Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 FD RX-7 matchbox build 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 FD RX-7 matchbox build 2.0

So some back story for this build thread. I've had the car for too many years, and in that time I drove it for just over a year under its own power, registered, and raced it every chance I got. To fill my void of not driving it I went through a S13, BB6, S14, EP3, M Coupe, and a MKIV Supra with a T67.... all failed to trill as much as the FD with the LS2.

To make building this car that much easier, I'm located on the West Coast of Canada where auto parts are non-existent even for the LS unless you want to pay ridiculous prices (think 10k for a 98 LS1 with 90k miles on it.... right....) registering a car is only a step below California as far as rules and regulations, and being an artist for a living doesn't mean you always have some spare coin heh. BUT, we do what we have to for our passions and don't look back.

The start:

The inspiring beginning, 13b, auto, picture a nice stream of fire where the hood used to be and it had been rear ended... considering, the bay was not in bad shape at this point.

Fixed up interior, installed MT pedals, got it some new skin to go over the beaten body, had the rear arches cut and welded for widebody wheel clearance.

First subframe for the car...engine went in and was quite crooked like the sub-frames fabricator heh, anyways initial motor installed somewhat okay but not really.

New location for fuses etc

New suspension to replace lopsided blown shocks

New custom harness work that a friend did for me, I have a 16lb box of wiring that was leftover from what I gave him. Its all tucked and hidden in the chassis for the cleanest bay possible.

Picked up some authentic Mazdaspeed seats for cheap.... yea they are white, don't worry I sell them for more then I paid later Also you can see my GTech Pro super gauge on the column.

Bought a hood, car was ready to head off to paint.

While at paint, something beautiful came in the mail, so I had to immediately have it powder coated in red

Annnnnd its in full matchbox racer version 1.0!

Under some sun

Doing what your supposed to do with your car, racing! - photos are courtesy of "I think I'm a photographer because I have a SLR so I'm going to charge $5 for each photo in high res even if they look a bit like poo" which is why they are in low res with watermarks heh. Car performed like a champ, I had traffic most of the day with EvoX's playing catch up and AMG cars not moving or getting their slow asses off the track. Not bad for a new car and rusty driver, car did show what parts were lacking to hold up to the massive power increase as well as where some parts were form>function, but it was fun.

Specs at this point:
LS2 with f-body accessories and T56
220/550 LS6 type cam
Mild head polish
Scarab clutch - I've never heard of this company but its held up no problem
JTR ceramic coated 1-7/8th longtubes
Y-straight 3" exhaust with HKS Carbon-Ti muffler
TR6 plugs
PTM 92mm TB
Aluminum DS
Samberg mounting parts
Stance GR+ coilovers
Improved racing front strut bar
R-Magic rear strut bar
Work LS-105 18x9-0 w/245/35/18 and 19x10-1 w/275/35/19
Full Origin-Lab kit with 25mm front and 50mm rear fenders and RE rear diffuser
Evo-R "poo" sleek lights

So now its onto Version 2.0 - where almost everything in the above list that failed or was a bit too street/show must go

More to come!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the idea, but I would have loved the car more if you left all the body kit and hood stuff stock :[
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

The car looks great! Congratulations on getting it done. You did a TON of work to it!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
Love the idea, but I would have loved the car more if you left all the body kit and hood stuff stock :[
Fear not! That was version 1, it all is changing and then that frown will turn upside down heh.

Originally Posted by 71Fakes
The car looks great! Congratulations on getting it done. You did a TON of work to it!
Thanks, lots to go still to get it where I want it to be.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Brakes and suspension: The oem ones are great with upgraded pads and rotors, but there is a particular R35 at the track that I want to chase down, so I'm going to have to up my game a whole lot as well as my car.

Carbon ducts, Racing Brake front and rear kit with open slot rotors, 929 MC upgrade, RE toe and trailing arms, ABS will no longer be in the car.

My prized Quantum coilovers with external resovoirs and Nova 14k springs upgrade - these things are ridiculous light and the build quality is amazing. I want to keep streeting my car so these are about as crazy as I will go with upgrading the suspension.

Now when I was getting an alignment, one of the camber bolts snapped. Justin sent me some new ones right away, but as some of you have seen, I had mine cut and welded a bit different so the new plates and the oem plates are one single piece instead of two welded together.

Replaced those very bright, very white seats, sitting on fixed Atomic Rex mounts

Interior has been pulled in preparation for the full cage

The cage will be based off of the RE-Amemiya 2004 street legal track car, and while keeping on theme with proven parts from Amemiya, new front bumper with full carbon under-tray + pro-canards (not pictured), and functional vented carbon hood I found locally (This is changing soon )

A proper Carbonetics 2-way for good measure

All buttoned up and ready to be torn apart, last shots of the engine before it gets yanked out

Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Really liking the upgrades man. Definitely think it is going to be a much better looking and performing car for the 2nd build. In for more updates.

James
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

thats one sexy rx7, I love what you've done!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TypeSL2
Really liking the upgrades man. Definitely think it is going to be a much better looking and performing car for the 2nd build. In for more updates.

James
Thanks! I think so as well, this time its all function over form.

Originally Posted by gobaltss
thats one sexy rx7, I love what you've done!
Thanks, it's almost time to send it off to paint....

New cowl hood, very vette-looking mix in there but it has a raised cowl and side vents for a reason, I will need the clearance

60mm wider front and rear fenders in a very OEM flow, I will have the shop blend in the rears. This time around no side skirts or rear bumper like before, just side steps (feed ones similar to the zr1 sides) and a rear diffuser.

I do have a problem with the gas cap, I would like to re-locate the fill location from the rear fender as even for a factory cap its massive. I have been toying with the idea of relocating the fill behind my tail light in the hatch as it would still technically be on the outside of the car, or else a race type cap in the fender... but I'm not a fan of how late 90s rice they tend to look.

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears...

Once that is sorted its time to pull the LS2 (has maybe 5000miles on it ha ha) while the cars off to paint, and tune it up for instant response NA power setup
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Can't wait to see what you have in store for the motor. The flares are perfect with that hood. Somewhere out there, there are RX7 purists having a stroke.

James
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

magnacharger?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

whoa. This is amazing. I am in Surrey. I dream of putting an lsx engine into my 07 3 series. I would love to check this car out. Where are you doing all of this work?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TypeSL2
Can't wait to see what you have in store for the motor. The flares are perfect with that hood. Somewhere out there, there are RX7 purists having a stroke.

James
When it fires up again that should finish off any purist fanboys!

Originally Posted by LILHEMI
magnacharger?
Looking to keep it NA for track duty

Originally Posted by mapleridge
whoa. This is amazing. I am in Surrey. I dream of putting an lsx engine into my 07 3 series. I would love to check this car out. Where are you doing all of this work?
Friends with garages mostly, I am not the most liked by my neighbors heh.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Update long over due. Things had gotten way to busy with work, but a lot has happened and changed with the car. The cage was not at all how I wanted, so I ended up taking it to someone else to finish and salvage what was there. The turbo kit sold and in its place is something a little bit special...

First up is the cage, the original guy didn't bend the tubes as tight as I asked so I am pretty limited on room. My buddy and I had to do some magic to get the seat low enough to have helmet clearance, I'm still not happy with it, but its now at a point I can live with it.

Some pics of the car at the shop getting the cage fixed and having the gusset plates welded in. The A-pillars, roof and C-pillars have the gusset plates.

Teching In

Interior time!

I will never ever, ever... carbon wrap a FD interior again. What a massive pain in the ***! Anyways, after many angry hours matching up carbon weaves and trying not to bung up the edges, all the plastics are now carbon wrapped and I painted the cage black before putting the dash and doors back on. Before the center console went back together I also installed a new MGW short shifter, probably one of the best mods so far since the swap heh.

Dash + cage with gussets = lots of trial and error getting fitment to work. I am pretty happy with the end result, all heater vents work, wiring is serviceable, dash can be removed pretty quick and from first glance you don't notice cage from outside the car.

Onto pics! Because that is what we all like heh.

Money shots lol...

Teching In

Battery clean up which was actually a lot of fun for me heh, and power to all gauges!!!

Replaced the factory bulbs with red LED's for some nicer light output.

Some goodies from Ken over at Shine!
- Carbon GT diffuser with center vents, and vortex generators
- Carbon lip spoiler
- Carbon side steps

The FD is awesome for transporting parts!

and maaaan does the new Camaro look HUGE!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Before picture and update overdose heh, I replaced the nasty original camber bolts, burped the new rad and got the car ready to be towed to the paint shop finally!

Before

After

And off to paint she goes!

Oh yea!

And I bought these to throw on the engine when its back from paint, in case you guys were wondering why I would get a hood like that...
Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

great build, you in Vancouver? I am over the border near Bellingham. I've found some cheap parts up there, but the engines are not cheap at all.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Know Im way late on this thread but i'd love to see the pics after that last paint job!!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

bodykit looks garish unpainted so i will withhold judgement til you paint it :p
Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

itb's!!!!!!! can't wait to hear those babys. what brand did you go with.

Quick Reply: LS2 FD RX-7 matchbox build 2.0