Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 69 camaro project.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 69 camaro project.

this was my familys only transportation from 70 to 84 .
My dad bought it from a used car dealer in 70 and after getting into custom vans gave it to my mom to drive, after the gas prices went up in the late 70's they sold it for $800.00 .
I kept track of it as a kid and when someone started trying to restore it I was 18 and just bought a house so I talked my dad into buying it back, but I had to restore it and it was a mess.
I restored it in 1997 and we drove it a bit and one some shows but the suspension and drivetran was weak.
It sat in my dad garage for 10 years until I sold my pro touring 72 camaro,I went over and took it home.
I first started with a new posi rear to replace the liper.new polly bushings to replace the non existing body mounts,new suspension and sway bars and 4 wheel disc.
I was just going to add a overdrive trans until I ran across a deal on a 2001 corvette ls1 then it started to get out of controll.
so far I have..
the motor 01 ls1
4l60 trans
headers
motor and trans mounts
just sent the wireing out to Bp automotive
more parts on order.
The wife and I just pulled out the motor yesterday..we need to get the car finished so we can sell our home and move to fl.by fall ,let the fun begin!
Attached Thumbnails My 69 camaro project.-1-2012-003.jpg   My 69 camaro project.-1-2012-004.jpg   My 69 camaro project.-2-2012-003.jpg   My 69 camaro project.-2-2012-002.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a great start, good to hear that the history of the car has been in the family. Keep the updates coming.

If you need any info, there is a great number of project threads to research or just ask on the forum.

Last edited by bczee; 01-28-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. have more picts of motor and parts but can not get them to up load.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Nice car and good luck on the swap.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. Good luck with everything. Great that you know the history of it. There is all kinds of good conversion info on this site!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

BTW did you say 'my wife and I pulled the motor?'

That is AWESOME!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone. Yes shes great, even has her own superbike and dirtbike plus I can trust her to drive any of my cars..well except my 1200hp 55chevy but she will.
I just got boxes and boxes of parts vintage air/mounts/jeggs/summit goodies everywhere and took alot of old/new parts compare picts. but need help uploading them . they fail to upload everytime for some reason.

Originally Posted by chevnut55
Thanks everyone. Yes shes great, even has her own superbike and dirtbike plus I can trust her to drive any of my cars..well except my 1200hp 55chevy but she will.
I just got boxes and boxes of parts vintage air/mounts/jeggs/summit goodies everywhere and took alot of old/new parts compare picts. but need help uploading them . they fail to upload everytime for some reason.
more than likely the pics are failing to upload because the file size of the pic is to big. You need to make the file size of the pics smaller first, then you should have no problems uploading them. I use a VERY easy to use FREE program called Pixresizer...google it and you will find it.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I upload to Photobucket.
The pics are automatically mpeg'd. From photobucket, you can copy the pics, then place/transfer them to your LS1Tech thread.
Best of luck with your swap!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a fairly common swap, should be no major surprises. Good to see another ragtop from New England. We recently moved from RI to warmer climes. Good luck and keep motivated.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
This is a fairly common swap, should be no major surprises. Good to see another ragtop from New England. We recently moved from RI to warmer climes. Good luck and keep motivated.
Sorry to hijack.
We, too are thinking of leaving New England, for a warmer climate, and less taxes.
We'd miss the Cape Cod shoreline, though!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

I got it running!
checked for leaks..fixed them, turned the key and it fired up.
It sounds awsome.
Still some problems..new tach does not work, not shure if its the tack or feed.
check light is on and it was running perfect but now has a low idel and stumbles after a bit.
the belt shreaded on me, quick told me I had the pullys on wrong but too late..tore up a new belt and wrecked the plastic pully. easy fix I hope.
now If I can finish the brakes I can test it.
Just bought a new grand sport vette..so loosing intrest in the 69 but it need to get done because the house is going on the market soon.
I will not miss cape codd because even tough I live 20 miles away it takes 2 days to get there in the summer..I see the traffic sitting still on 495 and say everyones going to the cape together again.
Fl is all cape..but warm and I walked 5 miles on a beach without seeing another person..cant wait.

Quick Reply: My 69 camaro project.