Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1968 Camaro LQ9/4L60E build (Now turbo'd w/pic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1968 Camaro LQ9/4L60E build (Now turbo'd w/pic)

Well Ive been gathering parts for my 68 Camaro swap, and today the starter went out in the big block so I decided I am far enough into the parts phase to go ahead and not spend any more money on the 454. The Camaro now sits on jackstands in the garage and the big block will probably come out tomorrow night. Parts gathered so far are as follows...

2003 LQ9 from LKQ (salvage)
Texas Speed 228r cam
Texas Speed 7.4" hardened pushrods
PAC 1218 valve springs
LS6 intake w/ported and polished TB
TCI stall converter
4L60E transmission
Dirty Dingo adjustable motor mounts
Tanks Inc fuel injection tank with pump and sender assembly. I originally was going to buy a Rock Auto tank from Spectra but after one call to Spectra's customer service I decided to stay as far away from them as I could. I was asking a few questions and the lady on the phone told me "Sir I cannot answer any more questions, I have to go to lunch." I thought it was a joke at first but she transfered me to an answering machine and I sat there in disbelief for just a second and made up my mind that this was not something I wanted to deal with if I should have an issue in the future. One call to Tanks Inc reassured me that their customer service would be more than enough, as they answered every question I had and got me the tank QUICK!!!
Fuel filter kit with Corvette filter and Russell's new fittings from Speedway Motors.
I am just about done porting/polishing the stock 317's from the LQ9, I probably wont flow test them now but they should do just fine!
My wire harness should be in within the next few weeks, but Ive got plenty of work to do before I am ready for it anyways. I used a harness from Techrods on my 1960 Impala LS1 swap and it is a great piece, so I went with them again.
I will be modifying the transmission crossmember that is currently in the car, and am still undecided on the exhaust. I have some stock manifolds that may go on the car to begin with.

When I bought the car it had a 9" with 4.11's and a ladder bar setup. Its got 4 wheel Aeromotive disc brakes, 20's in the rear and 18's in the front. I will keep most of this the same although eventually the wheels will either be replaced with chrome or these will be chromed. Black wheels are not my thing, these dont bug me quite as much bc of the chrome lip. I will be updating this thread as progress is made, I am looking forward to driving this car with the 6.0, it should be quite a bit of difference. My goal with this car is solely a cruiser, weekend warrior type vehicle. I doubt it will ever see the track, but I do plan on getting it on a dyno just to see what itll do when complete. I will also be replacing the trunk pan due to the current setup having a fuel cell in the trunk with a hole cut in the pan for the sump. The car currently has a 12 point roll cage that I will be cutting out during the swap because it is inconvenient for a street car. I will also be getting rid of the pin on cowl hood eventually and replacing it with a hinged hood of some sort. I like the stock hoods, and with the LS6 intake clearance shouldnt be an issue. If you have any questions or comments please let me know!

1968 Camaro

Current big block that cant get out of the car quick enough!

LQ9 from 2003 Escalade

LQ9 was dirty, a little dirt wont hurt!

Before and After a little cleaning

I already had some carbide burrs, but I ordered a kit from Eastwood for the polishing on the heads.

Intake side before

And after...still need to polish some more but its getting there

Just about done with it now

228r cam, pushrods, lifters, and valve springs from Texas Speed. These guys got me this stuff very fast and were very helpful in selecting the 228r for my needs. I was in the air between the MS3 and the 228r and it made sense to go with the 228r after talking with them about my goals with the car.

In with the cam...its all coming together now

Tanks Inc tank with fuel pump and sending assembly showed up quick and it is an awesome tank!

Here are the Dirty Dingo mounts Im using, with the stock frame mounts from the Camaro. I had to pick up a set of frame mounts from Ecklers.

Coat of black paint and they are ready to go on the block

I also painted the LS6 intake to match the car

And here is a jointed pic showing before and after porting and the 228r cam before installing it into the LQ9

Now its all ready for the BB to come out and the 6.0 to go in!

I Will keep the thread updated, thanks for looking and I am looking forward to getting this car back on the road!!!

Last edited by LS1Impala; 11-12-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Build changed from N/A to Turbo
Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

nice!..keep the pics coming.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Looking great.....following for progress

Says a lot pulling a BBC for an LSx
Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car, you will really like the LSX. Power, driveability and economy. What's not to like.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job!
I like the self-ported heads, too.
It's amazing how you got all of that accomplished in just one post!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone...I waited to start this thread on purpose until I was ready to pull the big block...a parts gathering thread isnt near as exciting as a progress during the build thread!

Porting the heads myself is a new thing for me, but I have some proven guidance via a great friend of mine. He posted a "how to" 10 part video series on how to port these heads, and I have taken a liking to doing it so who knows, I may do a few more sets and have those flow'd. If you are interested look him up at AGearhead4life on youtube.

Ive started to disconnect everything today in preparation to pull the 454 tonight, pics to follow!

Last edited by LS1Impala; 03-03-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added who made the porting videos-credit given where its due!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice. What oil pan are you going to be using?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good man! Keep it up!

I think gMAG knows about those porting videos. I think he was responding to the thread I started about them.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Looking good...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
Looking good man! Keep it up!

I think gMAG knows about those porting videos. I think he was responding to the thread I started about them.
Yes, Mark.
You do great work!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Jon- I will be using a camaro pan that I have from an old swap project...the frame in the Camaro is already notched some and I do have the LQ9 pan but I am afraid clearance will be an issue with the LQ9 pan.

Yes Mark does great work...I cannot tell you how many nights I have sent him progress pics anywhere from 7pm-midnight asking him how they look. Our schedules are similar when it comes to working on our vehicles...take care of the family until the kids go to sleep then take care of our habit! (The wifes get plenty of time too) My wife knows if the phone goes off anytime past about 9pm, its Mark.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Ive posted these before, but Ill throw them in this thread as well...this is my other LS swap...a 1960 Impala with a 2002 LS1/4L60E conversion. A few of these are older, the engine bay with the compressor in the last picture is how it currently sits.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Well the big block is now sitting on the garage floor in front of the Camaro...during the next few days Ill be cleaning up the engine bay and getting rid of the fuel cell in the trunk. Ill also be finishing the polishing on the heads and putting the 6.0 back together. The trunk will need the new pan installed before the Tanks Inc tank goes in as well!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gMAG
Yes, Mark.
You do great work!
Thanks gMAG!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Impala
Yes Mark does great work...I cannot tell you how many nights I have sent him progress pics anywhere from 7pm-midnight asking him how they look. Our schedules are similar when it comes to working on our vehicles...take care of the family until the kids go to sleep then take care of our habit! (The wifes get plenty of time too) My wife knows if the phone goes off anytime past about 9pm, its Mark.
Thanks Bryan! Yea, we may need to take our relationship to the next level... :/

Glad to see you got a lot accomplished today! Good job!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a strong feeling that lots of update pics and video will be coming soon.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Funny you should say that...I've haven't updated this thread in 5 months and here goes a big update! I've been working on the car every chance i get in between family and a week long break for the Hot Rod Power Tour! Ok here goes....
When I got the BBC out there were some notches in the frame that needed some cleaning up and boxed in

So I got that taken care of and started reassembly of the LQ9 with the ported and polished heads. I also had the heads milled to raise compression a little bit more.

First attempt at install...

And from that it was very clear I would need a different oil pan so I decided on an autokraft pan

I also went with BMRs adjustable trans crossmember

The car had Aerospace Drag brakes front and rear so I ordered the street kit for the front and put them on

I am going to use a set of ls3 exhaust manifolds for now. I also did the 3rd gen IROC steering gear box swap and installed everything in the car. This is how the car currently sits.

And check out this video of the first startup that my buddy Mark made for me!

The ECM was programmed to an old ls1 swap with similar mods so I was very pleased with how it ran. I had a few vacuum leaks that we found after the first startup so it runs better now. I drove it around the block last Friday night for the first time with a smile from ear to ear...me neighbors however were not smiling due to the open exhaust coming out of the manifolds. I'll get it to the exhaust shop this weekend hopefully and really be able to enjoy it a little more! Sorry it's been so long between updates from start to finish and it's no where near done yet but it's coming along!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rumor has it this beauty is on the road with exhaust and getting close to ready for a tune!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear this beast may be changing direction... boost?

Quick Reply: My 1968 Camaro LQ9/4L60E build (Now turbo'd w/pic)