Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True low Budget LS Mustang build

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work on a "real" tight budget! I can only shake me head at some people's idea of a "budget build" Keep it up
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep an eyee out for a on3 turbo piping system. It modifies fairly easily to fit the ls motor and can be had for cheap.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Thank 87 I'll make sure to do that.. Siliconeintakes.com has some decent deals too.. my budget has been looking into ABS from lowes but I'm resisting lol..

And yeah Taylor, To have the budget some of these guys have on there budget builds would be nice..
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

guys.. anybody who wants to chime in.. I'm thinking about selling the Northern Radiator and going to a 3 row aluminum radiator for a honda civic.. It measures 16.5" tall 14.37" wide and 2.5" thick.. and the inlet and outlets are right on the spot for where I need them.. Anybody think this would be to small to keep a turboed LS cool? Its basically half the size of the one i have now..

Name:  Rad-Civic9200-L-3-P-03_zpsca06e2c8.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  157.7 KB

And heres how the bay is looking now with the truck intake.. not as pretty but should get the job done..

Name:  lsx_zps8f178c62.png
Views: 3592
Size:  1.20 MB

Last edited by lxwithlaundry; 04-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

I used the stock fox one as I bought a ls radiator and it was cracked. It looked as if the fox one was bigger than the ls one though.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Teching In

***So he took my $225 bucks and I had a tranny.. I also had a hughes spacer from my build last year so I could mate up the LS and the th400 but I was having issues.. the spacer was making the crank sit out to far and the tranny wouldn't bolt all the way up.. hmmmm.. scratching my head I start compairing flexplates.. Seems the 4.8 has a spacer made on its flexplate and longer bolts than the 5.3.. also its a flate plate.. Somehow I ended up with a flexplate designed for older transmissions.. ??? still puzzled.. so I take the spacer out and bolt the tranny up and perfect fit.. guess i just got lucky?***

I just read this and wanted to make sure you where putting the spacer on after the flywheel and not between the flywheel and crank. You need the spacer to center up the hub of the converter. This needs to be installed to keep the converter centered or it will cause a huge balance issue and possibly destroy the trans or crank.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jameser
***So he took my $225 bucks and I had a tranny.. I also had a hughes spacer from my build last year so I could mate up the LS and the th400 but I was having issues.. the spacer was making the crank sit out to far and the tranny wouldn't bolt all the way up.. hmmmm.. scratching my head I start compairing flexplates.. Seems the 4.8 has a spacer made on its flexplate and longer bolts than the 5.3.. also its a flate plate.. Somehow I ended up with a flexplate designed for older transmissions.. ??? still puzzled.. so I take the spacer out and bolt the tranny up and perfect fit.. guess i just got lucky?***

I just read this and wanted to make sure you where putting the spacer on after the flywheel and not between the flywheel and crank. You need the spacer to center up the hub of the converter. This needs to be installed to keep the converter centered or it will cause a huge balance issue and possibly destroy the trans or crank.
I bolted it back up the way it came.. which was the spacer to the crank and then the flexplate. From the way it looks if I was to take that spacer out from behind the flexplate it wouldnt have enough clearence to allow the starter to mesh right when the bendix kicks since its flat.. And if I was to use my other flexplate thats concaved in or "dished" I could then bolt the flexplate on first and then the spacer on the tranny side.. or use my hughes spacer.. so I put it on as it came.. and the flywheel sits over a hub on the spacer that the convertor goes into.. after bolting it up the convertor neck sits perfect in the flexplate spacers hub...

Ok so after doing a little more research.. I find out that the 4.8 I have must have came from a van bolted to a 4l80e from a 02 up because it has a long crank and no aftermarket spacer is needed.. first time I have ran across this and this is my first 4.8 so I'm learning lol.. and all flat flex plate go on with spacer to crank and then flexplate..
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lxwithlaundry
I bolted it back up the way it came.. which was the spacer to the crank and then the flexplate. From the way it looks if I was to take that spacer out from behind the flexplate it wouldnt have enough clearence to allow the starter to mesh right when the bendix kicks since its flat.. And if I was to use my other flexplate thats concaved in or "dished" I could then bolt the flexplate on first and then the spacer on the tranny side.. or use my hughes spacer.. so I put it on as it came.. and the flywheel sits over a hub on the spacer that the convertor goes into.. after bolting it up the convertor neck sits perfect in the flexplate spacers hub...

Ok so after doing a little more research.. I find out that the 4.8 I have must have came from a van bolted to a 4l80e from a 02 up because it has a long crank and no aftermarket spacer is needed.. first time I have ran across this and this is my first 4.8 so I'm learning lol.. and all flat flex plate go on with spacer to crank and then flexplate..

That info is good to know. I did not know that engine combo came with a longer crank. Keep up the good work. Looks like a fun project.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lovin g the build man. Good stuff!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Sarg.. it'll be kinda slow for a few weeks.. I'm researching using the stock fuel assembly with the dual pump set up.. will twin 255lph pumps be what I need to run e85? I'll have to make the hanger work and Y fitting for them to flow into 1 but does anybody know if this is what I need to do?

Or do I go with a walbro 400lph for around $170.00??????

Last edited by lxwithlaundry; 04-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

That is going to dependant on injector size, how much boost you run, etc. I personally went with a large external single pump. If I had to do it over I might look at the new Holley double pump set up. Fairly reasoonable and should flow a bunch!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

All the large external pumps I've looked at was blowing the budget build out the water lol.. I'm using 80lb siemens.. and the most boost will be 16lbs i'ls say on the gt45 1.15ar
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Im at that cross road now with my build trying to figure out whats the best bang for the buck as far as the fuel system goes.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

You might skate by....I know when skinnies did his with the 80 lb injectors he was using 3 walbros and jacking the pressure through the roof just to squeeze every ounce of fuel out of those injectors. He was running a bit more psi though. The real problem is in order to get more out of those 80s you need to really raise the pressure (using an adjustable regulator) up a good bit. When you raise the pressure you decrease the flow of the pumps at the same time as you increase the flow of the injectors.

Check out this pump...cheaper than 3 walbros and you don't have to get y fittings and all that mess:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...FcXe4Aod3S4A3A
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Nice build. Mine started out cheap but has escalated beyond belief lol. went from cam swap six litre to a stroked six litre with full level 7 RPM trans every suspension mod u can think of full cage etc etc.....But at 2600 pds should be a 9 sec street beast on motor then sprayin it with 300 shot....
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 87lsttop
Im at that cross road now with my build trying to figure out whats the best bang for the buck as far as the fuel system goes.
stay tuned and maybe we can figure it out together
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

I didnt see if the pump you linked Sarg was e85 ready.. I found walbro 400lph e85 ready pumps for $160.00 and I'm thinking thats the route to go.. my buddy puts down 450 hp on a single 255 thats been in his car for 10 years running 30lb injectors.. so I figured If I go with the 400 for now it should be good esp for lower boost tuning.. if I start maxing it out then I'll double those when money allows.. I'm still trying to get it going cheap as possible to the mid 500 to mid 600hp range.. I'm sure if I ever go back to working a decent job I'll start pooring money in this thing and blow the budget out the water..
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Problem I have seen with those 400s is they drop off flow pretty steep as you up the pressure. This is fine if you don't plan to up the pressure from 43.5 stock pressure, but to really lean on those injectors you will need something that does not die off. That being said 500-600 should be a cake walk for twin 255s. But when you decide to turn things up, you will have to go through everything all over again. I just decided to do it once and be done with it and went Aeromotive Eliminator with a fuel pump controller, but my buddy went with that Holley and it really has been getting good reviews.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

awesome build, looks like steady progress.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

its a slow steady lol.. I picked up a Innovate LC-1 today for it.. I'll try to start getting the interior out and cleaned tomarrow.. the 69 camaro has been throwing hissy fits.. must be jealous.. I spend a solid 6 months building it and now I'm showing the mustang more attention.. but I'm broke right now so I have to do what I can for free to cheap lol.. as in roll up a few loose coins for some interior paint and start cleaning and repainting lol

Quick Reply: True low Budget LS Mustang build