Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! 71 Chevelle single turbo ls1 build help..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! 71 Chevelle single turbo ls1 build help..

Hey guys ok so im starting a new project...i hunted down my fathers original 71 chevelle and its a wreced so resto of course but i wana do a little tribute to him..his old school muscle with my new modern muscle technology... Now my issue is i have my 01 ss camaro that will be the donor...im going to do a ls1 turbo build...just some basic info needed....if anyone has a build sheet or list or thread on there swaps that would be awesome...
first...is the stock ls1 gonna hold up to boost not going crazy just looking around 450-500 maybe...this is gona be a driver...not a show or race...but a driver to take to the track once and a while..
Another thing what type of piping am i gonna need and what sizes are you guys running...
what truck manifolds are gonna work on this swap..
what intercooler specs and radiator specs are you all using...
whats a good basic boost cam for the ls1..

Oh and btw i am using the t56 with this swap...

just a side note the Whole car is apart right now....so fabbing will be easier...while im in process of trying to get panels for this car...dan peopel not taking care of this gorgeous cars...anybody wana donate anythign be my guest it would mean alot i lost alot of stuff during Hurricane Sandy so this is gonna mean alot to me and my daughter like my father and i built his cars..
Thanks guys hope you can help
Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There are tons of chevelle builds and several turbo builds, I bet between them you can find most of what you need. A bodies are for sure covered here. Truck manifolds without egr might be best, should be fairly easy to come by here or performancetrucks.net but I think holley now makes some cast ones that could work. I saw some guy saying he was going to run an ls7 cam, not sure whatever happened with that but it might be a cheap option. There is a free stuff thread in the classifieds section, but it's usually small stuff. Charity means a lot to everyone, but considering our toy cars are hardly necessities or actually important in any way calling it "donating" just sounds odd hahah.
Is your camaro a stick? That would make things easier since you could just pull everything out and more or less drop it in, might want to swap oil pans and relocate the a/c though.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...gle-turbo.html
Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS6 cam works great and are cheap.

Ron
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys means alot...alot of my parts were lost or destroyed during hurrican sandy so trying to piece alot together again.....and Chuckd71 is that your build or a different member...cause thats the setup im looking to do but with my t56 tranny and a ls1 out of my 00 ss.....that was my inspration...that car is perfect
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdsuperstreet
thanks guys means alot...alot of my parts were lost or destroyed during hurrican sandy so trying to piece alot together again.....and Chuckd71 is that your build or a different member...cause thats the setup im looking to do but with my t56 tranny and a ls1 out of my 00 ss.....that was my inspration...that car is perfect
Thats actually my car. Feel free to ask any questions in this thread or PM. I suggest in this thread as the information is public so others can read, learn and search in the future!

Thanks for the compliments

-Matthew
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

.and Chuckd71 is that your build or a different member...cause thats the setup im looking to do but with my t56 tranny and a ls1 out of my 00 ss.....that was my inspration...that car is perfect
Looks like ls1_chevelle jumped in, I looked at his build a lot when getting started on mine. Mine is in my sig but I can't really advise trying to use it for much. Here is another turbo guy https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...4-8-turbo.html
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

"ls1 chevelle" no problem that car is awesome...that was my plan to not worry about what the car looks like really just to have a driver...drive it like its ment to be...oh man theres so many questions to ask...if you only had a price sheet and place to get the items you got that would be awesome but we all know thats near imposible now with this economy all prices change...basically i wana build a simple basic driver turbo ls1....with the intake and everything just to drop a stock ls1 in with a turbo...i know i wana put the fbody brakes on the chevelle and know brp hotrods has the conversion parts...but like what size fuel lines should i run for just a simple turbo car...would you ever consider doing some work for anybody with the weldign aspect of things...im not handy with a welder since i do not own one...thansk chuck ill be checking in on ur build thread aswell i guess imma try to take pieces of all the cars that inspire me..
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

another question is what type of truck manifolds am i looking for ??? what year model stuff like that??
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

hey ls1 chevelle where did you get all your stainless from? what size wall is that...im looking at a order from stainless works just trying to figure out what imma need to get for the single turbo setup...with fron mount..what type of bends and items did you get..id like to order everything at once so i dont need to keep piecing together thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

how are you guys running your oil feed nd return lines
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey you could help me out and buy my setup
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-ls-motor.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...tin-there.html
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you lacated? I would be interested in helping with some welding if you are close enough to me. I am not a pro but I am a tech by trade and all my welds are strong. If you feel like bringing the car once you have the engine mounted I can help build your hot side. I may even build a single based on my car and sell it. May also sell my twins and go with single. Not sure.

As for price list, I did keep a good sheet of all the things I spent, just haven't put them to PC yet. I have right around $4K with all the stuff including HPT and some street tuning. I bought most stuff from Ebay, i needed to be cheap.

Read through my thread if you haven't, I did some really cool things and made plenty of mistakes. I can say take the advice of others, I didn't and did some stuff twice.

Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

"ls1 chevelle" no problem that car is awesome...that was my plan to not worry about what the car looks like really just to have a driver...drive it like its ment to be...oh man theres so many questions to ask...if you only had a price sheet and place to get the items you got that would be awesome but we all know thats near imposible now with this economy all prices change...basically i wana build a simple basic driver turbo ls1....with the intake and everything just to drop a stock ls1 in with a turbo...i know i wana put the fbody brakes on the chevelle and know brp hotrods has the conversion parts...but like what size fuel lines should i run for just a simple turbo car...would you ever consider doing some work for anybody with the weldign aspect of things...im not handy with a welder since i do not own one...thansk chuck ill be checking in on ur build thread aswell i guess imma try to take pieces of all the cars that inspire me..
Im up in Canada and busy with work, unable to help you on the welding aspect.

Agreed on the places to order. Its all over the map and whoever has the best prices at the time!

2003+ on the truck manifolds tend to not have the EGR stuff on the manifolds. You only want truck manifolds that do not have the passenger side EGR provisions.

I got my stainless from Columbia River Mandrel Bending and Ace Stainless. However I would suggest going mild steel if you are on a budget and want to get the car on the road. You can always ceramic coat it after. High temp paint the mild steel for now. I have built both mild and stainless... mild saves you some money if you decide to ceramic coat, vs non coated stainless(wouldn't suggest coating stainless, personal opinion)

Oil feed is from right above the oil filter housing. CBR performance makes a trick block that bolts right up. Or you can find a camaro/corvette factory block plate, drill and tap it for 3/8" npt and run your fittings from there. Draining is ABOVE oil level, ideally as high as possible on the oil pan, on the side of the pan. Very front portion of the pan below the timing cover works(behind the balancer) is another alternative location. Both pictures can be found via searches in the forced induction section.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Are you guys running cats...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

what do you guys think about aluminum intercooler piping?think itll be strong enuf for the t76 and 5.7-6.0 motor with 3" piping?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

what do you guys think about aluminum intercooler piping?think itll be strong enuf for the t76 and 5.7-6.0 motor with 3" piping?
Absolutly no cats. No reason for them on a 42yr old car. I use 3" aluminum tubing from an Ebay kit with no problems.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
Absolutly no cats. No reason for them on a 42yr old car. I use 3" aluminum tubing from an Ebay kit with no problems.
awesome...looks like im ordering a intercooler kit....what did your kit contain
Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome...looks like im ordering a intercooler kit....what did your kit contain
I measured and bought an intercooler to fit the front of the car, then I ordered the cheapest 3" kit that I saw. It has 2 each 90*,180*,45*, and straight. Came with all the clamps and rubber unions too. Nice kit.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

so did you guys use the stock ls1 wairing harness in your cars or how did you do the electronics..? and it looks like im keeping the ls1 and the t56 together for th swapp... i always liked stick.. ill get money somhow maybe partout the ss

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! 71 Chevelle single turbo ls1 build help..