Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake cleaner tube in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake cleaner tube in oil pan

I got my 5.3 in my chevelle and after adding oil i discover a few pinhole leaks in welds on modified pan so the welder said drain oil and spray brake cleaner in to clean oil oiut and while doing it the red tube came off. And went in my pan so i got another tube and it came off in it also so the question is should i pull out motor and tranny and remove pan get tubes out and have it welded or leave them in it?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Please pull the pan and do do it right this is a no-brainer!!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm,brake cleaner,aluminum,welder.Do you guys know this combination can kill you or permanently damage your nervous system?I didn't think so...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

So you were going to have it welded on the car? Brake cleaner and welding don't go together as stated earlier, it puts off toxic gas. But if you let it completely dry you should be ok. I don't think the tubes in the pan will hurt anything if you cant take the pan off.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Hmmm,brake cleaner,aluminum,welder.Do you guys know this combination can kill you or permanently damage your nervous system?I didn't think so...
Same thing I was thinking. Be in an open, well ventilated area if you weld over brake cleaner residue.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dobbs187
i discover a few pinhole leaks in welds on modified pan so the welder said drain oil and spray brake cleaner in to clean oil oiut and while doing it the red tube came off. And went in my pan

So...you were spraying through the oil drain plug hole???

Not through the "pinholes" right...???
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.. not one but two ??

Try using some tape on a stick, bar, screw driver.. or something?. But don't use some small peice of tape that will rip easy or fall off....don't just put a peice on the end of the stick/bar.. I would run it the lenght of the stick so you have a peice that is still out side.. then you can pull it out like a rope.. try and hope you can move it around and hopefully the tubes will attach to the tape and then put it out. (electric or duct tape sliced into thin strips, 1/4" ?).

Or maybe a dab of grease on the stick.. something sticky.. hopefully the tube are still near the drain hole.

Just don't loose anything else in there.. ! LOL..

BC
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Was gonna let air dry for a week or so before welding i was spraying through the oil level sensor hole and letting it drain out the bottom and yea we were trying to weld in car i Didnt think brake cleaner left any residue after dried i knew carb cleaner did since its oil based
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'd leave it in there.

Burning chlorinated brake cleaner is awful. You don't even have to breathe the fumes for it to burn. The acetone based stuff doesn't seem to fume up much.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Ok here is my 2 cents. flush it out with varsol through the sensor hole until it floats out the drain or you can see it and pull it out. catch varsol and repeat. If this fails at least it will be clean.
Step two: follow other posters idea of tape,get a coat hanger wrap it in duct tape inside out and go fishing.If this fails.
Step three: Sit down crack a beer and say to your self how can I be so fuc@#$@%^#%@ stupid
Step 4 : drink more beer and start pullin

I feel for ya !!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by krwyellowZ28
Same thing I was thinking. Be in an open, well ventilated area if you weld over brake cleaner residue.
Not a good idea. Welding brake cleaner can generate phosgene gas, you know, the same poison gas that Hitler breathed in WWI. All it takes is a whiff and you are fucked up for life. If the welder told you to use brake cleaner I would find a more experienced welder.

Plus you aren't likely to get a good weld unless you get the pan absolutely clean. Best way to do that is pull the pan and put it in a dishwasher.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Not a good idea. Welding brake cleaner can generate phosgene gas, you know, the same poison gas that Hitler breathed in WW.
Pretty sure Hitler wasn't the one breathing it...... but your point is valid.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Um...keep spraying in brake cleaner until you flush the 2 tubes out.....or completely fill the pan with little red plastic tubes
I can tell what's going to happen. The plastics melting point is higher than your oil will get, but it will soften them enough to get sucked into the oil pickup. It wont make it through the screen but will stick there. If it covers enough of the screen, you'll get oil starvation issues.
On marine engines, it's common to suction the oil through the dipstick tube with a platic hose. You see the ends of these hoses break off every once in a while and end up stuck to the pickup screen.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow that sucks, pull the pan clean and weld, next time leakcheck before you install. ty wraps work great for holding red tubes tape. stick the ty wrap through the head and tape body to the can.
Feel for YA
Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Pretty sure Hitler wasn't the one breathing it...... but your point is valid.
From http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article....uleId=10007431

In October 1918, Hitler was partially blinded in a mustard gas attack near Ypres in Belgium. He was sent to the military hospital, where the news of the November 11, 1918, armistice reached him as he was convalescing.
Well guess I was partially wrong. I thought mustard gas is a form of phosgene gas. Turns out it is something completely different. But never the less, heat brake fluid or R12 refrigerant with an open flame and it produces a poison gas used in the first world war.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 04-03-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech History lesson of the week !
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

This welding warning should be a sticky on every forum on the internet. I just found out about it a few months ago but luckily have not started doing any welding learning yet.

Well ventilated is not a safe area when it comes to this brake cleaner welding because permanent brain damage can happen at a concentration down in the PARTS PER BILLION. So your garage door open with a little fan doesn't count as "safe". From what I've heard its not permanent damage like "I have trouble remembering peoples' names", but more like "I need someone to feed me because I lost control of my arms"
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

dobb.. back to the primary problem...... .. How goes the Fishing ! Catch anything yet ?

BC
Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

READ THIS ABOUT BRAKE CLEANER AND WELDING !!!

Before loosing anything else in there, try a blob of grease on a coathanger or the like....grease if lost in oilpan won't hurt a thing.

I would pull the pan and do it right.

This is why TIG welders that mess with aluminum get paid.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried a plastic magnet thru the drain plug hole???

Also I have smeared rtv on the outside porous oil pans and removed the oil cap and put the shop cav in the fill hole I made a special adaptor. . Just don't leave it on too long. . I think the spec for leaving the vac on is 30 seconds per cube on steel blocks and 20 seconds per cube on aluminum blocks

Quick Reply: brake cleaner tube in oil pan