Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP-- no coolant flow

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP-- no coolant flow

Just replaced thermostat and cannot get thermostat to open ( did check in a pot of boiling water ), my thoughts are that there is air locked or i have a bad water pump. I did pour coolant into the upper rad line , even opened up the steam line and let it **** out a bit , also jacked up front of car to get air up and out . thermostat is 185 , fan is set at 192 guage is showing around 205 .no time left today but thought i would eliminate the thermostat to see if the pump is circulating . keep in mind that the car was submerged in sandy . THANKS JOHN
Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

205 is normal operating temp.

I usually have to open the steam lines a few times while it runs before I get all the air out.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull a heater hose off of the core and fill behind the thermostat through it. It will open after that.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Pull a heater hose off of the core and fill behind the thermostat through it. It will open after that.
OK so I took one hose off and filled with hose I took off by thermostat and added a piece of hose temp. by thermostat , filled and gently blew into hoses and pushed a lot of air out . thermostat will only open when i disconnect fan ( its keeping everything to cool and preventing thermostat from opening ) programer set fan to come on to low , I think it needs to come on after thermostat opens ??

Last edited by john 67; 05-28-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have purchased a thermostat with a higher opening temp rating than what was in the engine before??

I hope you make it to tx! if you need anything when you get here im only 10-15 min from UTA.

Quick Reply: HELP-- no coolant flow