Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s10 money pit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I see them now, thank you. So you were having problems with the $60.00 mounts directly above those at the current site?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

no problems with them at all, just looked alot nicer using the bushing style mount and will move around alot less for my turbo's and such, i mainly changed for my preference lol
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

its been too dang long for a update. i got transfered to second shift at work so it has been hell around the house..... i get home at around 12-1:00 am my wife and baby are asleep so i cant do much on the truck making too much noise lol, she wakes up at 7 to go to work, and i have the little one till 1:00 when she goes to daycare and i make my way to work by 2:30 lol so ive done a little here and there, not as much as ive wanted but oh well, family comes first! so heres the update....

the front hoop i had welded on the frame rails was too high for the new intercooler to be mounted for the intake side to go over the radiator, so i hacked it off, made some mounts where the radiator and intercooler and held together with air space between them, cut down the front hoop and welded it back in at a angle,

got my fuel pressure regulator mounted and my fuel lines ran to the rear of the truck feed and return, feed lines are -10an and return is -8an, ill be running 2 fuel pumps, one constant and the other will come on while in boost, also got my wiring ran thru the firewall, new fuse box and wiring for the rest of the truck came in, along with catch cans, 1 for each valvecover, my battery cables ran and trans cooler lines ran, alot of little stuff but it does take some time, i got alot more fabbing to do on the core support and bumper mounts but here is where i am at!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

trans cooler mounted to bottom of bed

fuel lines -10 food -8 return

battery and trans lines

bosch 044's and filters -10an

hole in firewall somewhat hidden

2- BOV's

rest of truck harness and fuse box

shut hood shot to show how much uptop room i now have for the center exit intercooler
Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

finished up plumbing the fuel system tonight alonf with mounting the fuel pumps and filters under the truck, im starting to see some daylight on this build lol i got discouraged for a bit but now i can see it starting to finally take shape!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Teching In

What control arms are you using?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

trz lowers and speedway uppers
Old 03-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Also, what do you plan on using for a rear? do you think the 10 bolt will hold up to the power with the upgrades you've done and might do in the future?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

lol I knew that questions would come! and no it will not hold up haha, when I get it running ill use the 10 bolt for a bit till I can save up for either a 8.8 or a 9" till then ill run my tire pressure high, and leave my caltracs loose so it wont hook lol I know it wont last so I wont try my luck, ill also go to a 3.08 gear instead of the current 3.42, ill sell this rear end for sure, its only got 700 miles on the Richmond gears, carrier, all new bearings through, and the rear cover
Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking truck and it looks like it was built very well.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

thank you for the kind words! ive had the money to finish the truck but the wife insisted on paying off some debt and i think i want a new car, something gas friendly, i drive a 4x4 suv and am lucky to only spend 100 a week just to and from work in gas.... if i can cut that in 1/3 that will make a car payment! so thats the goal! she makes me pay off credit cards and such, i want a new car haha funny how that works right?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you about saving money on gas. I drive 100 miles round trip to work. I'm currently sporting a '01 Civic with 219k miles - gets 35mpg consistently. You are doing a smart thing by paying off debt and keeping your monthly costs down. That will eventually free up money for fun things (i.e. LSx S10's). I'm leaning towards a newer car as well to replace my Civic, maybe a Chevy Cruze diesel or an Accord.

I want to do a similar setup in my '71 C10 as you have in the S10.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

my thoughts exactly, I work at the local GM plant so I get gm discounts and that's why my wife drives a Malibu lol I am also looking at the chevy cruze, ill either go with the base model 1.8L manual trans or the 1LT with the 1.4L turbo manual trans, they say the 1.4 with manual trans is good for 42mpg on the highway and that's all I drive lol and I am about 80 miles round trip, I considered the diesel cruze also but I want to see how they do a few years on the market before id buy one lol
Old 04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Launching!

How much hp do you think your rear end will hold now?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

not sure honestly, there are locals that have had the 7.625 10 bolts last with 800+ hp with a street radial. and broke axles on street tires haha they seem to twist the splines on the axles, pull it out, slide in another axle and go again..... lol so who knows honestly, ive broke stock ones in a 4cyl s-10 before, the thing with s-10's and alot of hp is the issue of making it hook, if it spins tires everywhere you will never break one.... when its driving, and if it lives a bit without breaking a axle or spitting the center pin out, ill sell it... i will end up doing the 8.8 or 9" swap to make it live..... if i had the extra cash id do that now lol
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Were you looking at buying an assembly from a junkyard and modifying it to fit? I was looking at a few sites and a couple only wanted about 2500 for a bolt in Dana 60... and that's 2500 with all the trimmings like powdercoating, truetrac, blah blah. Just something to look into, its also got a bigger ring gear than the other two rears and only weighs around 20 lbs more. just some food for thought
Old 05-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

not a huge update on my green truck but other things have been keeping me busy, between the baby, building stuff and a 54 F100 thats taken alot of my time lately lol

set the oem bumper up under the truck and started to make measurements for brackets to fab up, and figured just under 30 lbs was a bit too much for me to "hang" out there,

out with the old, in with the new, sprayed it this weekend,

the wife requested a new deck. larger, with stairs, bigger grill, and new furnature..... so there went the turbo money i had set back lol gotta make her happy tho,

its a bit further along than this pic but you get the idea,

my father inlaw decided i had some extra time lol and bought a 54 F100 and its been taking ALOT of time lol

the day she was in our possession

ALOT of rust repair, body and lacquer paint and wiring later

hand making an interior that it never had.....

wood bed floor and stainless rails,

i dont have a pic all set together but its came ALONG ways and hopefully driveable in the next few weeks.

we picked up a FI 5.0L for it and a trans for the next phase that also includes, lowering, and mustang II front suspension

so ive been busy busy busy on other things than the green machine lol
Old 05-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

finally built my core support, built it on 2 slides like a 1 piece front clip would be, and used dzeus fasteners for the bumper and grill, started plumbing the brakes using a strange master cyl and wilwood proportioning valve

Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Wow!! Great work man! I really like the front frame, core support, r&p setup. The whole truck is top notch. I am going to do something like that now that I've seen u do it. It had never crossed my mind but I certainly wanted a way to drop weight.

How much weight do u think it saved?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

i havent weighed it all but im gunna guess around 100 lbs or a touch more, the stock steering box is way heavy and the new core support is super light, id say the biggest drop in weight is the tubular a arms and the r&p setup, and i say go for it, i did and it worked out great! id definitely do it again if i ever build another one!

Quick Reply: s10 money pit