Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpeedHut CAN BUS gauges OBDII port

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SpeedHut CAN BUS gauges OBDII port

Has anyone here tried SpeedHut's new CAN BUS gauges? They plug straight into the OBDII port and just daisy chain off of each other. They would be great for LS swaps. I'm looking into them for my next swap and was wondering if anyone has tried them yet?

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/freedom-gauges/36:5

Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now that is cool!

i wonder if they will make them in the Reveloution series guages?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 AM
TECH Veteran

neat! but theyre pretty ugly
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

They let you custom configure the fonts, pointers, and even add custom logos if you want. I'm actually planning on retrofitting them into my original bezels and re-screening them into the original font from my original gauges.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Can't see the other side of the plug. Does it have a provision for plugging in a diagnostic tool, w/o unplugging the gauge plug??
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We have had customers that were using this set up, not sure the results of it though. Dakota is making something similar to this. I believe they don't have a pass through for a diagnostic tool (you would have to unplug it), but I could be wrong.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've seen Y cables for the OBDII port but I don't have any experience using them. I would think as long as you weren't trying to read and write at the same time that it should work.

However if you were hooking up a laptop to do logs then most software has a set of gauges you could use while driving and logging so I really don't see a problem. It definitely would make for a cleaner install since you don't have to add all the other sensors.

The Dakota Digital box only provides speed and tach signals. This is the only one I've seen that drives all the pertinent gauges.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm really diggin the Speedhut gauges too ! I like the that I can customize it which allows me to put "Datsun LSX" on the gauge face. Plus the price is better then Autometer too. I plan at least a speedo and tach from them just trying to decide to go GPS speedo or not !
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

GPS speedo takes worrying about it out of the equation if you swap gears, wheels or transmissions with any frequency. Haven't had the chance to use mine yet but that was the reasoning for going that route, not sure what other benefits there might be.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

This is cool! Now those running a 6l80 can have a speedometer that doesn't rely on a GPS signal. I would think you could cut the OBDII plug off and just hardwire them, all you would need would be a power, ground and the data wire. That way your OBDII port would be left open for tuning or diagnostics.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CANBUS is daisy-chained, the last "piece" in the chain has a terminator plug. You *should* be able to pull the terminator plug and read the data stream from there if the diagnostic tool has termination capability. I see no reason why this last "piece" of the chain couldn't be placed in a convenient location...
Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

looks pretty awesome,if my f body cluster dosent look good enough i may just go this route instead
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

heres a question about the LS1 oil pressure sensor... how would that gauge work since the 4th gen camaro stuff returns a junk signal?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

One other thing I found out is that the display in the speedo will show any trouble codes and works as the CEL. The speedo does have adjustment built into it and of course you could always adjust your gears and tire height through the programming in the ECU. As long as you are running a modern transmission that gives the VSS input to the ECU it should output the speed without having to use a GPS speedo.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
heres a question about the LS1 oil pressure sensor... how would that gauge work since the 4th gen camaro stuff returns a junk signal?
The website states that they are for 2007+ engines. I think this is meant for the newer ECUs that don't have a tach or speedo output. The LS1 ECU is pretty easy to hook up to any aftermarket gauges.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Teching In

I'm not a fan of GPS speedos as you lose the readings in tunnels and we have quite a few of them and the Authorities put speed cameras in the tunnels so it has to be a conventional speedo for me.

I built a 4 slot reluctor wheel and used an electronic ignition module to provide 4 pulses per revolution of the drivshaft. This was on my 6L80E.

Works easy and cost me all of $20.00.

I use sensors for the other gauges and tacho sig is from the ECU on my L96 without the BCM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zuffen
I'm not a fan of GPS speedos as you lose the readings in tunnels and we have quite a few of them and the Authorities put speed cameras in the tunnels so it has to be a conventional speedo for me.

I built a 4 slot reluctor wheel and used an electronic ignition module to provide 4 pulses per revolution of the drivshaft. This was on my 6L80E.

Works easy and cost me all of $20.00.

I use sensors for the other gauges and tacho sig is from the ECU on my L96 without the BCM.
Hmmmm, I might have a problem. On my E38ECU I had the programmer activate the tach output J1-48. Regarding the VSS I tapped into the VSS signal J1-71 from the 6L80 transmission to the E38 ECM. Not sure if this will work. I guess I will find out in a couple of months.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really like these gauges for the simplicity in wiring (I loving doing wiring, but hate cluttered harnesses) and the obvious benefits, but what I'm not sure of is if they'll work with the setup I have planned. I have a m6 2000 SS that I'm currently installing a LS3 I built into (actually a L92 shortblock with VVT delete and LS3 casting heads and intake) but once I get all the bugs worked out, and a few other things done to the car, my next big project with be converting from the stock computer and Lingenfelter 24x-58x conversion box, to a E38 or E67 computer(not sure which yet; ABS isn't a problem since I'm deleting it and neither are getting the factory gauges to work since they'll all be replaced) and going with a full set of Speedhut gauges. Reason I'm going with the new computer is I like the DBW better (cleaner under the hood and I like the responce) and plan on adding the VVT back for the midrange power it offers down low. My question is will I still be able to use the can bus gauges since I'll be using a standalone harness? I would assume so, but I don't want to assume wrong since the can bus system is pretty well integrated into the BCM and such. I'd just hate to assume they'll work and be wrong.

Sorry for the long winded post. lol
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think you are confusing the GM LAN BUS and the CAN BUS. The CAN BUS is what the OBDII port talks to the ECU on. If you swap to the new ECU and hook up your OBDII port then yes those gauges will work. The GM LAN BUS is what the ECU communicates to the BCM, ABS, factory radio, and any other systems in the car.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

The downside is unplugging to use my laptop for tuning and losing all gauges. My gauges are in clear site when Im driving. Lap top, not so much.

Quick Reply: SpeedHut CAN BUS gauges OBDII port