Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring up aftermarket gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wiring up aftermarket gauges

Anyone have a good resource for wiring aftermarket gauges into the harness?

I am a TOTAL loser when it comes to anything electrical, I just want to have some kind of guide for the guy who is doing my wiring for me.

If it matters, I am using Speedhut gauges, (speedo, tach, temp, oil, volts, fuel) stock 5.3 truck harness. I know they don't all tie into the harness though.

Thanks all
Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd assume each gauge will have its own sending unit, so they won't really tie into your existing harness.

Tach signal will come from a PCM output (I forget what wire, but its listed on lt1swap.com). Speedo input can come from the PCM as well (assuming its compatable with the LS PCM signal. The PPM can be changed via HPTuners).
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a standalone harness or reworked harness? What is the engine application?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Do you have a standalone harness or reworked harness? What is the engine application?

Jon
PSI
It's just the stock harness from a 2002 5.3 Yukon. Computer was reflashed to get rid of emissions and VATS
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM

You should be fine with speedhuts, the manufacture them so a brah dead monkey could wire them up, All blacks go to ground, all whites go to lights on 12v, all reds go to switch 12v. And the yellow tach wire will go to a PCM signal for the output,

The way speedhuts work you can tune it to any signal, You could hook it directly I a coil if you wanted
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Speedo pinout is PCM Red plug, position 50, Tach is PCM Red plug, position 10, mil lamp is PCM Red plug, position 46. Water temp and oil pressure are going to use the Speedhut senders. Not sure if that was the information you were looking for.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Speedo pinout is PCM Red plug, position 50, Tach is PCM Red plug, position 10, mil lamp is PCM Red plug, position 46. Water temp and oil pressure are going to use the Speedhut senders. Not sure if that was the information you were looking for.

Jon
PSI
Yeah Jon I think that's exactly what I need. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Default help with wiring please.

Jon
PSI
I'm not sure what to do. I connected my 2003 blue and green sides computer pin number10 directly to a pull-up resistor and then to the gray wire going to my tachometer Sender side I have set my tech ometer to 4 cylinder as I have been told it will read the pulses. still not functioning. am I supposed to run another wire from the ignition back to a coil I'm not sure if I've done something wrong somebody please help it might be easier to call me on the phone 5614 12 9543 my name is Wayne thanks for any help
Old 01-16-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is our LS Gauge controller if you don't want to run sensor for all of the gauges. Check it out here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...ontroller.html
Old 01-16-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by waynesia9
I'm not sure what to do. I connected my 2003 blue and green sides computer pin number10 directly to a pull-up resistor and then to the gray wire going to my tachometer Sender side I have set my tech ometer to 4 cylinder as I have been told it will read the pulses. still not functioning. am I supposed to run another wire from the ignition back to a coil I'm not sure if I've done something wrong somebody please help it might be easier to call me on the phone 5614 12 9543 my name is Wayne thanks for any help
Not sure what kind of tach you have or how it's wired? You should have the green connector, pin 10 to the signal wire on the tach. You also need a power and ground for the tach. The pull up resistor goes between the power and signal wires. Is that how you have it?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:25 PM

Default Tach

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Not sure what kind of tach you have or how it's wired? You should have the green connector, pin 10 to the signal wire on the tach. You also need a power and ground for the tach. The pull up resistor goes between the power and signal wires. Is that how you have it?
I have the white wire coming out of 10 10 going to the resistor then to the gray wire that goes to the signal side there is power through my instrument panel going to the ignition side and there is ground from the underneath of the tack grounding am I supposed to put another power source somewhere
Old 01-16-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Why do I see diesels schematics being wired to the alternator also I read something about an aftermarket adapter called a 9117 I'm wondering if I should install that
Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the white wire coming out of 10 10 going to the resistor then to the gray wire that goes to the signal side there is power through my instrument panel going to the ignition side and there is ground from the underneath of the tack grounding am I supposed to put another power source somewhere
The resistor doesn't go in line between the white wire coming out of the PCM and the signal wire going into the tach. The resistor goes between the signal wire for the tach and the ignition power for the tach. In other words, where you spliced the white #10 wire and the gray tach wire, put one side of the resistor there (with the white and gray hooked together) and hook the other side of the resistor to the POWER for the tach.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Why do I see diesels schematics being wired to the alternator also I read something about an aftermarket adapter called a 9117 I'm wondering if I should install that
Diesels don't have ignition systems, so you can't just hook the tach to a coil on them.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Something like this maybe?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TACH Fix-2.pdf (123.4 KB, 255 views)

Quick Reply: wiring up aftermarket gauges