find, and as you stated, very confusing to look up.

James
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the MS2 still batch fire and waste spark?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Originally Posted by TypeSL2
Really digging this build man. I am a huge MS fan. I run the MS2 in my boosted Saturn. I also built the board myself. I bought a harness for it, but only because it was easier to buy the harness than to source all of the different color wires for the project. I am curious about the firewall plug. I have purchased a firewall plug from keep it clean wiring, but it doesn't look exactly like the one you are using. It is also a solder type. What is the problem with the solder type, and if it is a big enough deal, where can I buy the firewall plug like yours that is the crimp style? Those things are a pain in the *** to find, and as you stated, very confusing to look up.

James
Solder means the pins are permanent in the connector housing whereas the crimp style you can unpin for whatever reason.

Mcmastter sells em, Digikey etc sells em. Ebay is a cheap place to find em but you are pretty off buying a few and hoping to get the spec you need.

D38999 spec sheets are readily available, but can be confusing, along with the many types of backshells etc.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Yea sorry, D38999 right?

I am looking do the same with my harness, dreading sitting down and specing out the connectors and backshells lol
Dang, you do know your circular connectors! Yes it is a 38999 series. I just have never heard of them referred to as a triple 9, and I am in the business haha. It is a 26 pin by the way. Figuring out which one to order is so much harder when you aren't just pulling the part number from an IPB! It took me a LONG time to sort out what I wanted and then search out the right plug and backshells.

Originally Posted by TypeSL2

James

I personally think the MS is by far the greatest bang for the buck when it comes to aftermarket ECM's, regardless of what engine they are used on. There is no problem with the solder type connectors other than the assembly of them is very tedious. The crimp connectors are way easier and much more difficult to bridge two pins together, almost impossible in fact. You won't be able to just jump on a website anywhere and order a ready to assemble cannon plug. You need to know exactly what you are looking for, there are literally tens of thousands of different styles of these connectors available in every configuration you could ever dream of. If you are interested in reasearching them then go here, http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...ular+connector
I sourced mine from this site. Start at the "Circular" section. Notice that there are 128,046 items in just that section. This is a complex issue to be sure.

Originally Posted by Sarg
Is the MS2 still batch fire and waste spark?
The MS2 is still batch fire. The ignition is waste spark but keep in mind it is being fired off the factory 24 tooth reluctor ring in the engine. No need for a 36-1 ring and EDIS module to run it. The latest MS Extra code has 24 tooth decoding built right into it.

Having said that the MS3 will control each injector and each coil. In retrospect I wish I had gone to the MS3. But since I have experience with the MS2 I chickened out at the last minute and ordered it instead. I know it will work, and work very well. But I do kind of wish I had an MS3!!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Your build is great!

When I turned 16 (1986) my dad took me down to the local chevy dealership and told me I could pick out anything I wanted except a Corvette. I picked out a teal/blue 1986 Monte Carlo SS w/Tops, almost got a Camaro but I like the Monte better. The deal was if I got good grades and took care of the car it was mine. A month later after getting it he found out I was flipping the air cleaner lid over to get that waah-whaah sound from the carb. He warned me about taking better care of the car, a week later I forgot to fasten the drivers side T-top down good. Took of and about at 60 mph the T-top blew off and hit another car. I blamed it on a bad latch and kinda got away with it. The very next day he gets a call from my high school about me doing donuts in the school parking lot.

I came home and he asked for the keys, didnt tell me why. He pulled it around back and put a cover on it. Next day it was gone..... Never saw it again.... From then on I always had to by my own cars. At 16 I wasnt mature enough for a car like that, but now..... well the jury is still out on that one~
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep the pics coming, love G bodies!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking forward to your swap man. I am hoping to get my 6.2/4l80 into my monte this winter. I hope you get a jump start on the swap so I know how the 4l80 will sit in the car, lol. GL with the swap man! Btw, my montes silver as well!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Well my long weekend to work on the Monte didn't come off as planned. No big deal though, I did get at least some stuff done.

All the injector pigtails are done now. I think they look awesome personally.

Here is the start of a pigtail extension harness. Pigtail on the left, awesome crimp connectors covered in heatshrink in the center, and pigtail extension on the right.

Name:  preassembly.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  114.1 KB

All assembled and neatened up with wax string. If you aren't an avionics guy you probably have never heard of wax string for wiring purposes. Use it a few times and you will have such disdain for zip ties you won't believe it. It is a great product.

Name:  crimps.jpg
Views: 2526
Size:  128.5 KB

I built up the extensions for both the Idle Air Control and Throttle Position Sensor. I think these came out particularly nice but I am kind of biased since I built them up. Sadly my clear heatshrink was not big enough to fit over the IAC pigtail so it won't get a yellow label saying what it is. Oh well!

Name:  IACharness.jpg
Views: 2493
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  TPSharness.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  88.0 KB

The motor is pretty well put back together. No oil pan yet as the turbo oil drainback I ordered was the wrong size, so I am waiting for another one to show up. I'm getting there, keep checking back.

Name:  harnessbeginning.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  107.9 KB
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Man-Crush Warning

What do you do in the avionics field?

And why the butt connectors vs solder?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Looking good !! Check out my thread .. I have a silver 86 ss also..
Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Love this build! My very first car was a brand new blue/teal 1986 Monte Carlo SS with T-Tops. My dad took me down to the local Chevy Dealership and told me I could get anything except a Corvette. It was between an IROC and the Monte, I went with the Monte because it had T-Tops (hey-it was the '80's). He told me as long as I got good grades and took care of the car it was mine.... In less than 2 months he took it away because the school called and said I was doing donuts in the school parking lot and drag racing out in front of the school...

I was way too inmature to have a car like that at 16, now in my 40's Im still to inmature to have a car like your building....
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

What do you do in the avionics field?

And why the butt connectors vs solder?
I was a 2A5 guy for a long time, "B" shred, you know one of the normal instrument guys, not one of those COMM/NAV weenies! If you aren't Air Force then that means I was a guy that worked on guidance and control systems as well as cockpit intrumentation, black boxes, etc on Air Force jets, KC-135R's to be particular.

Butt connectors were utilized because solder connections are known for cracking and failing in high vibration environments. A properly made crimp will last a lifetime and will never suffer a fatigue crack and failure.

Originally Posted by 86monte
Looking good !! Check out my thread .. I have a silver 86 ss also..

On my way to check out your thread now! Thanks for the compliment by the way.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

A post Thanksgiving day update for anyone interested.

I started doing real actual car work today amazingly enough! Fired her up this morning and pulled her into the garage to start doing some demolition!

Name:  enginebay2.jpg
Views: 6215
Size:  139.9 KB

Had the engine hanging on the crane this afternoon.

Name:  305oncrane.jpg
Views: 3612
Size:  142.4 KB

Look at the room in that engine bay!!! It is like a cavern, turbo install should be very easy with that much room.

Name:  enginebay-1.jpg
Views: 7325
Size:  154.6 KB

The sad little 305 that has pushed this Monte around for so long. It sure does look like a beat piece of **** doesn't it?

Name:  greasy305.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  132.1 KB

Joe Dirt all the way baby. No hood, no engine, but parked out in my driveway, that's what I'm talking about.

Name:  JoeDirt.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  128.2 KB

Completed wiring harness, I think it looks pretty nice to be honest. I'll put the cannon plug on when the 5.3 is in the engine bay and I can trim the harness to the right length.

Name:  harnessfinished.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  118.3 KB

More to come, should be trial fitting the 5.3 this weekend, I'm getting fired up here!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Launching!

looks like an awesome swap man! my dads got an 85, love those montes!

Good luck man
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I spent some time out in the garage last night and for the first time the 5.3 was slid into the Monte and bolted up to the trans! It looks awesome in there. And it also looks like the truck intake WILL clear the hood, that is awesome news. The Dirty Dingo motor mounts are going to work but I need to trim them up a bit before I weld the frame mounts in place and bolt everything together.

Name:  53in.jpg
Views: 4911
Size:  153.4 KB

The bad news is that the truck oil pan is WAY too deep to work on the street. The nearest speed bump would be just waiting to rip the pan wide open. I have found a couple of different pans that I think will work to replace it.

Name:  oilpan.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  115.0 KB

From the front.

Name:  oilpan2.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  118.1 KB

The drivers side exhaust manifold is going to be a challenge. I couldn't fit the truck manifold in there. The steering shaft is just too close. So that is something that has me sweating a little bit right now. But I know I can figure it out!

Stay tuned, more to come.

Quick Reply: 86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics