Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor wiring has me stumped

Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Sensor wiring has me stumped

I'm rewiring my rock crawler. The motor is a 2000 ls1 from a camaro. I'll admit, I probably know just enough to be dangerous.

I ran across this issue accidentally. It may be normal, but it makes no sense to me.

If I have one of my o2 sensors plugged in, I am getting continuity between the 12v pink sensor wire and the ground wires in my harness. I was using the pink wire from the MAF sensor for testing.

I made a little video just to try to clarify how I was testing. As soon as I unplug the 02 sensor, I lose continuity. At first I thought it must be an issue with the o2 sensor wiring, but I've tried 3 different sensors and they all react the same.

It seems to me this would cause a short to ground if I put 12v on the pink sensor wire.

Thanks

http://youtu.be/IVBA6taFToo
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Actually, on closer inspection i'm getting 4 ohms resistance (assuming I'm reading my meter correctly).
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video is private.

Pink wire should be for the heater circuit and should ground through the sensor when plugged in. Not sure what the resistance spec is.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
Video is private.

Pink wire should be for the heater circuit and should ground through the sensor when plugged in. Not sure what the resistance spec is.

Thanks for clearing that up! I attempted to change the video to public.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

I was gonna mention the low resistance readings but you figured it out. What exactly is the issue you're having(I didn't watch the video if mentioned).
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
What exactly is the issue you're having(I didn't watch the video if mentioned).
No specific issue, I was just verifying some connections and was surprised to see my meter was giving a continuity tone between the power and ground wire on the o2 sensor since the MAF uses the same power wire. I guess I thought I had a short somewhere. Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This should help

and it does not ground thru the sensor...it grounds thru the pcm
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the schematic for them, in case you need it. It sounds like you have a short somewhere in the harness.
Attached Thumbnails O2 Sensor wiring has me stumped-oxygen-20sensors.gif  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting the schematics! I don't think there is short in the main harness, because I only have continuity when I connect the harness to the o2 sensor. To be honest, I'm getting more confused. When I read i r teh noobz's post, I thought I was alright. Now I'm getting concerned I'm going to fry something.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

The schematic posted above clearly shows the pink wire going through the heater circuit and then to chassis/engine ground. I would expect there to be some continuity there if the MAF positive wire is shared by the O2 heaters.

Measure the resistance of the sensor heater. See if its close to the 4 ohms you're getting.

Do all 4 O2s act the same?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ls1tj
Thanks for posting the schematics! I don't think there is short in the main harness, because I only have continuity when I connect the harness to the o2 sensor. To be honest, I'm getting more confused. When I read i r teh noobz's post, I thought I was alright. Now I'm getting concerned I'm going to fry something.
Bolt those ground wires to the back of the head, the way they are supposed to be. Plug in the O2 sensor and then try the test again, just grounding the meter to the engine block. Has there been power connected to the harness yet?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
The schematic posted above clearly shows the pink wire going through the heater circuit and then to chassis/engine ground. I would expect there to be some continuity there if the MAF positive wire is shared by the O2 heaters.

Measure the resistance of the sensor heater. See if its close to the 4 ohms you're getting.

Do all 4 O2s act the same?
I only have 2 o2s, the rear ones have been deleted. I also have one on my bench that had been replaced some time ago because I was not getting a reading on it from my scan tool.

All 3 sensors I've checked are showing approx. 4 ohms. If I have both o2s plugged in and check resistance between the maf positive wire and ground I'm getting approx 2 ohms resistance.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Bolt those ground wires to the back of the head, the way they are supposed to be. Plug in the O2 sensor and then try the test again, just grounding the meter to the engine block. Has there been power connected to the harness yet?
Did that, see post right above this one. No power since I've re-wired it.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 Sensor wiring has me stumped