Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap plan: LQ9 into '96 Caprice (has LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap plan: LQ9 into '96 Caprice (has LT1)

My plan is to make a better caprice 9C1 by swapping in the LQ9 from 2002-2005, from a truck or suv.
(I've never even touched any Gen-III engines; my LT1 has water in the oil. And an opti.)
Best solution to the opti being an LSx ignition (24x) conversion, I figure I should include the engine to match too. My impression is that the electronics & wiring will bw my biggest challenge.

Please correct me where I'm wrong or missing anything... here's what I know so far:

-> I want to use the Gen-III LQ9 from 1998-2005, (NO Gen-IV, NO AFM or VVT)
-> The truck / SUV front engine accessory mount setup should fit without modifying the crossmember.
-> I should get the harness and PCM with the engine (+trans if possible) VIN is in the PCM
-> VIN 8th digit "N" for the LQ9
-> It looks like 2002-2005 for Cadillac Escalade, Silvarado SS, VortecMAX / Vortec HO for engine sources
-> Heads will be aluminum, block cast iron- no cast iron heads available on stock LQ9
-> LQ9 compression will be 10:1 stock
-> Cooling system flow is like oldschool SBC; flows from bottom up, to the heads last
-> Harness must match PCM, a custom harness to fit '96 caprice / impala will be ~$500 if anyone makes them. Haven't fount one yet.
-> I'll need a flexplate spacer (GM 12563532) and 6 bolts (GM 12563533). To use the flat flexplate from the 6.0L, it’ll go together like this: Crank, spacer, flexplate.
-> Driveline may need to be shortened & pinion angle may change. Check both; I'll measure before removal of the LT1/4L60E
-> Clearances: Truck/SUV Oil pan may not fit. May need an aftermarket oil pan; I prefer steel
-> Clearances: Exhaust may fit if using stock manifolds from F body, or the headers Street and Performance sells for B-Body Lsx swaps
-> Brakes... they should still work with the stock caprice setup, mostly 'standalone'
-> Motor mounts/plates and trans mount / crossmember are available as kits

And some questions I have:
Will the radiator & heater core from my LT1 work with the LQ9?
I suspect the radiator will not...? How about the AC? Suggestions...?

PCM, BCM, ECM, accessory electrical, gages, lights & signals, Air Bags...
How do I get the correct specific schematics and connector pinouts for (example) a 2005 LQ9 from an escalade to the '96 9C1 caprice?
I need a good source, with specific full schematics, and info as to 'what to do' and 'what to avoid' when making or modifying the harnesses. I'm not used to 'automotive' schematics.
Is it possible to use some of the caprice electronics (ECM or BCM) along with the truck ECM?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one makes a plug and play harness for a.b body. Several connectors on that application are discontinued.

If you send us your harness we can add in the new engine section to the harness then it will be plug and play.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Quite easy. Just peel back all the engine lt1 wires and merge the truck power and efi wires behind the intake manifold. I have done several.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Quite easy. Just peel back all the engine lt1 wires and merge the truck power and efi wires behind the intake manifold. I have done several. Pm me and I will email you both schematics.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Teching In

PM sent and BP Automotive's site bookmarked; the kits may come in handy.
I'm in the stage of hunting LQ9's locally via car-part.com. Vin N with 100K miles are asking $12-1600, 70K are asking $2000.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9C1LT1
And some questions I have:
Will the radiator & heater core from my LT1 work with the LQ9?
I suspect the radiator will not...? How about the AC? Suggestions...?

Should be a fun conversion!
I am using the stock radiator and I have not had a cooling problem. I live in Phoenix Az so the stock radiator should be fine. My car was a 4.3 LT-None car. Roger
Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Looking forward to seeing your progress I would like to do this to my 96 Impala
Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks aknovaman, just what I was looking for! I am planning to use the cable instead of drive by wire.
That sounds great for the cooling, tooblue- one less thing to replace. I'm hunting for the right deal on an engine but it gives me time to learn and plan. So far i haven't found anything to difficult to overcome.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Any updates? Can we get some pictures, I'm going to be doing a 5.3 turbo swap in a 96 roadmaster.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YungSteph
Any updates? Can we get some pictures, I'm going to be doing a 5.3 turbo swap in a 96 roadmaster.
I'm still waiting to find a good deal on a LQ9 setup and the caprice is still running with the LT1. When I do the swap I want it to go smoothly and not take too long. I have to do this entirely outside, without shelter from the rain. (western wa.)
I will definitely document it with photos of course!

Since I have another (cracked) LT1 on an engine stand, I'd like to have the LQ9 side-by-side with it to compare measurements. The intent is to create the clearances needed before dropping it in.
What I wish I could find are CAD models of the LT1 and LQ9 engine assemblies! Minus those, I'll have to measure manually but my holdup now is finding the LQ9 with PCM and harness.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 PM

Did you figure out if the LT1 radiator will work with the LQ? I'm saving for an LS2 swap buy I may run an lt1 in the mean time (in place of my 305). If I can get an lt1 radiator that works with the ls2 once I get it that'd be great

Quick Reply: Swap plan: LQ9 into '96 Caprice (has LT1)