Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Dipstick Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loose Dipstick Issue

OK, I have done my searching homework and was not able to find any answers, so I figured I would make a new thread for the sake of posterity. I have been working on my 5.3L/73 Nova swap and have just finished up altering the truck oil pan, pick-up and dipstick. Everything is coming along great, attached are pics of the new chopped dipstick.

Problem is that removing the dipstick so many times the press fit into the block has become loose and I am concerned of leakage. I am open to any recommendations. Perhaps trying the flair the press fit area of the tube. Maybe a sealent or some sort. I would like to avoid any permenant options like tack-welding or JB weld, but may entertain them if nothing else works. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It should have an O ring on the end, is it still there? Also, is it bolted to the block by any means? That would help the most I would think.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
It should have an O ring on the end, is it still there? Also, is it bolted to the block by any means? That would help the most I would think.
Thanks for getting back so quick. Yes and yes. The original O-ring is still there and in pretty good condition. And I have made a small bracket to secure the top of the dipstick tube.

I was able to cut down the original tube support leg for the job. With the new support leg in place the tube is pretty solid. But I would rather be safe then sorry. There is almost nothing I hate more then cleaning up oil leaks!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Well if your O ring is good, the tube is seated all the way down in the block, and its bolted securely to the block, I wouldn't think it would leak.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job on the bracket. Did you use a wire weld to tac it ? I need to do the same thing.

Pitt
Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The o-ring forms the seal and the bolt keeps it in place. You should be good to go now that you've added the bracket. You did a great job by the way. I may have to replicate your work on my old truck dipstick.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pittman
Great job on the bracket. Did you use a wire weld to tac it ? I need to do the same thing.Pitt
Thanks! Yes, I used my Hobart 135 to perform all the welding. After shaping the tube I had to chop the flaired head section off and add it to the tube to make the original dipstick fit. The stock bracket took a little massaging (with vise, hammer, vise grip and grinder) but fits up well. Then I tack welded the tube to tje bracket it on the engine, then removed for final weld. Check out my build thread for more pics and my photbucket for even MORE.

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
The o-ring forms the seal and the bolt keeps it in place. You should be good to go now that you've added the bracket. You did a great job by the way. I may have to replicate your work on my old truck dipstick.
That is what everyone's vote as been so far. Last night I was working on my trans cooler lines and installed the headers and dipstick for the mock-up. I can confirm the dipstick is solidly in place. However several crusty old hotrod dogs I work with said they used Permatex #2 gasket maker to seal dipsticks back in the day. I think I will apply a small bead during final assembly just for piece of mind.

And thank you for the compliment. If you are cutting down the stock tube I would recommend a couple practice welds on the scrap to get the hang of it. And keep your welds near the end of the tube so you can get a cartridge roll or rat tail file down the tube to clean up any penetration. I had too.

Another nifty trick, I made a small tight fitting wad of brake clean soaked paper towel and forced it through under air pressure. There was a lot of grudgy oil and metal flakes in the tube!

Best of luck to you both!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I have had mine in and out a dozen times and i have no leaks.Mine is in there a little loose before i bolt the bracket to the block.I thought it might leak but i never had a problem.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I have had mine in and out a dozen times and i have no leaks.Mine is in there a little loose before i bolt the bracket to the block.I thought it might leak but i never had a problem.
Awesome! Its good to hear from someone in the same position. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be the O-Ring needs to be replaced, try one till you get a good tight push in fit. You might try using some RTV. Try putting a small amount on, let is skin some before pushing in the tube, then bolt it in place and let it set up completely. Should you have to remove the tube again, you should be able to clean it off my scraping it off/out.

BC

Quick Reply: Loose Dipstick Issue