Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brunton M-Spec 1,600 pounds and LS POWER!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the first car on LS1Tech to be built on saw horses. Awesome job. Im a stickler for light weight cars too. Its like free horse power. Now if I could get something like this in a hard top that would be ****.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by EastTnZ28
Probably the first car on LS1Tech to be built on saw horses. Awesome job. Im a stickler for light weight cars too. Its like free horse power. Now if I could get something like this in a hard top that would be ****.
I bet 7 guys will be able to take it off the saw horses and drop it to the ground...LOL

Andrew
Old 04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a video that needs posted. Lol. Love this car though.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Very cool project, definitely looking forward to some videos of it running and driving.

40# for the wheel/tire combo ain't bad at all.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is coming along nicely!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been a bit neglectful of my build thread. Sadly, I am not yet racing the car, but I have made some progress of late.

One day, for inspiration I slapped on the hood and some of my magnetic racing numbers (that will be of no use to me on the fiberglass and aluminum skin).

The bad news is the classic hood, does not clear the pushrod suspension...

A racer friend of mine came up from Chicago to align the car with me. So down from the tables!

This one is fuzzy, because I took it quickly with my cell phone. He was more than a little nervous about me stepping back for a photo op at this point!

Down safe and sound, time for a fun (giant wheel-stand) photo!

Got it aligned, but... I chose the middle height points for the control arms. With the oil pan being the low point... I could not run over a 2x4 laid flat with my 23" race tires... Doh, one step forward, two steps back seems my pace...

So, I had to take the whole suspension off and go to the highest (lowest pick up points - still not very high) settings. Now I need another alignment....

I was inspired by having my number on the car, so I had the side panels vinyl wrapped and added the 228 placards and "AR" for my class (A-Race).

Then I installed the side pipes and see they are a little close for comfort to the vinyl. I bent out the passenger side as it had even less clearance. Time will tell. I'll keep a fire extinguisher handy when I start her up! May need some heat wrap. Open for suggestion here.

As you can see, we also started the wiring. Since I decided to keep the air intake on the shelf, my battery placement was compromised. I wanted it under hood to avoid extra safety equipment. The solve was to recess it into the shelf, and actually bolt it to the passenger side of the trans tunnel. I used an Odyssey battery and their aluminum box. I suggest you go direct with them, they were a pleasure to deal with and give a great direct price!
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/main...ccessories.htm
I'll get a pic of that up when I finish up the wiring.

I went with Speedhut's new CAN-bus style controls that pick up signal from the ECU, eliminating the need for extra sending units. I also ponied up for the GPS speedo. It has all kinds of cool toys like 1/4 mile times, 0-60, etc and will not be effected by differing street and track tire sizes. I chose to have the fuel gauge in the speedo. This should be cool watching one go rapidly down, while the other climbs! You can fully customize your set up. I went yellow. Hey, they look good on a Ferrari, and more importantly should be easy to see.

The blue tape was to protect the dash panel, but may have to stay. I dig the contrast!

Another friend of mine, who happens to be both a car nut and engineer has been invaluable with the electrical. Starting from scratch with just a painless T-bucket kit was a bit overwhelming.

So, as per past practice, another issue bit me. We added the radiator and struggled a lot to build hoses to fit the tight chassis. After paying for a bunch of AN stuff that would not clear, we ended up with heavy duty industrial hydraulic type stuff. The local industrial hose shop was a huge help. We filled it up with Evans water-less coolant. I come back from a few days of vacation and find some coolant on the floor. Just a couple drips mind you, but more than I would expect with all new parts... There was a pin hole near the welds on the tabs.

After I quite sobbing, I tried epoxying it. However, not wanting to take 2 steps back, I tried to do it in place with out draining the coolant. That didn't work. The coolant made it's way through the epoxy and formed a new pin hole... twice! Today we drained the coolant, wire wheeled off the epoxy (Quick Steel) and re-did it without coolant. That seems to be holding. Wish me luck!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm certainly no expert on such things, but I would think solid mounting the radiator would be asking for problems with just that sort of thing - vibration causing fatigue issues at the welds. Is that not a concern?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I'm certainly no expert on such things, but I would think solid mounting the radiator would be asking for problems with just that sort of thing - vibration causing fatigue issues at the welds. Is that not a concern?
There is some compressed foam between the tab and chassis, because I had similar concern. The lower mount channel is also separated by thicker foam.

Older cars like from the 60s back had tab mounted rads. I do agree that modern rubber isolated mounting seems more ideal.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

IT LIVES!!!!!

Just need to tie ups some electrical stuff, fit some body work, and get it aligned!

Lets go racing!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

RIGHT ON!!! Congratulations Shaun!!! Now it's about time to enjoy the fruits of all that labor!!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome! Congrats on getting it done!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Sweet! These things are a blast to ride in.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gret, now I have drool all over my work shirt! Congrats on the first run, can't wait for the first drive vid!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Very cool! Absolutely love this build! This will be killer on windy back roads.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Oh that is just awesome!

Well done!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have room for these http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-d...mounts/=tgbp7m
They work killer. Used them on several coolers, radiators, AC condenser mounts, etc. Need about 1/2" or so.

LOVE your project!

Doug
Old 08-26-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats on getting it running.
That's a ton of work that's finally paying off.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Bet that things a blast to drive, I'm sure your excited! Wonder if it would be possible to get those things road legal and tagged. Although with how people drive, I don't know if I'd actually want to drive it on the street lol.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!!

These are intended to be street cars. I plan to get to the track first, and go through all the inspection stuff over the winter. It will be outrageous on the street. But think of it as safer than a motorcycle.

So, I had the car running... I somehow resisted the urge to street drive it... But Friday I trailered it to an empty lot and drove it a bit. What a thrill! I was very happy with everything, really. I loaded the car on the trailer under it's own power. The LS engine, T-56, LS7 clutch, and Speartech harness all did their jobs flawlessly.

I do not have the rad fan wired yet, and only had the catch can zip tied in. The only issue I had was the catch can leaking a bit. Have to solve that by Saturday and get the hood on it. It is time to go racing!!

The lot was freshly sealed, and I didn't want to get in to much trouble, so I took it easy. I still managed to get asked to leave. Damn Hot Rodders! It felt about like driving in the rain traction wise. I cannot wait to hit the road course!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by subtlez28
The lot was freshly sealed, and I didn't want to get in to much trouble, so I took it easy. I still managed to get asked to leave.
Right on...! That's GOTTA be a kick in the @$$... (Kinda makes me think that I should sell this shell of a GTA, & buy one of those...)

Quick Reply: Brunton M-Spec 1,600 pounds and LS POWER!!