Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help on chevelle measurement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on chevelle measurement

i have a 72 chevelle 5.3/4l60 swap started i decided to do the swap after i removed the body. i measured the 327 center of crank lcation and the tail shaft on tranny and the back of block to reference point to the front i have ls motor 1/2 inch further back than the 327 i cant go any further forward due to the truck power steering pump hitting the gearbox i dont think that will be an issue. however i never got the heigth to top of carb on the 327 i think the 5.3 truck motor sits higher but am trying to figure out if it will fit under the ss hood could anyone tell me any clearance numbers from top of frame to bottom of hood. i am using a 1/4 spacer on both frame mounts i believe they are tall and narrow style and the adapter plate templet i found on here black background and gray metal drawing with no outer measurements i found it on a search.plate is made out of 3/16 and also required a 1/4 shims behind it as well and oil pan clears cross member barely and steering is 98% lock to lock i need about 1/16-1/8 to be interference free. trying to use truck pan is it possible and clear hood or am i beating a dead horse?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Im doing a LS swap in a GM A body also, a 69 Buick Skylark convertible...You don't want to use the truck pan, it will hang to low beneath the frame. I've heard of some using the F body pan, and others using the CTS-V pan. Although I haven't bought it yet, I will be using the CTS-V pan. Forget about using the truck pan......
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the stickies. The truck pan is an non starter for this swap. Several aftermarket suppliers offer pans for the car that do not require any frame modifications. As you look through the stickies be aware that not all parts play well together, so stay with proven combinations. You can use all of the truck accessories with no cutting by changing the PS pulley. I recall that I used a Dorman #300-123.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Throw the truck pan in the garbage. Also, do not buy GM's "muscle car" pan as it is just an H3 pan that also is useless in this case. CTS-V is okay, better would be the holley (formerly retrolsx I think) pan.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

U an I are in the same boat. I got a 72 Monte Carlo a-body an need to find the pan. An so far I've seen we are going to spend $400 or better on just a pan. My boy came by today with his a-body with the muscle car pan its only like 4" maybe 5" from the gound it looks to close for me. Im going to keep reading an hope for the best.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Not Me
U an I are in the same boat. I got a 72 Monte Carlo a-body an need to find the pan. An so far I've seen we are going to spend $400 or better on just a pan. My boy came by today with his a-body with the muscle car pan its only like 4" maybe 5" from the gound it looks to close for me. Im going to keep reading an hope for the best.
to be honest there is nothing more to read, and Im not trying to be a smartass. Around $400 is correct, unless you find something used...you need either a CTS-V, Holley, Mast pan or similar for proper ground clearance on the A bodies. There are a lot of stickys with lots of info on this. I think there are about a half dozen choices for pans on the A bodies, all @ $375 on up for a new one. Good luck!

Quick Reply: help on chevelle measurement