Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: "redesigned" Russell fittings

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

And shady shops use them to repair brakes lines at over 1000psi frequently and they often hold. We're not talking about the handful of installs and experiences you've had with them. The ratio of issues with the push lock fittings is tiny compared to trouble free installs

The point is they arent rated to hold the pressure and shouldnt be used in that application
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
And shady shops use them to repair brakes lines at over 1000psi frequently and they often hold. We're not talking about the handful of installs and experiences you've had with them. The ratio of issues with the push lock fittings is tiny compared to trouble free installs

The point is they arent rated to hold the pressure and shouldnt be used in that application
Ok, I'm just sayin I'd trust compression fittings before these Russell fittings, rated or not.

To each their own, I've had good experience with the "not rated" compression fittings, sounds like you haven't, or are just basing your opinion on published ratings.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Street & Performance uses the swagelocks on all their installs, were not talking the brass hardware store variety of compression fitting. I would put 10-1 odds that a Russell fitting would fail before a swagelock compression fitting. Put a swagelock stainless steel compression fitting in your hand and take it apart and see how it is made and that it not only uses a ferrule to help seal but also a collet. If installed properly, there is no way that it will leak or fail, hence the price of about $35.00 each.

With that said I have and am using both the new Russell style fitting at my fuel rail and the Swagelocks on my fuel pressure regulator on my swap with over a couple thousand trouble free miles.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

20,000 + miles on the Dorman OE plastic fittings.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You would think if it was the fitting's fault there would be a lot more of these threads popping up, especially after the first run of fittings with the plastic retainers that would not let the line seat into the hose end body
Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
You would think if it was the fitting's fault there would be a lot more of these threads popping up, especially after the first run of fittings with the plastic retainers that would not let the line seat into the hose end body
Even if it is installer error this is a good warning to those using this fitting to check them regularly.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree, but you should also check your lugnuts on aluminum wheels, most dont. I wouldn't trade my fittings for anything other than AN, and I am not going that route.

Quick Reply: Warning: "redesigned" Russell fittings