Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic clutch question...

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hydraulic clutch question...

Hi All,

I have a "possible" conversion and want to run a hyd clutch. There is no room next to the master cylinder, as the "manual" version of this car came with linkage that exited the floor (through the toeboard) at a 45° angle en route to the z-bar. I'm wanting to know, if I were to reinforce the toeboard and mount a remote reservoir master at this hinky angle and tap into one of the master cylinder reservoirs for fluid, would this be a problem?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how tight is your space next to the master? Is it like this? Green = Brake master, blue = clutch master

Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's what I'm dealing with. Had this been a manual car, the clutch linkage rod would exit through the toeboard (perpendicular to the surface to the right of the master cylinder and well below it). There's no room except for in the toeboard area, where there is plenty. The manual rod "hole" is even there, just covered with rubber mat. My plan is to either reinforce the toeboard with 1/8" plate, make a bracket between the toeboard and frame, or both. This would allow me to mount a "remote style" master cylinder to the toeboard directly in line with the pedal. My question is, does the remote master care what position it's in? I think not, but would like some other opinions. Also opinions on the "safeness" of tapping into a master cylinder reservoir for fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic clutch question...-100_2303s.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default clutch master mount

Russ I dont think the MC cares what angle its mounted at, look at the 1999 and up Camaros they're mounted at an angle, I think as long as you get enough fluid into it from the resivour it'll work ok. As far as tapping into the brake MC for fluid thats probably ok to as long as theres enough reserve for both, I think the new Corvettes use the same resivour for both.
What is that little thing? looks like a Nash of some sort.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Fourth gen F-Bodies and C5 Corvettes are a perfect example of what you need. I would NOT try to use the brake reservoir for the clutch for several reasons. The first that come to mind are: 1 brakes are way more important than a clutch in a failure situation and 2 the clutch fluid gets very dirty with aggressive driving in this setup. This will make the pedal feel weak and contaminate your brake fluid.

Just do a remote reservoir. The beauty of a remote reservoir is it can be mounted anywhere as long as it is above the master.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Fourth gen F-Bodies and C5 Corvettes are a perfect example of what you need. I would NOT try to use the brake reservoir for the clutch for several reasons. The first that come to mind are: 1 brakes are way more important than a clutch in a failure situation and 2 the clutch fluid gets very dirty with aggressive driving in this setup. This will make the pedal feel weak and contaminate your brake fluid.

Just do a remote reservoir. The beauty of a remote reservoir is it can be mounted anywhere as long as it is above the master.
Exactly what he said!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think as long as the master does not trap air in it due to how it is mounted, you would be OK. If the reservoir allows the air to escape from the master or there is a bleed at the highest point of where air can get trap, it should work.

My two cents...

BC
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass

agreed 100%. Look at the one in my picture. As long as the remote reservoir is higher in elevation than the clutch master cylinder, you should be fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't see how or why the "hydraulics" of a clutch system would get any dirtier than that of a brake system, maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing it...

Anyhow, the car is a '63 Rambler American (wtf happened to Photobucket? All my stuff there has been downsized to icons!)
Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic clutch question...-100_2319s.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Default clutch hydraulics

holy cow my wife learned how to drive in one of those things, I still call them Nash'es. Hope you get it done I'd love to see it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I don't see how or why the "hydraulics" of a clutch system would get any dirtier than that of a brake system, maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing it...
I've read theories from tons of people on that and they all agree on the problem but there are several theories on the true cause and thus solution. What I do know is I have at one point or another replaced all the hydraulics on my 02 WS6 and still get dirty fluid from time to time. I simply bleed it once a month or so of driving and let that be that. It's something I learned from some Corvette guys.

If you saw the crud I got out of the clutch if I skip a round of bleeding you would see why I say there is no way you want that mixed in with your brakes! My brake fluid doesn't get bad for years in comparison.

Ramblers are cool cars. I can't wait to see it completed!

Did you attach the picture or link it directly from photobucket? I always link mine directly from my personal site where I host them, attaching them makes them thumbnails.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Brake fluid is the same or worse, they all need an occasional flush. I got caught with my pants down last year, 130 miles from home with a front caliper locked up. Had to take it to a local shop where the only thing they could find wrong was dirty fluid. They flushed enough to get me home and I promptly ran 2 QTs through it before it finally came clean.

My Photobucket account had somehow switched itself over to the "mobile" version where all the pix and thumbs were barely big enough to tell what they were. That site has some serious phantoms at work!

IIRC, they were Nashes until '55. Not sure what I'm gonna do for a drivetrain, I'm tempted to "rice" it with a Mitsu turbo 4-banger. The worst part about that would be the sound. The factory weight with an all-iron I-6 and auto is 2450#, so whatever goes in will make it scoot. I've had thoughts of a Caddy CTS DOHC V-6 too, 305 HP stock and 30 mpg's...

Last edited by S10xGN; 01-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Default clutch hydraulics..

nah put an LS in that sucker...dont forget Nash became American Motors thats why I call 'em Nash'es...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydraulic clutch question...