Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much radiator or too many fans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default too much radiator or too many fans?

I have this dual pass radiator with twin 16" fans on it mounted in my 70 El Camino, LS2. The computer has control of the fans and kicks the primary on when the temp gets to range, or the A/C demands it.
So far, the secondary fan has never kicked on. I am trying to figure out if I have too much cooling, or if I should be happy about this. Even during a hot summer in the dirty South, the secondary fan wasn't needed to maintain temp. Am I going to wear out one fan, or lose one to neglect?
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Blanchard
Attached Thumbnails too much radiator or too many fans?-radfans.1.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a two speed fan and didn't bother wiring up the high speed. Did that cause I read enough posts from people running similar set ups who said they didn't need the high speed fan.

Never needing the fan is a good thing. The thermostat will keep the engine at the right temp.

I guess if you are really worried about it hook the fans in series so they both run at slow speed.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Meed more info.. What do you have set for your low/high speed fans for the on/off ranges and settings ?.. What Temp is your T-Stat ?

Also, what temp is your engine running at idle, city traffic and Highway speeds ? (once at operating temp).

Maybe your just not getting it in the Range to turn the High on ?

But as Pop said, If your T-stat is working, it will at least keep the engine in the operating range....

BC
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a speed controler that only runs the fans as fast as they are needed to maintain temp.
Most of the time dads car never even turns the fans on running down the road even on 90 degree day.

Tim
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine's governed by a switch/sensor in the radiator that kicks the fan on at 205 and off at 195, as measured by another sensor in the head (don't know what the actual radiator temp is). It works very well and has never overheated or gone over 205. The fan is a junkyard pull from a late 90s bonneville. Never needed a second fan, though have a "pusher" ready to mount in front of the driver side. The PS cooler was added last fall.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

1 16" fan should be plenty depending on what mods you have done to the engine. I run a single fan using a 1 row 3rd gen camaro rad which probably doesn't have the cooling your rad does.

To answer your question: electric motors were made to be run. So yes, your second one might fail from lack of use. Running both at low speeds could be problematic too though because they may cool the fluid too fast and lead to the fans running for short intervals and more on/off cycles. Its the extra number of starts that will burn up the motor...or the built-in capacitor...whatever starts the fan turning.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

"The computer has control of the fans and kicks the primary on when the temp gets to range, or the A/C demands it."

Can you change that around. Maybe have the computer turn on the secondary fan when the A/C is on?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Teching In

I'm running a 180 deg stat. I don't know what the on/off temps are for either one of the fans. Speartech reworked the harness, and I don't know if that means he changed anything as far as temp range goes. The set-up was from an '06 GTO. The car runs in the 190-195 range after a warm-up. i've seen it climb to 205 sitting in the summer with the a/c on. never got hotter, and never hit the second fan.
When I first got it running, I blocked off the air flow with a towel and forced it to get hot to make sure they both worked if needed. I wasn't paying attention to what temp it took to launch the second fan.
The primary fan comes on hard, and sounds like a vacuum cleaner is behind the grill. I would love to know how to get the A/C to demand the secondary fan when it need the air flow.
I'm sure it is not getting hot enough to hit the secondary fan, Just trying to figure out if it needs to run that fan every now and then.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd verify the turn on temperature of Fan #2, it's probably set to high.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not running that fan won't hurt it.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

You need more stress in your life, as it seems you're making up reasons to worry. I don't think that the fan not coming on would hurt it much, and if it did fail from non-use, how would you know??? If your car runs cool, and at normal operating temp, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Most of the OEM tunes have the High fan on 227 or 235 deg (iirc) So, if the setting are stock setting and the temp of the engine doesn't exceed that turn on range,... you just stressing out as Ls1nova said...

If the highest you getting up too is around 205, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure the AC demand is working when you turn on the AC
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Teching In

I've decided to have a cold beer and not worry about it.
Maybe I'll swap the plugs around sometime just to exercise the secondary fan.
Thanks for all of the great input.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Teching In

where did you get your dual pass radiator with twin 16" fans from?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Came from these people- PRC Racing.

www.prcracing.com
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure your fans are wired correctly for the factory ECM? From the GM schematics I have seen on this forum, the low speed pin in the ecu will force the two fans to both run in series when the low speed pin grounds. When the high speed pin grounds it will cause the relays to change states and force the two fans to run in parallel.

Basically the two fans in series (low speed) will be each be running on 6 volts while the two fans in parallel (high speed) will be each be running on 12 volts.

Do you have two fan relays or three? You need three fan relays to install the same way GM did with the factory ECM as summarized above.

If you have the fans wired such that single fan is getting a full 12 volts when the low speed pin grounds, then you are possibly just flowing enough air on low to keep the engine cool.

That all being said, long ago (1999?), when I installed a SN95 fan in my old Fox Mustang, I had a manual switch firing the relay, and I would turn the fan on manually if the engine started getting hot. I almost never turned the fan on, it never ran hot unless I was sitting in traffic. This was in West Palm Beach FL, so not exactly cold weather down there in the summer. I almost never had to turn the fan on while driving around, either highway or stop and go.

Quick Reply: too much radiator or too many fans?