Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spectra Premium Classic Injection Camaro Tank in a Nova

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectra Premium Classic Injection Camaro Tank in a Nova

So I've got a 1972 Nova that I'm about to put an LS motor in and I'm currently setting up the fuel system.
I decided to make a 1968 camaro tank and filler neck fit. I'm going to be putting the camaro filler cap in the rear panel and using a Spectra Premium classic injection tank with the sending unit/pump and baffles already in it rather than modifying my nova tank.

Here's a link to my thread I started on Steve's Nova Site. I figured I'd start one here too, since other Nova owners may want this info too.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=228602
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

I was digging through the internet, including this sight, looking for a way to cheaply and cleanly integrate an in-tank setup for my LS swap and I found this...

Spectra Premium GM32BFI
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...811&cc=1034738
This is a stock replacement 1st Generation Camaro tank specifically built for late model fuel injection...

I have seen a few comments about the interchangeability of a camaro tank in the 3rd gen. Novas, with a little modification to the filler neck.

This price, through Rock Auto is almost unbelievable for what you get, and comes with a warranty.

I have been wanting something like this that integrates a factory sender and has a lot of the leg work done.

Am I the first one to see this? Can this work?

Here's Spectra's page about it:
http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/prod/ALL/GM32BFI
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to look into these parts and possibly modifying them to fit the rear panel between the taillights. then feed down to a '68 Camaro tank with some filler neck hose.

I think with a bit of persuasion these pieces will go together in the nova.

http://www.classicindustries.com/camaro/parts/K963.html

http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...s/7707772.html

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-g...1967-1968.html

Maybe even try to use this sheet metal if necessary.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-t...Product_Viewed
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

I got a few parts in today to start off this experiment.

Not quite the 90 degree turn down I was hoping for, but still quite workable.

Here's a few pictures to show the size of the outlet in the rear panel, which I'm happy with.

And the current location of the end. I will probably just turn this down with a rubber elbow and match it up with the end of the filler neck on the new tank.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well I got some fuel system pieces in last night and THIS just a little bit ago.

I was heavily concerned about if this was the old style I've been reading about or the updated one with baffles built into the tank. I'm happy to say it looks like it is the new style. So now I just have to see if I can get the neck where I want it.

Oh and here's the sender.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for posting here. I am happy to see someone taking the plunge on this idea. Tanks Inc also offers a Camaro tank with in tank pump so either could be an option if this works out.the overall tank dimensions are very close so I'm assuming the only real work involved will be with the filler neck. Keep us posted and once again huge thanks for pioneering this promising idea.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Thanks for posting here. I am happy to see someone taking the plunge on this idea. Tanks Inc also offers a Camaro tank with in tank pump so either could be an option if this works out.the overall tank dimensions are very close so I'm assuming the only real work involved will be with the filler neck. Keep us posted and once again huge thanks for pioneering this promising idea.
I think I saw you posting on Steve's at one point, but there has been alot of activity recently on doing just that. One member is working with tanks inc directly to work through the development of the direct fit 3rd gen Nova tank.

A different guy "jugg" said he has put a 69' camaro tanks inc in his Nova-
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...=214403&page=5

"I just put a Tanks inc 69 Camaro tank in my 70. I just cut the Camaro neck off 2" from the tank did the same to the nova tank and put a short piece of hose to hook them back up.30 min and the tank was in. I reused my nova straps and it worked great."

" Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrdrive
Do you have any pictures of this process?

What size hoze did you use?

What MFG?

How much of the total length of the original fuel tank inlet tube did you cut off?

When you cut the original tank filler neck off, did it at an angle to correct the GM built in angle of the Nova tanks in relation to the straight Camaro tank?

Sorry no pics.

2" ID fuel hose from Napa

I left about 2 1/2" on both tanks

I left it straight. It sits closer to the floor but no problems filling it up."

It looks like using either the Spectre or tanks inc 69 camaro options can be made to work with a donor nova filler neck. I know this is different than the OP since he is relocating the filler, but I thought I would get as many guinea pigs out there before I order a 69' Camaro tank.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

There's one more show I want to make before I pull my motor out and start my swap. But I'm planning on doing the fuel system install this weekend. I got a Mallory 4307m fuel regulator so I could keep my current carbed 350 for the coming weeks. Mallory is sending me a higher pressure spring for a 4305m that I will use to convert to fuel injection pressure. I have pretty much all of my fuel system pieces finally, fittings and all, so I'm going to do the whole thing all at once: Fuel Tank, filler neck, and fuel system.
So look forward to some updates Friday or Saturday while I'm working all the bugs out.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

So I finally finsihed up my fuel system in preparation for my LS swap. My approach is to do as much prelimnary work as I can before the actual motor install, so I can reduce downtime.

I finshed installing the 68 Camaro Spectra Premium classic injection tank assembly and relocating the Nova filler neck to a flush mount on the rear panel of the body below the trunk lid.

The tank sender has a 3/8" feed line and a 5/16" return line. These lines originally exited the rear of the tank and went straight to the passenger side to hook into the stock location fuel line. On most LS motors, however the fuel enters the rail on the driver's side so I bent the tubing to point to the driver's side, as well as put inverted flare tube nuts on both lines.

From the sender I used an inverted flare to -6AN adpater, then a -6 to -8 adapter to run -8 line for the whole rest of the car. I also installed a fuel filter right after the sender hard line, clamped to the underside of the body.
A pair of -8AN steel braid lines were ran the length of the car to a Mallory 4307M(low pressure) regulator up on the driver's fenderwell.
-I ran the 4307M regulator because I still have the carbed SBC engine in the car and didn't want to make the car undriveable. Mallory sent me a conversion spring that I just change out in the regulator, which changes it into a 4305M (high pressure) regulator.
I also installed bulkhead fittings on the fenderwell as well. I did this because I have large 90* hose ends going into the regulator and I didn't think I could get the lines back out if I needed to woth them on there, in the current path the lines are ran.

I originally was going to run1/2" aluminum hard line the length of the car, but it wasn't bending the way I'd like, so I gave up and went with flex line.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Looking good. Any photos of the back of the car w/ the new filler cap location? Looks like great work on the latch support notching.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Launching!

I would recommend replacing the Spectra pump if you haven't already. The updated baffle helps but I would not let the tank run below 1/3-1/2 at all times as fuel slosh is still an issue. I used their tank in my Chevelle and I am on my third pump, two Spectra and now a Delphi. I'm thinking of using a pump controller(but their expensive). In warm weather the fuel starts to heat up in the tank. It's an inexpensive way to get an electric pump in the car but you may pay in the long run.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fox12303
I would recommend replacing the Spectra pump if you haven't already. The updated baffle helps but I would not let the tank run below 1/3-1/2 at all times as fuel slosh is still an issue. I used their tank in my Chevelle and I am on my third pump, two Spectra and now a Delphi. I'm thinking of using a pump controller(but their expensive). In warm weather the fuel starts to heat up in the tank. It's an inexpensive way to get an electric pump in the car but you may pay in the long run.
I'm driving around with 1/3 tank and haven't noticed anything as of yet.
Thanks for the heads up... but I'm not going to go out of my way to replace a brand new pump, especially one under warranty.

Quick Reply: Spectra Premium Classic Injection Camaro Tank in a Nova