Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap Wiring Harness Re-work Required???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS Swap Wiring Harness Re-work Required???

I am doing a 2001 LS 5.3 swap into my 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer, and I am wondering if the wire harness "rework" is required? I plan on having my computer reprogrammed to delete VATS, EGR, etc, but if all that is turned off then does it matter if the wiring is still there or not? I have a hard time paying $400-$600 to remove unused wires if it's not required. This is not a show truck and money doesn't grow on trees for me. So, I'm trying to keep as much cash in my pockets as possible. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

-Martin
Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you leave the wiring for the emissions stuff, there's still other harness rework required to make the harness work in your swap. You can fnd pinouts online to show you what has to be done, but it's more than "removing unused wires" that you're paying for when you buy a new harness or have yours modified.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BobKovacs
Even if you leave the wiring for the emissions stuff, there's still other harness rework required to make the harness work in your swap. You can fnd pinouts online to show you what has to be done, but it's more than "removing unused wires" that you're paying for when you buy a new harness or have yours modified.
Have more specifics? Not challenging, just want to know. I was under the impression a stock harness would work unchanged.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by PWagon
I am doing a 2001 LS 5.3 swap into my 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer, and I am wondering if the wire harness "rework" is required? I plan on having my computer reprogrammed to delete VATS, EGR, etc, but if all that is turned off then does it matter if the wiring is still there or not? I have a hard time paying $400-$600 to remove unused wires if it's not required. This is not a show truck and money doesn't grow on trees for me. So, I'm trying to keep as much cash in my pockets as possible. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

-Martin
Depending on what you are looking for as far as options to the rewire, I do them for as little as $250. Even my premium re-wire is not as much as you listed.

There is A LOT that goes into making a new harness. However, if you are wanting to do your own harness I do offer a diy kit that comes with general instructions, and all the parts needed. This is $150 and comes will all relays needed, even for A/C.

Even if you do not purchase a thing from me, I usually still help out the the threads around here.

For re-wiring a harness it depends on what harness you have as to how much work is needed. The truck harnesses are more labor intensive. The biggest, hardest part for the diy modder is procuring the fuse block and obd port and the proper wire needed. This is why I offer the diy kit.

Post up some more specific questions and we will help you out with a more direct answer for you! Good luck!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

This is the good kind of information I was hoping for. I called two places this morning (Speartech being one of them), and I was getting $450 quotes and up. Does your DIY kit come with instructions for "dummies". I've done some wiring, and I can read... so hopefully I'll be in good shape.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hey BP, after looking at your eBay store, I think I'll just pay you to wire it up for me. I'd rather it be done right the first time rather than me trying to figure out what I did wrong months from now. Do you reprogram computers too? Can you quote me a reprogram fee?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey PWagon hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes, but I have a question for BP. Can you in box me a quote on a wiring harness for a 1989 Trans am with ls1 swap 4l60e? Car was originally a TPI 350

Quick Reply: LS Swap Wiring Harness Re-work Required???