Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help

I am new to this forum and I have a newbie question. A friend of mine bought a 91 jeep wrangler that the previous owner swapped in a 01 5.3 motor which ran like a top. He decided to replace the dash in the jeep and while he had all the wires hanging in the wind he decided to turn on his key. When he did that he saw a wire glowing and it melted away. It happened so fast he doesn't know where the wire went to. The end result was this, the fuel pump would no longer come on and he had no spark. So he went to the junkyard and bought a new computer and had a local guy flash the computer. He takes the new computer and installs it and without investigating the burnt wire situation he tries to start the jeep. What we have now is this, the fuel pump now works as it should but still no fire. I have some TBI swap experience but this is all new to me. I went over and tried to help him with this issue and didn't have any luck. We tested the crank shaft position sensor and it tested ok. One thing we did find was this the wire going to the coil packs has power with the key off and no power with the key on. I am thinking that there is wires shorted out from the burnt wire and/or he has fried his computer again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

If a wire burnt and melted it's more then likely that it melted together with other wires as well. You've got to trace the wire and find out where it's going and repair the issue before trying anything else. If it's going directly to the computer then find out which pin it is on the connector.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I figured as much. I was just hoping somebody may have a clue as to which wires may be shorted out. Its gonna be a bitch removing all that wire loom to trace it out.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help