Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 swap into thirdgen, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 swap into thirdgen, need advice

I have everything researched as to what i'm doing covering fuel lines all the way to exhaust.

My question is,

should I skip putting bolt ons, on the engine while its out, and instead swap it into the car in stock form with the t-56 to make it easier for myself and get all of the glitches sorted out, instead of dealing with starting a modded engine?

Then once it is fully running, swap the cam, intake, fuel rails/injectors ect ect onto the engine and get to the tuning shop?

Does this sound like a wiser choice?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do what ever you're going to do before you put it in the car. The engine will be way easier to work on sitting on a stand than in the car.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do all the motor work on the engine stand. do the tuning after its in the car. im sure thats how most people do it. no sense in taking it back apart when you know you're going to switch stuff.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking An opposing view

I'm guessing that you'll probably get answers in favor of both arguments - but myself personally, I'm going to be using the engine in stock form initially, probably for the first 3-6 months or so, and installing the camshaft, springs, etc. afterward. The reasons for that are:

1) I already have the engine in the car. Since this is a manual-transmission vehicle, pulling the radiator (so that I can swap the camshaft) is just NOT a big deal.

2) Getting a tune will probably not be too big of a deal for me. I'm fairly sure that I can get a good baseline via mail-order (with the stock engine setup), and I've been given the name of a guy at a local dyno shop who's supposed to be really good at getting modified LS engines to run well. (Of course I'm going to do everything I can to CONFIRM that within the next few days...)

3) Just the STOCK L92 is going to give me a LOT more torque & horsepower than the 350 cid L98 that the car came with! I figure that it SURE AS HELL won't kill me to live with 403 hp/417 lb./ft. of torque (PLUS whatever I get for the cold-air intake & the long-tubes) for the first few months that I have the car on the road. Once that gets to be a little bit "ordinary" well, then I can stab the new camshaft in, & enjoy the upgrade... (Besides, that'll give me something else to look forward to as well!)

4) I've been told that I need to drive about "500 miles of stop-and-go rush hour traffic" to break in my clutch properly. I'm thinking that a stock engine is going to be a LOT easier to drive that way, & a LOT more forgiving. Once I get the clutch broken in (and I don't have to screw around with the stop-and-go BS), it should be considerably easier to drive my car with the lumpy cam...

Now this is just my views, & my situation - your situation could be entirely different. But with any luck, this has at least given you some food for thought... Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ls1 swap into thirdgen, need advice