Sponsored by:

Subaru SVX LS conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru SVX LS conversion

Hello guys...Great looking forum you got here

So I own a Subaru SVX. Many of you probably don't know it, so here's a quick spec list:
  • 3.3 flat 6 making 230hp
  • 4sp auto trans that sucks
  • close to no aftermarket support
  • fragile engine for a proper tune

So yeah, I wanted 400hp and everybody's like no, not gonna happen, or it's gonna cost 20k or ...
So I'm seriously considering an LS swap. There has been one case of a successful LS swap so it is possible.

Just wanted to ask you guys about the options...I wanted to try the C5 corvette engine and trans...should fit pretty nicely but you guys certainly know better.
I just want an injected LS, with a preference to a rear mounted transmission for better weight balance. I also want it to be cheap, and pass smog in the shitty state of California. I want to do the swap first, then work on more power. 500 is a great number but that's better be decided after the swap.

Any other piece of advice is appreciated.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I dont know what else to tell you but its gonna cost a lot of money. Your gonna cut the car up to fit a rear trans and suspension (because they are all bolted together to work. Then your gonna need to shorten you torque tube and prop shaft (which isnt cheap).

You would have a much better chance of putting a camaro engine and trains. Even then youll most likly neet to modify your tunnel, and we havent even started talkingfuel system.

Dont get me wrong I love the idea. But its gonna be pricey, take time, and be frustrating. Youll definetly need custom headers.

I would drop a turbo or super charger on it. get someone to build the trans. Still gonna be cheaper.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel system would be the easiest part of that swap. Just swap them pump w/ an aftermarket one, get a fitting for the rail and you're done.

For the corvette driveline you'll have to cut up the whole floor and then make sure what you create over the driveline is structurally sound. Yep, just using a normal transmission would be better and shouldn't be too hard to get it balanced.

You say there's already one running around, find that guy and ask him about it. Seemed like when I did my swap there was one other guy that did it, he saved me a lot of time and if I listened to everything he said from the start would have saved me more time and money.

What would I do, swap in a STi driveline and go from there.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Wait, you mean that the trans and suspension are in one piece?!
But the wheelbases are within 2 inches of each other...depending on whre I mount the engine, I could be fine without cutting the torque tube and prop shaft.
I'd have to cut quite a bit to fit the the Camaro trans...doubt it fitting in place of a 4eat!
How much do those transmission handle stock?
Also you say it'll be expensive but how expensive? With no tune or anything, just buying a relatively cheap engine and trans and mounting it? 5k?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Not going to downsize to a 2.5l f4!
So I guess I'll be doing a normal engine mounted trans! It's better to keep it simple for now!
What diff should I use?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

An EJ20T might be a cheaper, easier option that will still net you plenty of power.

That said, read some of the newer Subaru LS swaps and steal what information you can. Subaru stuff is very interchangeable, so what works in a Legacy or WRX should be similar for an SVX.

The SVX is awesome aside from the drivetrain, so I want to see this swap work.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Teching In

I'll do that. It's just that the SVX had a longer wheelbase and more room in the engine bay, so I though the C5 swap would actually work!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

The LS1 will fit but the C5 transaxle will be a ton of fab. I think the F-body T56 fits and the stock WRX rear end will live for a while.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by david_12121
I'll do that. It's just that the SVX had a longer wheelbase and more room in the engine bay, so I though the C5 swap would actually work!
The problem is that the C5 setup places the engine behind the centerline of the front wheels. On your car, this would put it under the windshield and into the dash area. Lengthening the torque tube and shaft would allow you to move the engine further forward, but would cost $$$.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Teching In

I'm doubtful that the stock WRX diff will hold! 270hp, awd, vs +300 RWD!
Regarding the sizing issue, I'm gonna need to fabricate the engine mounts, so I can change where it sits a little bit. But the Camaro option is by far the easiest so I'm going with that for now!
I'm currently looking for a crashed Camaro...it's cheaper and easier that way. At least I can know that the engine runs and I'll have everything I would need!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

I can't find solid numbers, but several STI forums popped up with claims of 600-800 AWHP on the stock rear diff.

Have you considered an EZ30 with some boost?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
I can't find solid numbers, but several STI forums popped up with claims of 600-800 AWHP on the stock rear diff.

I'm a big Subaru fan. As for what you're saying i r tech noobz, Both of those options would be awesome but the amount of money it would take to build an STi engine to that kind of power is VERY expensive. It would take 20k+ to build an engine to handle that much power. As for the EZ check this out,
http://www.garagetuning.com/swapprice.html
Keep in mind those other prices are just stock engines. A tighter budget and some fab skill will make this SVX so badass. Good luck man!

Also if anybody's interested here's a vid of a boosted EG33 in an impreza
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz

600-800 AWHP is no more than 500 to the rears, even if it has the DCCD in there! It'll be pushing it! But I might try one if I find it for cheap. Use it til it breaks!
As for the EZ, it's a bit better that the EG but still takes a lot to make that much power! V8 is easy power and massive torque! It makes more sense to me for a street car!

Originally Posted by YoungBlood71
A tighter budget and some fab skill will make this SVX so badass. Good luck man!

Also if anybody's interested here's a vid of a boosted EG33 in an impreza
Subaru Impreza WRX H6 boxer engine - Mallala 1.15.97 with onscreen gauges - YouTube
Thank you, sir! Still looking for the space to do it! But I'm not sure yet! Might leave it for next summer!
And I loved that vid of the EG33...sounds so much better when it has the power to rev up fast

Just curious...is there anyone in the bay area who's willing to help me out with this...I'll pay and they also get the privilege of driving the car when it's done!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by david_12121
Hello guys...Great looking forum you got here

So I own a Subaru SVX. Many of you probably don't know it, so here's a quick spec list:
  • 3.3 flat 6 making 230hp
  • 4sp auto trans that sucks
  • close to no aftermarket support
  • fragile engine for a proper tune

So yeah, I wanted 400hp and everybody's like no, not gonna happen, or it's gonna cost 20k or ...
So I'm seriously considering an LS swap. There has been one case of a successful LS swap so it is possible.

Just wanted to ask you guys about the options...I wanted to try the C5 corvette engine and trans...should fit pretty nicely but you guys certainly know better.
I just want an injected LS, with a preference to a rear mounted transmission for better weight balance. I also want it to be cheap, and pass smog in the shitty state of California. I want to do the swap first, then work on more power. 500 is a great number but that's better be decided after the swap.

Any other piece of advice is appreciated.

I'm not real familiar with the cali rules, but isn't this the biggest challenge of this swap???
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Krom
I'm not real familiar with the cali rules, but isn't this the biggest challenge of this swap???
It was at first but I've found a couple of options. Based on the laws, you can have every drivetrain piece of one car swapped into another, given that the donor is newer, and you have ALL the parts, ie muffler, cat(s), etc.
So one option is to do legally.
The other to smog with old engine, swap and keep the old in a reversible fashion in case one cop knows the SVX and can tell that it shouldn't sound like a V8! (never gonna happen )
Third option is to fake a smog test...no more info on this one

I'll try to go with the first...
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Can't wait to see this happen.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly if it is an auto now, go with a 5.3 with an automatic 4l60 or 4l80 trans combo. Cheap and readily available. You can put all the same go fast bits on the 5.3 as the ls6 or ls1. Get the aluminum l33 5.3 out of a 2005ish car for light weight. Fitting the 4l80 might require some adjustments, but it sounds like you are going to have to do that regardless. They make new floor pans that are universal that you could weld in.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sarg
Honestly if it is an auto now, go with a 5.3 with an automatic 4l60 or 4l80 trans combo. Cheap and readily available. You can put all the same go fast bits on the 5.3 as the ls6 or ls1. Get the aluminum l33 5.3 out of a 2005ish car for light weight. Fitting the 4l80 might require some adjustments, but it sounds like you are going to have to do that regardless. They make new floor pans that are universal that you could weld in.
I hate autos! Even if I keep the engine, I will still do a manual swap!
But the aluminum sounds good. Based on my short research, the l33 is an engine from pickup trucks! Doesn't that mean it's kinda lazier? Or all LS are created equal?!
It's all about a balance between fitment and price.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Banned

Well really looking forward to it..just anxious to see that..by the way nice video you got out there..thanks for posting it.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Teching In

L33 engines have 243 heads (same as the LS6). You won't have a problem getting more power out of it. It has 80 more horses than the EG33 anyway in stock form. And it's aruminum.

Quick Reply: Subaru SVX LS conversion