Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'68 Lemans Starter issues

Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unhappy '68 Lemans Starter issues

Car ran before the swap but with so many wires everywhere I am not sure what is what. How do I go about checking to see why the starter is not turning over? (bench tested starter and it works) I assume it boils down to not getting voltage to the wire that powers the solenoid when the key is in the cranking position?!
Really wish I had bought an ez wiring kit of ebay, messing with glass fuses and 40+ year old wiring.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No one?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Neutral safety switch?You should be using the 68's starter wire and switch independent of your LS harness,I would start there.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really shouldn't have messed with the glass fuses or any of the interior wiring when doing a swap other than a switched ignition power. Aside from that look up any normal GM steering column wiring diagram and follow the wires.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A purple wire from the key switch goes through a neutral safety switch then through the bulkhead connector and connects to the starter solenoid. You should have 12V on this wire when the key is in the crank position. You should be able the hear solenoid click when turning key to start position. I am assuming that you have +12 to the starter. If the engine is not grounded you would also have the problem.

Don't forget you have to modify the wiring to provide 12V to then PCM when cranking. The stock 68 wiring will only power the starter with the key in crank position.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '68 Lemans Starter issues