Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which swap is better and y?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which swap is better and y?

What's the best swap option as far as intake and y, carb or stay efi?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 71monte-carlo
What's the best swap option as far as intake and y, carb or stay efi?
This question brings about the same emotions as asking which news station, political party or religion is best. Very few people bringing solid, factual, emotion free answers to the discussion. Sadly it usually explodes into a finger pointing internet pissing match.

FOR ME (key words), EFI rules the roost.
Benefits:
Reliable, flexible, always starts in any weather and always runs the same at -20 or 120 ambient temp.
Hood clearance which wasn't going to happen in one of my projects without a cowl hood and that was a no-go.
I bought HP Tuners and the ability to completely change the attitude and drive-ability (including shift points) without leaving the driver's seat or getting dirty is simply awesome.
Ability to use a computer to test, log and troubleshoot.
Cheaper overall - IF you get EVERYTHING with the engine (sensors, harness, PCM, etc).

Detriments:
Extra wiring required
Learning curve (if you want to modify it)
SOME additional expense to convert a non-EFI vehicle. Most people go way overkill on this one and buy stainless braided everything.

I'll never build another carb car for myself again unless it is necessary for class rules. I will however build them for other people.

In short it really depends on your personal requirements and desires. You couldn't walk, talk or write at some point and you learned, then you learned to run, draw, talk and read. EFI is the same way, just more knowledge.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EFI all the way.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

More work to go efi but the drivability and gas mileage was the big plus for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went efi and I think my next conversion will be also. Only because this time it'll be a daily driver, summer winter anytime anywhere. that is y I believe injection is better, u can do just that, no worries about cold starts
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Teching In

As GoFast stated there is a little bit of a learning curve but I knew nothing about the wiring or EFI system and researched everything on here and lt1swap.com and still completed it relatively easy. If it was a nice summer day driver one time a month then a carb would be fine but there is a reason no manufacturer is using carbs anymore. The benefits of EFI outweigh the simpleness of a carb.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

it all comes down to preference and the style of your build. there are so many different options out there.

Quick Reply: Which swap is better and y?