Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 ss 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 ss 5.3 swap

I have had my 86 Monte Carlo SS for about 5 years now and decided it was time to finally do the swap! The gmpp 330hp ho 350 w/700r4(corvette servo and shift kit) was a pretty good setup but ive been dreaming of a ls powered car for a long time. For now it will be naturally aspirated but future plans are a single s400 on a built motor.

New Engine: 2000 5.3
799 heads w/ls6 springs
ls6 cam
ls2 timing set
high flow melling oil pump

Trans: 65 th400
32 element sprag
full jakes performance rebuild kit
turbo action full manual reverse VB
2500rpm stall

Pulling her to the shop to pull the old powerplant. A little overkill on the tow rig.

Dont mind the crank snout.....

B&M Pro Ratchet under factory console?? you bet!!

Next roadblock, ls6 manifolds barely dont fit. Im not sure if i can safely trim the a-arm?

I have a harness and ecu from the motor but i think i will be buying a preassembled standalone harness for ease and how clean they look. I will be using electric fans from a 91 z28. Still need to finish my fuel system which consists of a competition engineering sump, braided aeroquip line, summit an fittings, and a wally 255.
I still need a driveshaft, alternator, full exhaust, and alot of wiring. Tuning will be done by myself with hptuners.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Also forgot to mention i have an 8.8 rearend out of an explorer soo it is the tru-trac locker, 31 spline axles, disc brakes, and 3.73 gear. the diff is offset which means i will be shortening one axle tube. Ive searched alot about swapping this rear into a g-body but havent found much on the explorer/mountaineer rears. Anybody have any input on this swap? Should i just nut up and buy the 9" ready for a g-body? This project is in every way a budget build and id hate to spend alot when i have this rear.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

you can use truck manifolds and just weld V bands on there instead of having those huge 3 bolt flanges..

I have done an 87 monte carlo with truck manifolds and my El Camino has one truck manifold and the other is a custom log manifold for the turbo..
Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by reborn750
Also forgot to mention i have an 8.8 rearend out of an explorer soo it is the tru-trac locker, 31 spline axles, disc brakes, and 3.73 gear. the diff is offset which means i will be shortening one axle tube. Ive searched alot about swapping this rear into a g-body but havent found much on the explorer/mountaineer rears. Anybody have any input on this swap? Should i just nut up and buy the 9" ready for a g-body? This project is in every way a budget build and id hate to spend alot when i have this rear.
I have done 8.8 swaps in gbodys before with great results. Problem with truck rears there leaf spring suspension. You want to get a mustang 8.8 87-93 with 4 link. Join maliburacing forum for all 8.8 answers solved.if your positive on using the manifolds buy the speedtech tubular upper arms for 80 bucks for the pair it gives you.clearence vs stock arms.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I will get a set of upper arms ordered. As for the 8.8 ive noticed most guys use the mustang/vic rears for the 4-link but I like the explorer rear for the 31-spline axles. I havent seen any info for these rears but alot of places sell the 4-link axle mounts for bagging trucks, etc. Id like to go this route but getting the pinion angle and ride height correct scares me
Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Is there any reason I cant just have these brackets welded to my explorer 8.8 and use adjustable arms to set everything right?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard and good to see another LS Gbody...

For the 8.8 its kind of hard to weld upper arm perches on the cast iron and you will have to get the explorer rear narrowed.

I don't know where you are located but I have a 8.8 from a mustang that I do not plan to use due to the instant center issues the geometry of that rear causes in the suspension.

I would also be worried about that oil pan, it hangs dangerously low.

Quick Reply: 86 ss 5.3 swap