Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter ?

Old 08-16-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default lifter ?

Got my 08 ly6 running in my 68 c10 , runs excellent , butttttttt , lifter sticks , its suposed to be a 30000 mile motor I got from bowauto and I dont doubt that , has been sitting not running for months Im sure , if not a year or 2 . I put half a quart of marvel mystery oil in , I think its working , In case it does not , are the roller lifters in the ly6s the same as the delphi lifters from say a zz4 engine , I have a set of those , or I also have an 4.8 litter truck engine that threw a rod out the block , are these interchangeable ?
Anyone know part numbers ?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If it was me, I would buy a complete set of new GM lifters and trays from a local GMPP dealer or Scoggin Dickey (see links). They are "only" $150 and it's just as much work to pull one as it is to do all 16. You could save a few dollars and only buy lifers for $122, but either way I would replace the set.

Granted, to do this job properly you will also need head gaskets and head bolts...
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup.. GM Didn't make it easy or cheap to replace Lifters in these engine. I agree, you got it down that far.. if your going to keep the car/engine, you may as well reaplace them all .. (providing your not trying to flip it for a quick sale).

BC
Old 08-16-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have the oil pump off? If you tear the pick up o-ring the lifter will tap it foams the oil sucking air. Something to check before you rip the heads off the car.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no foam in my oil , hope the mavel mystery fixes it , i dont want to take the heads off
Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont see it, its really hard to catch it mine did it during normal drive stop the car and it would go away. Just something to consider if it gets to that point, loose rocker will do it to. Don't know if you ever had anything apart on the motor
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my knowledge the roller lifters are interchangeable, SBC and LS. They are reasonably priced for a set. On a budget, take them out, disassemble, clean and reinstall. You could reuse the head gasket if it's an MLS, sometimes even the graphite one. Not recommending it but sometimes. Get new head bolts for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lifter ?