Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do I need to look for?

I am a hot rodder from way back, and always have been old school. You know sbc, carburetors, etc. They have served us well over the years but I have a new project and I would like to step up to a Ls engine.

So here is the deal. I have a 76 Luv truck that we are building for street strip duty. I am planing on putting in a Ls with a turbo or 2. I dont want to rebuild the engine that would get to expensive and at that point I might as well go all out. So what would be a good year and model to look for? I see a lot of the 5.3 setups out there. The 6.2 engines seem to be expensive and since I will be boosting it anyway not sure I need one.

So give me some ideas guys.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the build thread from the bullet. I have been doing a lot of work to Voodoo lately so haven't had time to update the thread, but I am progressing on the build.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...746&highlight=

Last edited by frige; 05-29-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Wow no help. sigh. No problem I can handle it. Have a good one.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the forced induction section. Read any thread you would like...
Old 05-30-2015, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Lol and I thought Yellowbullet was rude. Its cool guys I was just looking for a short cut I can do the research, Im just lazy is all. Have a good day.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Well you being lazy doesn't inspire us to do your work for you. Ask a specific question on any subject and you will get responses all day long from people who are happy to help.

Ask broad questions like "What all do I need to swap XXX into XXX?" And no one is going to answer.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frige
Lol and I thought Yellowbullet was rude. Its cool guys I was just looking for a short cut I can do the research, Im just lazy is all. Have a good day.
With an attitude like that and implying that the LS1tech members are rude how do you expect to get any help. Maybe YOU should get off of your *** and do a little research. When your attitude changes you may just get all the help you need. Now YOU have a nice day. Rich
Old 05-31-2015, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GEN 3 engines are the ones to look for. ones without VVT and DoD (variable valve timing and displacement on demand).

By getting the earlier engines you will save the cost of having to "retrofit" the engine back to the same as earlier setups.

You can do pretty much the same setup for the LS as the SBC only the engine mounts will be a bit different.

Any engine from a 4.8 all the way to a 7.0 will fit in the exact same mounts because all the engines are externally the exact same dimensions.

If you are wanting to run a turbo setup, you would probably have better luck using the 4.8 with 317 heads. Compression will be down to a reasonable boost friendly number and with a cam/spring/pushrod combo, you could easily top 600 horsepower at a manageable boost level for a long lasting ride. Going up to the 5.3 would get you a bit more for horsepower but you will lose a little on the compression ratio.

And lastly, you don't start out asking for our opinion/recommendations and call folks names and be insulting.

We (about any one who reads this) will be more than happy to tell you and your insults to take a long walk off a short pier.

Hope the above information helps you out, and personally, I believe the next step would be for you to apologize for your comments.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
GEN 3 engines are the ones to look for. ones without VVT and DoD (variable valve timing and displacement on demand).

By getting the earlier engines you will save the cost of having to "retrofit" the engine back to the same as earlier setups.

You can do pretty much the same setup for the LS as the SBC only the engine mounts will be a bit different.

Any engine from a 4.8 all the way to a 7.0 will fit in the exact same mounts because all the engines are externally the exact same dimensions.

If you are wanting to run a turbo setup, you would probably have better luck using the 4.8 with 317 heads. Compression will be down to a reasonable boost friendly number and with a cam/spring/pushrod combo, you could easily top 600 horsepower at a manageable boost level for a long lasting ride. Going up to the 5.3 would get you a bit more for horsepower but you will lose a little on the compression ratio.

And lastly, you don't start out asking for our opinion/recommendations and call folks names and be insulting.

We (about any one who reads this) will be more than happy to tell you and your insults to take a long walk off a short pier.

Hope the above information helps you out, and personally, I believe the next step would be for you to apologize for your comments.
Well said. Rich
Old 06-01-2015, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by frige
I would like to step up to a Ls engine. So what would be a good year and model to look for? I see a lot of the 5.3 setups out there. The 6.2 engines seem to be expensive and since I will be boosting it anyway not sure I need one.

So give me some ideas guys.

Any 5.3 from 99 up to 05 will be the most reasonably priced...turbo a cheap 5.3 to get the bugs worked out of your install...then you have time to find a better deal on a 6.0...I'm driving the $hit out of my little 5.3 while I build my 6.0 forged bottom end as time and funds allow..

Quick Reply: What do I need to look for?