Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got some issues with my Muncie to LS kit. Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some issues with my Muncie to LS kit. Need some help!

So, I ordered a pretty expensive Muncie 4 speed to LS conversion kit from Pace Performance that came with a new fly wheel, quicktime bell housing, Ram clutch and pressure plate, ARP flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts, pilot bearing, and etc.

Link to the kit: http://paceperformance.com/i-6535763...to-500-hp.html

I mounted the flywheel today and mocked the clutch disk and pressure plate up. Well damn, the clutch plate springs barely hit the ARP flywheel bolts. WTF?

I called Pace and they said they've never heard anybody having issues with this kit before. They're sending me some GM flywheel bolts to replace the ARP bolts because he said the bolt heads are almost an 1/8 of an inch shorter. Yes, I have the disk facing the right way. The other way won't fit at all (hits the bolts way before the disk touches the flywheel. Anyone ever heard of this issue? Sure, that will probably work until the clutch disk wears a little. Once that happens, it will just move closer to the bolts and hit again won't it?

Also, the bell housing won't work with a z-bar linkage ball nor will it accept the nice bracket that SDPC makes. So, it looks like I need a hydraulic clutch or a new bell housing... Probably go with Keisler's hydraulic setup.

Appreciate any input.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you fully seat the flywheel on the end of the crank? They are a tight fit and usually need to be pulled down with the bolts the first few times during mock-up. Here's a pic of my SPEC flywheel, you can see how the flywheel bolt "area" is recessed and sits about 1/2" lower than the clutch face, easily enough to handle ARP bolt heads...
Attached Thumbnails Got some issues with my Muncie to LS kit. Need some help!-100_2433.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 AM
cgo
Staging Lane

The flywheel that came with the kit is a RAM flywheel. The recess is not nearly as deep. And yes, it is seated and the bolts torqued down to 84 ft-lbs as directed by ARP. I've heard RAM flywheels are thinner than normal.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

bump... anyone?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Post a pic. I did a Google search for "RAM LS1 flywheel" and they all look normal to me. You could get a shop to counterbore the bolt holes, but I'd prefer to find the real problem before applying a band-aid fix...
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Here are some pics. I called RAM and they said they've never heard of anyone using this flywheel with this clutch. The flywheel is an LS flywheel and the clutch is a truck clutch also used in various muscle cars with HP up to 550 hp.

Of course many have mated old trans to LS series engines and Pace is sticking by their kit.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

IIRC, my SPEC clutch disc is completely flat on the side that faces the flywheel, but I'd have to pull my stuff apart to check (it's only mocked up right now). Ooops, found the original pix from when I bought it off E-Bay. These are all the flywheel side...
Attached Thumbnails Got some issues with my Muncie to LS kit. Need some help!-spec_01.jpg   Got some issues with my Muncie to LS kit. Need some help!-spec_02.jpg   Got some issues with my Muncie to LS kit. Need some help!-spec_03.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Hmmm, mine does not look like that at all. Wonder if I can find a clutch disk like that for a 10 spline Muncie?

Quick Reply: Got some issues with my Muncie to LS kit. Need some help!