Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Here's a couple more install shots for you guys...one is a shot of the passenger side mild steel long-tube on a 76' model year Camaro and the second is a top-down image of the clearances of the same header and LS coil packs around the OE A/C evaporator case, which may be important to you if you want to run such a set-up. Spark plug accessability is very good with all of these headers and you can run OE spark plug wires with the large boots and heat shields without any contact with the header tubes.
The AC box clearance and even the stock spark plug wire clearance are definitely worth mentioning in the sales literature. Plug wire clearance with my Edelbrock headers was an unexpected $80 kick to the nuts just to get MSD wires to clear.

This shot alone should sell a lot of these headers for you:
Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can have your engine and trans bolted in with our mounts and crossmember for about 400 bucks purchasing the parts through a source such as Summit or Jegs, which is cheaper than the cost of the BRP swap kit prices and gives you fully-engineered parts that have been CAD modeled and FEA analyzed for optimizing strength and structural stiffness. As far as the headers go, a quick check on Summit's site showed the painted mild steel 1-7/8" long-tubes priced at $579, the ceramic mild steel at $724 and the full-tilt stainless headers in all their propriteary component glory at $1026. All of the headers feature flat flange port sealing regardless of which version you choose (TIG welded ports on the mild steel and ground investment cast flanges on the stainless), so you're getting custom-spec quality no matter which version you choose.
Good info. Where do your engine mounts locate the engine? Does it end up similar to the 1" setback plates?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Are these stainless? 1-7/8"? Are they under $800?
The long-tubes are available with 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries in painted, silver ceramic or black ceramic mild steel as well as our full-featured stainless steel headers that incorporate our new premium proprietary components like investment cast flanges and collector spears and one-piece formed merge collectors. I know the painted and ceramic mild steel headers can be had for less than $800, but you won't get access to the stainless at that price as the individual component cost is too prohibitive to hit that price point. If you want to see photos of any of the individual components just let me know and I'll post them up.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by krwyellowZ28
Good info. Where do your engine mounts locate the engine? Does it end up similar to the 1" setback plates?
Yes, by all accounts it's very similar in terms of setback to the stock/1" setback plates out there, but they are not installable with them. Believe me when I say that these headers will not fit with ANY other mounts other than the new Hooker ones (12613HKR) just released for their installation on 75-81 F-bodies. If installation is attempted with another mount setup you will end up with a real mess of a situation and will be completely unsatisfied.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, by all accounts it's very similar in terms of setback to the stock/1" setback plates out there, but they are not installable with them. Believe me when I say that these headers will not fit with ANY other mounts other than the new Hooker ones (12613HKR) just released for their installation on 75-81 F-bodies. If installation is attempted with another mount setup you will end up with a real mess of a situation and will be completely unsatisfied.
Got it... thats definitely understandable. The main reason I ask is because I'm curious what accessories and oil pans will work with the mounts/headers combo. The cookie-cutter LSx 2nd gen setup right now is 1" setback adapter plates, f-body oil pan, and f-body accessory drive and the engine basically drops in. I know Holley offers a swap pan and accessory drive, but if someone starts with an F-body LS1 (like I plan to), it would definitely help the swap budget to just use what ya got.

Kyle
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Got it... thats definitely understandable. The main reason I ask is because I'm curious what accessories and oil pans will work with the mounts/headers combo. The cookie-cutter LSx 2nd gen setup right now is 1" setback adapter plates, f-body oil pan, and f-body accessory drive and the engine basically drops in. I know Holley offers a swap pan and accessory drive, but if someone starts with an F-body LS1 (like I plan to), it would definitely help the swap budget to just use what ya got.

Kyle
Since you're inquiring about accessory drives and oil pans, you may be interested in this image, which shows the Holley oil pan and accessory drive brackets all installed with the Hooker headers, engine mounts and transmission crossmember on the same 76' year model car I've been showing the images from. Your not going to get a low-mount A/C in with this set-up due to the set-back of the motor and the design geometry of the engine mount brackets, but the Holley brackets are so affordable that you don't feel like you're getting a good shake down anymore to relocate your compressor; we make the brackets for both the R4 and Sanden compressors. The truck water pump spacing actually works the best with these brackets in positioning the P/S pulley away from the steering box fittings. You can also run the stock F-body pan without issue and I believe a CTS-V pan would also work, but I'm not positive on that one.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released-img_1337.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Worthwhile pics of the day

I'm putting up some images of the components used to build the stainless versions of the headers today as they display the heightened level of detail you can expect over that of our mild steel versions of these headers or of the other stainless offerings in the market. The mild steel headers were also given extra attention as the flanges, gaskets and fasteners used in their construction/packaging were also updated, as was the weld method used to finish the ports; the common raised weld bead configuration was eschewed in favor of flat finished TIG welded ports.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released-1.875-ls-flange-front.jpg   New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released-1.875-ls-flange-back.jpg   New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released-merge-collector-spear.jpg   New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released-assembled-collector.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

I'm putting up some images of the components used to build the stainless versions of the headers today as they display the heightened level of detail you can expect over that of our mild steel versions of these headers or of the other stainless offerings in the market. The mild steel headers were also given extra attention as the flanges, gaskets and fasteners used in their construction/packaging were also updated, as was the weld method used to finish the ports; the common raised weld bead configuration was eschewed in favor of flat finished TIG welded ports.
The cast flanges are very nice. Will they be made available for people that want to build custom/turbo headers?

Andrew
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The cast flanges are very nice. Will they be made available for people that want to build custom/turbo headers?

Andrew
Yes they will Andrew, along with the collectors, attenuation spears and some other new componets we've been working on.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

That's good news! Will those collectors be available in mild steel as well as stainless?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ctd450
That's good news! Will those collectors be available in mild steel as well as stainless?
No, they will only be available in stainless steel as we only use them on our new full-featured stainless headers such as these. The forming method used to make them is too costly to be able incorporate their use on our mild steel headers. There would be nothing to prevent you from buiding a set of mild steel headers with 304ss collectors, you would just want to use 309L filler wire to weld them together and coat them as usual. Have you priced true fabricated merge collectors lately? These collectors and attenuators will provide 85-90 percent of the same benefits at a fraction of the cost and are a real value being included as part of our stainless headers.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I have priced them, that's why I inquired about the mild steel. Thanks for the advice on the welding wire. I'll keep an eye out for these parts, nice work!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ctd450
Yeah, I have priced them, that's why I inquired about the mild steel. Thanks for the advice on the welding wire. I'll keep an eye out for these parts, nice work!
Hey, thanks for noticing. We've been doing a lot of development work at the component level over the last year and a half and I think you're going to see some results of those efforts that will surprise you in our upcoming product releases. We've got new stamped crossovers that are being released with these header components as well for you guys that like to fab your own exhaust, which is what I used to fabricate the X-pipe for the project you see in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released-img_1112.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As for this 2nd gen kit, the headers look great. I do NOT want to fight the poor ground clearance of my Edelbrock swap headers that are on the GTO, when it comes time to swap my '79 Firebird.

Kyle
Right there with you, Kyle. My F-body's ground clearance would be a non-issue without these hanging low...

Last edited by 1981TA; 05-28-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

What were the prices on the Headers? Is there going to be a kit with the engine mounts since you need to use them with the headers?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome products! I can't wait to get a set!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Hats off to you guys at Hooker for jumping on these. I seen these posted on your website a few months ago. Glad you are here @ LS1tech showcasing them The ground clearance looks great. I do wonder why the pass. side has the pipes snaking around like they so. That snaking is a eyesore IMHO. But. that's the best ground clearance I've seen yet for LTs.

I also think who ever was responsible for the Corvette style FEAD hit a GRADSLAM. Any plans on trying to do a low mount A/C too?

Jim
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
What were the prices on the Headers? Is there going to be a kit with the engine mounts since you need to use them with the headers?
Go check out the prices of the individual parts on summitracing or jegs and that will give you a good idea of what you're looking at price-wise. As of right now, all the components are sold separately to allow someone determined enough to build their own mounts to be able to buy the headers in a stand-alone fashion without having to buy the mounts. The part numbers are as follows:

12613HKR- 75'-81' engine mounts
12614HKR- automatic trans crossmember
12616HKR- T56 trans crossmember
2471HKR- 1-3/4" mid-length headers (painted)
2471-1HKR- 1-3/4" mid-length headers (silver ceramic)
2471-3HKR- 1-3/4" mid-length headers (black ceramic)
2472HKR- 1-7/8" mid-length headers (painted)
2472-1HKR- 1-7/8" mid-length headers (black ceramic)
2472-3HKR- 1-7/8" mid-length headers (black ceramic)
2295HKR- 1-3/4" long-tubes (painted)
2295-1HKR 1-3/4" long-tubes (silver ceramic)
2295-3HKR 1-3/4" long-tubes (black ceramic)
2295-7HKR 1-3/4" full-featured stainless steel long-tubes
2296HKR- 1-7/8" long-tubes (painted)
2296-1HKR 1-7/8" long-tubes (silver ceramic)
2296-3HKR 1-7/8" long-tubes (black ceramic)
2296-7HKR 1-7/8" full-featured stainless steel long-tubes

Todd
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Hats off to you guys at Hooker for jumping on these. I seen these posted on your website a few months ago. Glad you are here @ LS1tech showcasing them The ground clearance looks great. I do wonder why the pass. side has the pipes snaking around like they so. That snaking is a eyesore IMHO. But. that's the best ground clearance I've seen yet for LTs.

I also think who ever was responsible for the Corvette style FEAD hit a GRADSLAM. Any plans on trying to do a low mount A/C too?

Jim
Hello Jim and thanks for the feedback. The tube bend geometry was laid out like it is on both sides purposely to acheive the follow design requirements:

1.)Best available ground clearance
2.)Equal length primaries within 10% of each other
3.)Full compatibility with stock or Quicktime bellhousings (for T56
applications)
4.)Fully compatible with the stock OE spark plugs, no aftermarket wires
needed.
5.)Best available spark plug servicability
6.)Fully compatible with mechanical clutch linkage (Z-bar modification
required)
7.)Fully compatible with the stock A/C evaporator case for those who wish to
run that set-up, which means no tubes can run over the top of the
other tubes along the passenger side flange

That considerable list of requirements provided real challenges in regards to the tube layout and somewhat dictates the final visual look of the headers. If you are not approving of the visual look of them, I respect your right to have that opinion but would hope you would hold final judgement until you see them in their installed state on a completed vehicle...they fit the car like a glove.

Thank you also for your approval of our accesory drive set-up, as we worked hard on that one as well to bring an affordable quality solution to the market...where we'll go from them to add to those components is undecided at the moment.

Regards,

Todd
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released-img_1449.jpg  

Last edited by Toddoky; 06-12-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you post a better underneath shot of the driver-side head, particularly the area where it comes closest to the cross member? I'll trade you with a pic of mine. The goal here is to see whether the headers will clear a corvette batwing pan in a late 2nd gen. I'm 99% sure the passenger side will clear.

As you know, I'm the oddball here, but this would be a good selling point. To my knowledge, the only set that fits is no longer manufactured and also hangs a bit low.

Last edited by 1981TA; 06-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body LS swap components now released