Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NSS Wire ??'s

Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NSS Wire ??'s

Putting a LM7 into a Range Rover.
Due to the wiring on the Rover, I am having to use a relay on the NSS wire to turn 12v into a ground output on the relay for the NSS wire to be grounded.
I have battery voltage on that wire when it's not hooked up, that right? Seems odd to me...
Also the rig will crank, and give fuel pressure when this wire is not hooked to anything! I thought it was there to complete the circuit for the starter?
The trigger for the starter is the old starter solenoid wire (ignition switch goes to partial ground when in position III), but the LSx computer is wired to the starter itself.
In my (small) mind, it shouldn't crank and give fuel pressure if the NSS wire is not grounded, and the battery voltage is confusing me.
Over thinking it or what?
Many thanks as always.

Martin

Last edited by leftlanetruckin; 05-15-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Bump for the morning crowd, and the fact I want to finish the wiring off this morning!

Martin
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I keep coming back to this thread, and just can't wrap my head around exactly what it is you are trying to do. And since it's had over 100 views and no response, others can't either. Do you have a diagram of your trucks starter circuit? It appears you are trying to use a relay to run another relay? I would think it would be easiest just to run the starter wire directly from the ignition switch, through the neutral safety switch and then to the starter solenoid. What kind of NSS does your truck have? Are you trying to use the GM NSS mounted on the side of the transmission? I think we need a little more feedback.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I've done little more thinking, and I think what you're saying is that your ignition switch provides a ground out to the starter, correct? If that's the case, then you will need a relay to reverse it. How do you have it wired? It should be like this pic. The 'trigger' will be the ground coming out of the ignition switch, and therefore through the NSS and into the relay at the #85 position. If the wire you say has power that isn't hooked up is #87a, then that is correct, it will have power until the relay is energized, then it won't, but is a moot point since you're not using it anyway. #30 and #86 will have key on ignition power going to them, and #87 will go to the starter. You will need to make sure that 30 and #86 don't loose power while the ignition switch is in the 'crank' position or it won't work.
Attached Thumbnails NSS Wire ??'s-reverse-relay.gif  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Issue was, the rig (Range Rover) does NOT have a Park/Neutral connector that goes to ground. It runs through a TCM, then onto the BECM, then onto the engine ECM.
Thus, there is no full ground, or power, when the shifter is in Park or Neutral. No full ground or power = no way to wire in a relay. I could have went with an electronic relay, but didnt have one on hand. So after talking to Bill at BP today, we decided to just leave it unhooked until I need to reset the PCM.
No easy way to put a switch on the shifter itself neither, as there is a shift interlock taking most available room around the shifter.
It's covered now, thanks for the thought though!
Just an oddball swap, the Range Rover, that had 7 ECM's before the LSx one went in there!

Martin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NSS Wire ??'s