Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 k2500 nv4500 6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 k2500 nv4500 6.0 swap

I have a 95 k2500 5.7l tbi nv4500 stock. This truck will be an eveyday driver and a worker. I want to swap out the 5.7 for the 6.0l. Im fairly new to the ls motors bud decided to go with the 6.0l with the intentions of leaving it stock or few mods cam ect...

What would be the best year vehicle to look for?

Any other opinions on motor choice? (maby the 6.2L?

The nv4500 changed after 95 (not exactly sure what all changed but there was)what problems would i encounter when using my tranny?(i heard possibly pilot bearing issue?, may need to convert to internal slave?) i heard the 6.0l came with the nv4500 as an option. would I be better off with that tranny than mine.

The truck is an obd1 what would i have to do for computer? can the motor run on a stand alone harness and keep old computer in place?

Id appreciate any information on what I might encounter durring the swap. I want to get started gathering parts and getting a good list of most capatible combonations.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rasch,

You can go with any of the engines available. If cost is your primary driver you may find that the 99-06 Vortec 5.3 and 6.0 engines are the best bargain. If you get an 03 - 06 engine keep in mind that they are DBW (Drive by Wire) and if you are going to stick with that throttle you need the TAC (Throttle Actuator Control) module and pedal from the vehicle. If you go with an early vortec motor they will be DBC (Drive by Cable). You can also convert a later engine by bolting on a throttle body. Regarding harness, running the engine standalone would be the easiest way to complete the swap.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raschkagr
I have a 95 k2500 5.7l tbi nv4500 stock. This truck will be an eveyday driver and a worker. I want to swap out the 5.7 for the 6.0l. Im fairly new to the ls motors bud decided to go with the 6.0l with the intentions of leaving it stock or few mods cam ect...

What would be the best year vehicle to look for?

Any other opinions on motor choice? (maby the 6.2L?

The nv4500 changed after 95 (not exactly sure what all changed but there was)what problems would i encounter when using my tranny?(i heard possibly pilot bearing issue?, may need to convert to internal slave?) i heard the 6.0l came with the nv4500 as an option. would I be better off with that tranny than mine.

The truck is an obd1 what would i have to do for computer? can the motor run on a stand alone harness and keep old computer in place?

Id appreciate any information on what I might encounter durring the swap. I want to get started gathering parts and getting a good list of most capatible combonations.
Welcome to the forum!

I have been involved in this same swap multiple times. It is one of the easiest swaps, and you can use the factory harness! That will save you some money!

If you get a good deal on a newer engine from an 05 or 06 it will most likely have electric fans, and you will want to get all you can from the truck. The engine harness, fan harness, fans and radiator too! It all is almost a direct swap!

If you get a drive by cable harness you can still do the same thing, just use the fan parts from a newer truck. Even if you buy the fans new they are less than $200.

You will not have to keep your old PCM, and stand alone will work just fine. If you are fine with making it look like the newer trucks under the hood then rewire the factory harness. If you want to keep the pcm out of the engine bay get a new one.

I was deeply involved in a swap on a 94 that used the manual transmission. It was a 4.3 and he swapped to the 4.8 and kept his old transmission. I can tell you that you will have to use a 4.8 flywheel if you keep your old transmission, gm did not put a manual behind anything else to my knowledge. (I could be wrong, but I have never seen or heard of a 6.0 with a manual. 5.3 NEVER came with the manual trans.)

If you have any questions feel free to email me or call me, Ill be glad to help you out!

Bill
270-805-1777

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 6.0L LQ4 was available with the NV4500. My friend has an '01 2500HD with this combo. I beleive this combo was available up to '06.

I have a '97 3500 with the Vortec 5.7L and NV4500 with 200k on it. When this baby finally dies (if ever) I'm definitely doing a 6.0L swap (and keeping the NV4500 of course!).

-Jeff
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67 goat
The 6.0L LQ4 was available with the NV4500. My friend has an '01 2500HD with this combo. I beleive this combo was available up to '06.

I have a '97 3500 with the Vortec 5.7L and NV4500 with 200k on it. When this baby finally dies (if ever) I'm definitely doing a 6.0L swap (and keeping the NV4500 of course!).

-Jeff
Thanks! I wasnt sure on the 6.0l, I knew the 5.3 never came with it-just wasnt sure with the 6.0!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Quick Reply: 95 k2500 nv4500 6.0 swap