Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 Swap in '99 Tahoe

Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L92 Swap in '99 Tahoe

I have been thinking about doing a cool sport truck project with a 99 2 door Tahoe, and one of the goals of the build was to replace the Vortec with a later L92 motor. I would also like to use the 6l80e trans, and would probably do some upgrades to the handling setup.

Anyway, the post is to get feedback on the engine swap pitfalls/issue and if anybody has any experience in doing this swap. I have done this type of engine swap before but that was in a Chevelle using an LS1 and that had been pretty well engineered by the time I did it. I have also found some of the other Tahoe/LS swap threads e.g. the S&P build, and I have read all of those, but this is thread is specific to California and this engine swap, or any others that are out there that are legal. Still formulating the plan, and haven't started anything yet.

Welcome any and all constructive feedback that anybody has to offer.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump, AnybodY?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That swap will yield some good power. It would be nice to see a swap like that, but it will cost more and be more complicated than a gen 3 swap.

In the end it all depends on your goals. Mechanically the engines should bolt the same, the electrical is a different story.

If your going to diy some things, information on the L92 will be a little more scarce than the gen 3 engines like the lq4 and lm7...

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vortec engines bolted in just like any GEN 1 or 2 small blocks so you will need the adapter plates to mount the engine. As for the wiring its just a matter of getting a harness for whatever engine you choose to use. Making the gauges work might be an issue unless you want to use aftermarket ones. Over all it shouldn't be that difficult of a swap. I know there are several trucks from that same generation that have LS swaps. I would search for one of those builds and see what they came up with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L92 Swap in '99 Tahoe