Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 GTO fuel tank in 1st gen F-body

Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GTO fuel tank in 1st gen F-body

I am using a 2005 GTO donor car and using as many parts as possible into my build to make things simple. I figure if it all worked together in the GTO it'll work together in the 1969 firebird I am building. Now I obviously can't use all the parts some for function and some for cosmetic preference. I have found one of the cosmetic things I am trying to convert and could use some input.

My biggest concern is whether the fuel cap on the GTO is vented. I do not want to use the fuel filler and filler door off the GTO. My plan is to use one of Ridetech's fuel filler necks they make for the 67-68 F-Body. I got it when I had planned to put a tank in the stock location. When I figured out how easy (and free) the GTO tank will be I already had the ridetech neck. I will mount it onto the passenger side sail panel.

The GTO has two lines coming off the filler neck. The hose that fills the tank and a second smaller line that appears to be spliced into the fuel feed line. I know how to adapt the ridetech neck to the filler tube. My concern is the smaller line. Do I plumb it into the top of the ridetech filler where there is a spot for a vent? If I do will I also need to plumb in some sort of vent because the ridetech cap is not vented?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-04-2013, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing something similar to you, I am putting as many parts as I can from a 2004 GTO into a 1971 Lemans Convertible. I too bought a wrecked 2004 GTO as a donor, it has been very successful for my swap. You are welcome to PM me with any questions that come up.

I am also using the GTO's fuel tank. See post #73 in my build thread for the fuel tank installation, link is below in my signature. Currently the fuel filler neck is just hanging in the trunk, but I will eventually have something on the passenger quarter, either a fuel door on the side or a chrome cap on top similar to a Charger or Challenger. I also moved the entire evap system over.

This page shows the fuel and vent system for the 2005 GTO. It's hard to tell where the vent line from the filler goes, but if memory serves it goes to the top of the tank. Remove the plastic shroud and take a look, it just snaps off.

As far as the cap goes, I believe it is non-vented. I based that on some research I did into replacement caps which were all described as being non-vented.

On Pro-touring.com there is a 69 Firebird with a modern GTO interior that came out great, check it out for ideas. I believe he used BMW seats though.

Post a build thread if you can, myself and others are interested in what you are doing.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. After I had posted the question I was looking a little more closely at the GTO filler neck and cap. It appears the prior owner had put a random cap on it as I could not even get it to screw on properly. The threads did not even thread properly. The car was also throwing a code just prior to me pulling the motor, hopefully the code was just for the cap not being sealed properly. There was no code when I bought it and I put a few hundred miles on before the check engine light came on.

If the GTO cap was not vented then I should be fine just connecting the smaller line into the ridetech filler. I guess if I start getting pressure I will notice when I take the cap off and I can always plumb in a vent latter if I need to.

Thanks again for the info. You can see my build thread in my signature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 GTO fuel tank in 1st gen F-body