Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Donor truck or parts?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donor truck or parts?

Hey guys I'm planning an LM7 4L60E swap on my 1989 volvo 240 DL.

I was at first going with a LM7 T56 but due to the budget a 4L60E is a lot more probable. So my question is would it be cheaper to buy just the motor and just the trans for buy a wrecked car?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say Cheaper to just buy the Engine/Trans at 1st.. but if you get the whole wrecked and it has enough parts to sell off. you can recover most if not more money and apply it to the swap or HP parts !

But you will have to put in the time to part it out and have the space for it and the parts until you ship them off. But even if you sell just enough to recover your cost.. then you got the engine/trans and other parts for free.

I did a 02 Z28 and came out ahead $3500 on top.

BC
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
I would say Cheaper to just buy the Engine/Trans at 1st.. but if you get the whole wrecked and it has enough parts to sell off. you can recover most if not more money and apply it to the swap or HP parts !

But you will have to put in the time to part it out and have the space for it and the parts until you ship them off. But even if you sell just enough to recover your cost.. then you got the engine/trans and other parts for free.

I did a 02 Z28 and came out ahead $3500 on top.

BC
Wow you made $3500 profit? Did you buy it locally or off an insurance auction?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure you do your research, I spent extra money to get all the intake/accesories/harness/gas pedal just to replace them with ones that fit my needs better. Would have been really nice to be able to rob the little parts as the build was progressing.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found it on Craigslist. The kid got into a wreck, messed up the Front, hood, windsheild and right side fender. but he didn't have insurance to cover it. I picked it up for $1700... Beleive me, I was trying hard not to jump up and down and yell out when he said he wanted that.. i drove it around the block and on to the trailer. .and gave him the $1700 and that was it.. I guess I could have fixed it !

By the time I sold off everything I could, got $100 for the Body from metal scrap yard.. I was like got my money back and was up $3500... and now used the brakes, complete engine and trans.. but I put the $$ back into updated parts for the Nova..suspension, refeshing the top end, New cam and trans.

some said I stole it..

BC
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing a LS1/4L60E swap from a 2004 GTO into my 71 Lemans. I bought a wrecked 2004 GTO for parts and am very happy I did. I am using more from the donor car than I thought I would. I am using the engine, trans, most of the underhood components such as the radiator, fans, AC parts, cruise, fuse panel, harnesses, etc. In addition I am using the GTO's gas tank and most of the interior.

I bought the donor for $7000 plus $400 shipping. Comparable LS1/4L60E pullouts are going for $4500 on eBay. I am just now starting to sell unneeded parts from the GTO, I hope to make about $2000-3000 doing that. So I hope to be way ahead compared to what I would have had to spend buying all those parts separately. Another advantage is that since all the parts I am using come from the same car everything just gets moved over and plugged back together, everything was originally designed to work together and I am saving a great deal of fussing around time.

See my build thread for my progress up to date.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know what year the vortecs, specifically the 5.3; when did they started using a drive-by wire instead of a cable throttle. Or could anyone direct me to a forum/website where this info could be found.

Originally Posted by bczee
I found it on Craigslist. The kid got into a wreck, messed up the Front, hood, windsheild and right side fender. but he didn't have insurance to cover it. I picked it up for $1700... Beleive me, I was trying hard not to jump up and down and yell out when he said he wanted that.. i drove it around the block and on to the trailer. .and gave him the $1700 and that was it.. I guess I could have fixed it !

By the time I sold off everything I could, got $100 for the Body from metal scrap yard.. I was like got my money back and was up $3500... and now used the brakes, complete engine and trans.. but I put the $$ back into updated parts for the Nova..suspension, refeshing the top end, New cam and trans.

some said I stole it..

BC
Wow!! You are a very lucky man!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Donor truck or parts?