Sponsored by:

Power steering pulley removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering pulley removal

Hey all,

My power steering pump (truck style) sprung a leak between the pump and the reservoir. It is an AC Delco reman pump/res from rock auto and I am going to try and get them to replace it on warranty. I'm running Lucas PS stop leak in there now and it isn't helping so far.

My problem is that I, like many others, am running a smaller, Ford van, pulley and they get pushed on a little past the end of the GM pump's shaft. In the past I've broke 2 of the GM plastic pulleys because the rental tools at autozone aren't really made to push the pulley on further than flush, or (more importantly) take it off when its on that far.

How are you guys getting these pulleys off once they are pushed on past the end of the shaft? Is there a mysterious tool somewhere that does a better job than the AZ design that uses 2 half circle clamps with a retaining collar? Is there a smaller, aftermarket, pulley that is now available and is the new popular swap pulley?

I really don't feel like JY diving for a back-up pulley in case something goes wrong when trying to get the pulley off....

Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only kind of puller I have ever used has 2 C-shaped pieces that are held in place with a circular band around them. I broke the Harbor Freight tool, but the Snap-On one I borrowed was basically the same thing, just better quality.

By the way, Watterson is a genius.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone one worked like a charm for me, sometimes you can heat the pulley a little with a propane/map torch to make removal/install easier
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by superdave84
By the way, Watterson is a genius.
Best comics EVER

I know the autozone one works, its the tool I carried into the yards when I was grabbing every pulley I could find. But the problem is that it is designed to pull pulleys that are flush with the end of the pump shaft and my pulley is pushed about another 1/8" farther on for belt alignment. If the half circles were a little longer to give it more of a reach it would work perfect for me...

I have a 2 prong puller from Harbor Freight and it sucks big time, maybe if I buy a good brand I'll have better luck...the HF one bent on me the first time I used it and I don't think the rotating tip did any independent rotating once there was some pressure applied...
Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Make some 1/4" spacers to go on the 3 mounting bolts between the pump and bracket. That moves the pump back so the pulley does not have to be pushed so far on the shaft that a standard PS pulley remover cant be used.
You can see a spacer on one bolt here:

But I still had to use this nifty tool to push on just past the end of the shaft. But the removal tool still reaches it.

Last edited by garys 68; 06-25-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Is that a pipe coupler
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep. The standard PS pulley installer only seats it flush with the end of the shaft. Had the pipe coupler on hand, pushed the pully to the correct depth past the end of the shaft.
Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
Is that a pipe coupler
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the idea Gary. I didn't think of using spacers when the new pump goes on to make any future issues easier to handle. I think I used a pipe coupler when I pressed mine on too lol. I like the button head bolts, I ground down the head of the 1 bolt and am a little worried it might strip out when it comes time to remove the pump.

So far its looks like the 2 jaw puller might be my best option for getting it off of my current pump.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Would this one be deep enough...???

It's the only one I use anymore...

Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe, if there is room between the end of the pulley nose and the top of the cup. What brand is that one? Do you have a part number for it?

That one is definitely something that could be checked in the parking lot for fit and then returned if it can't reach... if I can find it locally.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
What brand is that one? Do you have a part number for it?
I have two...I can't find a part# on the one above...but the one below,(doubles as a water pump puller)

Is a Kent-Moore...

Part J-29785...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm I'll have to keep looking around for the kent-moore tools. A quick search shows "snap-on" level prices which are a no go for me considering how little money I have and how little it will be used. I'm going to start stopping at every auto parts store I pass and see if they have tools of that style for sale/rent.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Power steering pulley removal