Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first build- 1981 chevy c10

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first build- 1981 chevy c10

Hello,
My name is Patrick. I just turned 16 in July. I'm not real new to the forum (I've been reading lots of threads doin research) but this is my first time posting.

First for some background on the truck.
My project truck is a 1981 chevy c10 single cab stepside. It is not my daily driver (I have a 1997 z71 as my dd) so I won't be in any hurry to complete the build. The truck was free because if used to be my grandmas but my grandpa never took care of it and always let it over heat (my dad said he didn't stop driving it until smoke was pouring out of the hood and finally quit runnin but I was too young to remember) and its been sittin in the field next to my grandparents house for close to 10 years.

Now that you have some background these are my plans.
I wanna build a turbo'd 5.3 lm7. My goal is only about 400-500 hp because it needs to be plenty street able because it will be my dd once it's done. This is where y'all come in, I need help choosing a turbo, intercooler, wastegate, etc. I am on a very tight budget so I'd like to do this as cheaply as I can and the truck will be worked on as money is available. I'd like to keep the engine build under 2k. I want an automatic transmission so probably a 4l80e or 4l60e but I haven't done much research on transmission so I don't know the limitations to either. And it will be gettin some suspension work as well. Most likely a new rear end because I'm sure the stock one won't handle much. I'm not worried about how the truck looks because it will be clear coated and eventually built into the ultimate sleeper, like farmtruck for those of you that watch street outlaws. And I'd actually like to set up a race with farmtruck once it's done. But that's later on down the road. For now I just need a reliable dd I can take to the track and have some fun in.

And I did post this is both conversions & hybrids and forced induction. I did this because the build will be more conversions and hybrids but I need the opinions of the guys in forced induction for the turbo side of things.

Now for a picture. (I'll have more soon)
Attached Thumbnails My first build- 1981 chevy c10-image.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Nice man! I'm 16 just finishing up my 85 long bed build, will also be my dd. let me know where you put the intercooler I hope to do a turbo once im in college. I dont see any room for one in my truck
Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by LSx '85 C10
Nice man! I'm 16 just finishing up my 85 long bed build, will also be my dd. let me know where you put the intercooler I hope to do a turbo once im in college. I dont see any room for one in my truck
Thanks.

Do you have a link to your build thread? I'd love to read through it before I start my build.

I haven't really thought about intercooler placement, I kinda assumed it would fit between the grill and radiator like they do it in most cars. I'll have to check into that and see what kind of room there is.

And the truck is still at my grandparents house until I can find a place to keep the truck closer to my house (my grandparents love about 5 hours away). And I can't keep it at my house because we're renting and our landlord is kinda weird but anyway he said all our vehicles had to be running and driving at all times am we're only allowed to have 2 vehicles. And there's my truck and my moms car. So no room for my project truck. Once I figure something out though I'll be starting on the build.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 81chevyc10
Thanks.

Do you have a link to your build thread? I'd love to read through it before I start my build.

I haven't really thought about intercooler placement, I kinda assumed it would fit between the grill and radiator like they do it in most cars. I'll have to check into that and see what kind of room there is.

And the truck is still at my grandparents house until I can find a place to keep the truck closer to my house (my grandparents love about 5 hours away). And I can't keep it at my house because we're renting and our landlord is kinda weird but anyway he said all our vehicles had to be running and driving at all times am we're only allowed to have 2 vehicles. And there's my truck and my moms car. So no room for my project truck. Once I figure something out though I'll be starting on the build.
There's a brace in between the grill and condenser that doesn't allow much room. maybe you could do two smaller ones somewhere or something like that here is my build thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...pic-heavy.html
Old 08-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Teching In

I just did this swap on my '84 SWB. Mine is low budget, home built, farm-truck like build too...although I've had it for 5 years...(I was farm truck before farm truck was cool ). I'm using a Garrett TV7512 (T6 76mm with .96 exhaust) which is a off a diesel bus. If your looking for a budget turbo these diesel turbos (GT, TV, S400, etc) work good and can be had for cheap. I home built the motor mounts, used the GM spacer and bolts on the flexplate. Flipped stock manifolds (cut and v-banded), home built hot side, microsquirt controlling fuel and spark, stock fuel rails with 60lb injectors, Bosch 044 pump. I probably have under $1000 in the whole swap..but home building everything has been a lot of work too! It's great to see young guys like you wanting to do this type of thing! Good luck to you.
My build thread: http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/for...d.php?t=137881
Old 08-11-2013, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1fastpickup
I just did this swap on my '84 SWB. Mine is low budget, home built, farm-truck like build too...although I've had it for 5 years...(I was farm truck before farm truck was cool ). I'm using a Garrett TV7512 (T6 76mm with .96 exhaust) which is a off a diesel bus. If your looking for a budget turbo these diesel turbos (GT, TV, S400, etc) work good and can be had for cheap. I home built the motor mounts, used the GM spacer and bolts on the flexplate. Flipped stock manifolds (cut and v-banded), home built hot side, microsquirt controlling fuel and spark, stock fuel rails with 60lb injectors, Bosch 044 pump. I probably have under $1000 in the whole swap..but home building everything has been a lot of work too! It's great to see young guys like you wanting to do this type of thing! Good luck to you.
do you plan on an intercooler than? I didn't see one on your SBC. I would like to build my own turbo headers instead of flipping the truck manifolds, I think those are ugly in but that's just my .02.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM

There's a brace in between the grill and condenser that doesn't allow much room. maybe you could do two smaller ones somewhere or something like that here is my build thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...pic-heavy.html
I wonder if you cut out part of the brace where you want the intercooler and reinforced it with 1"x1" square tubing around the intercooler if it'd be as strong as the original brace. Im sure you could make it to where it is strong enough with the right bracing.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Thanks so much for the information. I will definitely be reading yours and LSx '85 C10's thread soon.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I wonder if you cut out part of the brace where you want the intercooler and reinforced it with 1"x1" square tubing around the intercooler if it'd be as strong as the original brace. Im sure you could make it to where it is strong enough with the right bracing.
That's very possible! never thought of that, I'm doing a transcooler across that area so that might need to be relocated or get a radiator with one in it but the external coolers are supposed to be better for cooling
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM

That's very possible! never thought of that, I'm doing a transcooler across that area so that might need to be relocated or get a radiator with one in it but the external coolers are supposed to be better for cooling
Glad I could be helpful.

Patrick
Old 08-14-2013, 01:02 PM

Where did you get your turbo from? A junkyard?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Teching In

do you plan on an intercooler than? I didn't see one on your SBC. I would like to build my own turbo headers instead of flipping the truck manifolds, I think those are ugly in but that's just my .02.
The SBC had meth injection with no intercooler. For the 5.3 I have an air to water intercooler, I just haven't got to putting it on yet. (and I still have the meth injection as well)
...and yeah, the flipped manifolds are ugly...but they work and are dirt cheap (I have less than $50 in them which is just the v-bands)
Where did you get your turbo from? A junkyard?
I bought mine used off eBay (as well as the GT40 I had on the SBC). There are plenty out there you just have to do a little investigation. They are usually being sold for the diesel equipment they belong to so searching for something like "Garrett 76mm" won't find them because they are listed as "Detroit Diesel, Cat Diesel, Mack Turbo or by OE part number" or something like that. You have to do some googling to figure out what the OE number model/specs are.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM

The SBC had meth injection with no intercooler. For the 5.3 I have an air to water intercooler, I just haven't got to putting it on yet. (and I still have the meth injection as well)
...and yeah, the flipped manifolds are ugly...but they work and are dirt cheap (I have less than $50 in them which is just the v-bands)

I bought mine used off eBay (as well as the GT40 I had on the SBC). There are plenty out there you just have to do a little investigation. They are usually being sold for the diesel equipment they belong to so searching for something like "Garrett 76mm" won't find them because they are listed as "Detroit Diesel, Cat Diesel, Mack Turbo or by OE part number" or something like that. You have to do some googling to figure out what the OE number model/specs are.
Thanks for the information. Time to wear out google
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

cool, what color are you thinking of? I've always like those stepsides with deep bright red or deep blue.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by dvdswan
cool, what color are you thinking of? I've always like those stepsides with deep bright red or deep blue.
I was thinking either clear coating it for the sleeper look or the original color.

Quick Reply: My first build- 1981 chevy c10