Sponsored by:

My '77 Trans Am LQ4/T56 build

Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updates!
-Tick build T56 is in!
-Trans Tunnel Cut and painted
- Longtubes installed and true duel exhaust re-welded and fabbed up with new spintech pro street mufflers.
-stock transmission mount bracket cut, flipped over and welded on to hold this T56.
-Picked up my FAST 92 intake and got the piping to make my 4in ram air intake in the front bumper.

Here is the Trans Tunnel when I first cut it...

After the cut, and some black primer.

How the Dynatech 1 7/8 Longtubes sit under the car with the exhaust fabbed up..

The new Spintech pro street mufflers. Heard it on a Cammed GTO on youtube and feel in love with the sound. That's why I went with them.

The tranny mount

Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a very ugly picture of the car with how it sits right now. Remember this is an IRON block 6.0, with a T56 and the stock 80lb hood on, and the front of the car STILL looks like there isn't a motor in it! time to hit up pro-touring F-body and get some new front springs. This just goes to show there was some serious weight savings over the 455 and T350 that was in the car.

BTW- these rims are only temporary! I know they look terrible. I have another set of Rally II's I am cleaning up and painting to replace these until I order my Weld RTS's.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Nice ongoing project. To bad you still don't have the jacket. LOL just kidding.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that would be hilarious to have that jacket and try to recreate that picture... I may try to do that when all is said and done. lol
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM

is your shaker bolted to the hood or to the motor itself
Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Nice car, I love the nose of these Trans am's.

Thanks for the pic of the trans mount. I am working on an LQ4/T56 swap in my gf's 81 Z28. Was sweating the trans mount but that looks easy, I'm going to set the pinon angle and do exactly what you did there.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea the shaker is mounted to the hood. Not a final product but it keeps it there.

The trans mount really wasn't that bad. just cut off the bracket. clean it up, and reverse it. The harder part is drilling through the subframe to get the cross member to be bolted on. I still have to do this. its just sitting on the subframe right now.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Looks great man. Those headers tuck up a lot higher on your car than they did mine. When you move back to the states you can come to Upstate, NY and we can cruise around with our LSx powered Trans Ams!!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ryan,
one of these days we will link up! One way or another man!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Dont worry, the front springs will settle after a trip around the block. Mine had me worried too.

Nice job, beautiful bird!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the front has settled a little bit more, but its still has a Baja truck stance. next pay check I am going to get some pro touring f body lowering springs and new front shocks, along with all the little things I need to complete the car to get it running.

Then save up for either the Weld RTS rims I want, or just give in and go the cheaper route with the as cast Rally II year one rims in 17x9's. Wheels are what is really going to set off the car once I get it running.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HartAttack
Slowburm,
love the Sunoco hood. That's a good looking Z! Your gonna get frustrated being here without a track. However the car scene is huge. Every Saturday night at the NEX parking lot there are about a 50-100 cars there. Lots of LS cars. Mostly GTO's, and Vette's though. Not many F-Bodys roaming around for some reason.

Myself and a few other guys here are big LS guys and work out of our garages modded cars. So you can link up with me sometime and I can introduce you to them all if you want.
Sounds good, I'll PM ya when the Z gets here. Let me know if ya need a hand turning wrenches.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needs the full decal set too, then it will look great. Doing my wifes Solar Gold 78 myself right now.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually want to do the car pearl white and have all the decals and bird air brushed in sunset orange metallic with some ghost flames... And the car sitting on Weld RTS's with the polished lip and black centers.

I love those gold birds.. You gotta post up on your build. It would be killer to see that.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Nice build bro! That cam is a great choice
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Treys06gto
Nice build bro! That cam is a great choice
LoL ..Thanks for letting me buy it from you...TWICE. lmao
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Time for a few updates...
got the amazing clutch bracket assembly with the adjustable stop brace from RYEGUY2006a. I would post pic's but my Iphone upgrade lost the damn pictures even though I backed it up :/ All I have at the moment is a pic of the t56 hurst shifter coming out the stock auto hurst dualgate console opening.

I got the Street and Performance Wiring Harness Routed. Just need to mount the PCM how I want it, and unfortunately call street and performance for some different adapters.. The truck coil packs I have are a 7 pin and the one on the harness is a damn 4 pin. Same issue with the coolant temp sensor and a few others... I hate that I have to cut up a damn $900 harness... calling Street and performance tomorrow. The rest of the parts I need will all be here when I get this next paycheck in.. So it will be running soon.

Then after I got tired, my girlfriend decided to step in and install the water pump, and I had to take a picture

More to follow really soon....
Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM

I love the color red... the car, I meant the car.

Originally Posted by HartAttack
Time for a few updates...
got the amazing clutch bracket assembly with the adjustable stop brace from RYEGUY2006a. I would post pic's but my Iphone upgrade lost the damn pictures even though I backed it up :/ All I have at the moment is a pic of the t56 hurst shifter coming out the stock auto hurst dualgate console opening.

I got the Street and Performance Wiring Harness Routed. Just need to mount the PCM how I want it, and unfortunately call street and performance for some different adapters.. The truck coil packs I have are a 7 pin and the one on the harness is a damn 4 pin. Same issue with the coolant temp sensor and a few others... I hate that I have to cut up a damn $900 harness... calling Street and performance tomorrow. The rest of the parts I need will all be here when I get this next paycheck in.. So it will be running soon.

Then after I got tired, my girlfriend decided to step in and install the water pump, and I had to take a picture

More to follow really soon....
Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after taking MANY Months off the project do to LIFE... I finally have the car back in full swing, and I got it running! I am just waiting on new Brake Calipers, and a re-tune and she will be driving this weekend! Almost three years in the making!

Here's a short video of it idling with the base tune in it...tuned for a 85mm vette MAF but I ended up putting a 75mm F-body MAF on it, so the tune is off...but it runs!
Leave comments and let me know what yall think!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My '77 Trans Am LQ4/T56 build