Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Mustang transmission?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Mustang transmission?

Ive got a 90 Fox body that asked politely for an LS motor and im wondering which trans to use? The car is an original handshaker and ideally id like to leave it a manual trans car. Autos can be a bit easier to find and ive got some leads on 4L80E's but id like to see what other options i have for manuals. The car is going to have an LQ4 with a cam and a few little things, nothing radical yet and its on a tight budget since its dirt racing season now and my late model is higher on the priority list. The T56 from an F body would be ideal but they running about $1500 at the minimum. What other manuals are out there? Is an older 5spd from an IROC an option or will it grenade the minute the wheels chatter? What would you do for a clutch as well? Thanks ahead of time for any input!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Fox is lightweight and as long as you're not running slicks, a T-5 should work for awhile. I'm sticking a Jerico in my Rambler project, but would have rather had an OD box. You can get Muncie M-22 guts in several ratio sets from AutoGear or a complete box for $2,300. There was a G-Force T-5 dog box on RacingJunk.com a month or so back for $2k. Both of these boxes are half the weight of a T-56...
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really can't see you spending less than $1500 on a decent manual transmission unless you already have the T5. Quicktime makes a bell housing to bold a Ford T5 or a Tremec 3550/TKO to the LS motors but I think it's near $600.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS Mustang transmission?