Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I mount the A/C compressor there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Can I mount the A/C compressor there?

I have a 2005 LQ9 in my '70 Impala, and as is quite common, the stock truck A/C compressor does not fit, it hits the chassis rail.
So, looking at the engine in the car, I was wondering if it could be a good idea to mount the compressor on the alternator bracket, next to the alternator? The stock alternator bracket looks sturdy enough! I guess I would have to mount the compressor a bit lower than the alternator so the belt has enough pulley to grab, but otherwise... I could use the stock compressor or an aftermarket part.
Has anyone done that? Any comment?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would notch the frame.
On my 69 nova, I just notched out an area for my low mount compressor.
Just takes a little mocking up, cutting, fab and done!
Much cleaner too....as long as you have all of the right tools of course.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If notching is not in your budget or skill sets, then you can just relocate it to the top / passenger side head. There are relocation Kits.. check Kwik Mounts.. or any of the other venders that manufactor relocation kits.

You can use the old Impala compressor if you want, but I would atleast update it to a late 80's or 90's Delco R4 compressor...

Try a search on the forum or on the web....

BC
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a frame notch on a g-body I did 10 years ago.There is a small notch in the crossmember for the ac lines also.
As much as I like to modify mechanical things, I figure there are some good reasons for the factory's tight mount position.
If you can't do it yourself, you might be able to find a mobile welder to do it for less than a relocation may cost you.
I also like not having the compressor staring me in the face on a custom vehicle.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input!
I was not sure notching the frame was such a good idea (without welding a reinforcing piece, and I cannot weld), and it seemed easier to mount the compressor next to the alternator...
I cannot mount the compressor on the passenger-side head because the air inlet for the MagnaCharger is in that spot.
When I mention a stock compressor, I was talking about the stock LQ9 compressor: I could also use an aftermarket Sanden. And my car will be a flat black daily driver (not in winter!), so I do not mind the compressor very visible high up in the engine bay.
I will go back and look at notching the frame, but still, I would like to hear about mounting the compressor with the alternator (good or bad idea?), so I can really compare the 2 locations.
As far as I can see , mounting the compressor next to the alternator could be a good idea because:
easy spot to reach for installation, maintenance and making hoses
more protected from road debris;
On the other hand, a down side could be if I cannot get the belt to grab enough pulley on both alternator and compressor; I also would like to be sure the OEM alternator bracket is strong enough for the extra load (I would think so).
Am I missing anything else? Has anyone done it?
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holley has a nice bracket. I would move the inlet for the blower. Stock comp fit on dads chevelle with no mods.

Tim
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Cannot move the compressor inlet: it is a part of the compressor body that takes the air to the back, it is not a simple "elbow" that could be flipped around or modified.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the ideas (as always on this forum!), it helps me think about my problem.
Still, my original question was not really answered:
On an '05 LQ9, is the OEM cast aluminium alternator bracket strong enough to carry the A/C compressor?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can I mount the A/C compressor there?