Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedway Motors TruRam LS1 manifolds - I can't find any installed pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedway Motors TruRam LS1 manifolds - I can't find any installed pictures

I want to see what these look like installed on an engine. After a bunch of internet searching I can't find a single installed picture. Lots of press releases from summer 2011 and lots of links to Speedway's site.

Hooker does it right... tons of pics of their new manifold with all kinds of measurements.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

They're cast? I thought they would be welded tubes. They LOOK like they would fit a few things I own or may own to swap in the future. I have to agree with you about some measurements. Even a picture of them installed on an engine sitting on a stand would give you an idea where they fit in relation to the engine itself.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Apparently they're cast stainless steel. I'm debating on using a manifold and going under my steering shaft or saying eff it and building headers. I know the Hookers will work, but don't care for the tiny outlet.

Need to go under (2010 Camaro doesn't work)... I know 2001-2002 F-body works fine, but looking for cleaner options.

Or just bite the bullet and build some headers similar to the ones Headman used to make.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Best I could find..........http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.p...32760&start=30

and........http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...t/viewall.html

But not sure this is what you were looking for or if these are it
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Doug but those are different parts.

I saw the Speedway manifolds ages ago and forgot about them until Cobra4B made this thread because I also couldn't find any data.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed Speedway and asked them for better info. I showed them how much detailed info their competitor (Hooker) provided. The sales rep forwarded my questions/feedback to engineering. Will let you know what they say.

Thanks for the update. As a reference, here is the kind of documentation Hooker is providing. Given that you sell a product designed for tight space constraints, I would think any prospective customer would want this kind of detail before purchasing.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Response I received from Speedway:

Good day,

Thanks for contacting Speedway Motors for your automotive needs. My name is John and I am one of the techs glad to assist with questions and parts selection and your patience is greatly appreciated.

You inquired about a photo of the installed headers/exhaust manifolds for the LS1 and we apologize but currently one is not available. With the many sets of headers and manifolds we only have a couple that are photo available on the web or in our catalog. Normally with the listed dimensions customers can take some basic measurements to insure fit on their application prior to ordering. Below is a list of the dimensions with an explanation of where the measurements are taken. The photo on the Holley website indicates how the headers look when bolted to an engine and with these dimensions you can confirm fit.

Header Dimension A : 4.50 " from the head surface to the furthest out point

Header Dimension B : 8.00 " from the top of the flange to the bottom of the collector.

Header Dimension C : 17.375 " from the front of the header to the furthest rearward point at the collector.

Collector Diameter : 3.00 "

Inlet Size : 1.75 "
If they want to sell any of these they need to step up their game. They won't fit in my application as I only have 4.25" between the steering shaft and edge of the block i.e. the dimension where the Hoookers are 3.77". Hookers it is.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

If you want a tight set of manifolds, look at the stainless headers from ProComp Electronics. You have to go to their eBay site to find them, but they're extremely compact, and only $200. I just put mine on my '69 Camaro with a 6.0L, and they fit great. I'd looked at the Hooker manifolds previously, and those would have hit my steering box by at least 1/2".
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

These?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-BLOCK-HUG...d40324&vxp=mtr

They won't work for my application as I have to clear the lower control arm and get the exhaust out to the side. The Hooker swap manifolds are the only thing that fits other than building headers out the side over the steering shaft. Don't feel like building headers and don't need more power in a hp/weight limited class.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Nope- these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVELLE-CAM...46b36c&vxp=mtr

I can't tell how much you can have them kick out before they hit the LCA, but I can tell you that the inside edge of the collector flange kisses the extra tab on the side of my 4L80E, so that should give you some idea as to how tight they are.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

What is the spark plug clearance like on those bad boys? They just might fit something I'm working on.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
What is the spark plug clearance like on those bad boys? They just might fit something I'm working on.

They say right in the notes that you need "shorty" style plugs, and they make a recommendation on a plug that works, which I picked up (which was actually longer than the Autolite plugs that were in my engine previously). I only put a few plugs in to see what the clearance was like, and so far it looks good. I'm using MSD wires with the adjustable-angle boots, and with the boots folded up at a 45, they clear the tubes by about 1/4" or more.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those won't work... the collector would be basically touching my firewall. I have no trans tunnel room for exhaust... car has side pipes.

Before shot

Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BobKovacs
They say right in the notes that you need "shorty" style plugs, and they make a recommendation on a plug that works, which I picked up (which was actually longer than the Autolite plugs that were in my engine previously). I only put a few plugs in to see what the clearance was like, and so far it looks good. I'm using MSD wires with the adjustable-angle boots, and with the boots folded up at a 45, they clear the tubes by about 1/4" or more.
Good to know. I've saved the link so I'll do some more reading when I get home. At least this just may work form my application, too bad it won't work for you Cobra4B.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Apparently they're cast stainless steel. I'm debating on using a manifold and going under my steering shaft or saying eff it and building headers. I know the Hookers will work, but don't care for the tiny outlet.

Need to go under (2010 Camaro doesn't work)... I know 2001-2002 F-body works fine, but looking for cleaner options.

Or just bite the bullet and build some headers similar to the ones Headman used to make.
did you sell the ford headers, because you could get ls1 flanges and be done. many have just used ford headers and ls1 flanges and had great success. you may have already known, but just in case. happy hunting!

Last edited by 69face; 03-14-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do any of you guys realize how easy it is to relocate that steering shaft a bit? All it takes is a 3rd U-joint and a Heim for support. I did this on my Grand National S-10 swap 13 years ago. Moved it over about 3" for header clearance...
Attached Thumbnails Speedway Motors TruRam LS1 manifolds - I can't find any installed pictures-p0000061.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. The FRPP shorties are squared at the end to allow room for the header bolts. I was aware the port spacing is the same, but wasn't sure how I'd round those tubes out etc.

2. The LS1 appears to be wider than the SBF so the clearance between the engine and shaft is a bit less.

3. I didn't want to deal with adding another support for a heim and another u-joint. The car has manual steering so the most direct route is best.

The car is power/weight limited for the class it's built around so I have no need for extra power. I'd rather build headers out the side and over the steering shaft vs. move the shaft around for some other variant of shorty.

End of the day the Hooker manifolds fit with no further mods and should work fine. If the car ever needs more power I'll build headers and sell the Hooker manifolds.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what if you machine the inlet flanges on a slight angle to bring the outlets closer to the block?

Any body got any more pics of these different headers incld stainless headers from ProComp Electronics i keen to see more different types bolted up to a engine as i'm trying to find some thing to fit in my gu nissan patrol, iv made my own but im not really to happy with them and the cast iron hooker ones would fit in there with a bit of angle milling on the facings but i still have a front drive shaft to clear

Last edited by julian14588; 03-25-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW I got the Hookers and they fit perfectly. One had a casting defect so I exchanged them with Jegs. New set will be here tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

New set came in yesterday... quality is perfect. Just need to put some high temp paint on them.

Quick Reply: Speedway Motors TruRam LS1 manifolds - I can't find any installed pictures