Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated: L76 VVT going in my jet boat IT RUNS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I cleaned the boat up a bit, I started getting the exhaust ready. Luckily, my original through hull fitting was a 4" bell style necked down to 3.5." The old tip was cut pretty close to the transom fitting, so I couldn't reuse it. I was going to just weld the 4" straight to the hull, but I really didn't have room to put the boxes on the transom due to the supports for the swim deck. I bought some of these instead.

I figured since they have a flapper I should be good to go. They'll probably be a bit louder than the box on the back, but they do look better.

I cut the other hole out on the other side as close as I could get. I think I did ok. A 4" hole saw on aluminum is such a pain...

Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

So, I put the boat back on the trailer and got my engine back in. I forgot to mention earlier, but the Hamilton, Kodiak and MarinePower multi stage pumps have a 5 degree shaft angle, so thats the angle I welded the motor mounts in. The feet have enough adjustment in them to get the final angle down.

The Eddie Marine risers come down at about a 20 degree angle, so add that to the 5 the motor is offset and its 25. So, a 65 degree bend got me straight down. I took the 10 degree setback the transom sits at and made a 80 degree bend. Then, I set them in place and measured the distance. Im no machinist, but heres the mockup and its pretty darn close.

After verifying they would work, I welded them up. I didn't like a few of my welds, plus I plan on painting them, so I started grinding them smooth. It will look pretty snappy when I'm done.

Thats where I'm at now. Pretty close to turning the key. I had a bunch to do my last time off, so bear with me for more progress. We've been super busy getting my daughters room moved and getting a nursery setup for my next one.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad ***!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That hull will be very deceptive, a lotta peeps are gonna get fooled and schooled!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

hehehe...thanks! Thats the idea. I'm going to put "obnoxious" on the back..just go give them a hint
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

oh, forgot to add I made some nicer spacers for the alternator.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
That hull will be very deceptive, a lotta peeps are gonna get fooled and schooled!
Lol so true. C-bolt a fine job all round sir, fine job indeed

Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Haha, thanks guys. I sure hope so... Its going to be hard to pull the throttle back and cruise.

Do you think Ill be anywhere near what Mast claims for HP?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

What numbers are they claiming?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good...

You've come a long way.

Should be a blast on the rivers this summer.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I cant wait to get it turning.

Cam: They say 480hp at 6500 or so, and 454 ft/lbs at 5200. Ill only spin mine up to 5000 or maybe a bit higher, but It looks like it should still be better than 450 there...

Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Looks like reasonable numbers to me. Enjoy
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet, thanks. It just seems so wrong that a cam/springs and a good tune can put down almost 500 on a dyno... Gotta love these LS motors. Maybe someday Ill forge and stroke it. Then it should be even more ridiculous.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

The LS engine is one well designed piece of brilliance thats for sure. 1.4hp per cube is pretty standard fair for naturally aspirated LS power plants. Some beat it a bit but any more than 1.6hp per cube gets crazy expensive/unreliable/race only etc.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

Nice build!
Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Time for another update:
I got my nice blue exhaust hose in the mail and cleaned up the S pipes a bit more. They still need a good polishing, but I didn't care for right now. They fit so good its ridiculous (yes, I'm proud). That hose is a pain in the rear to install thats for sure. A few beers and then I remembered the WD-40 trick. It sure helps the silicone slide better. I added 4 little 1" slightly raised welds around each of the S pipe ends to help the hose grip and help keep it from popping off. I think it worked, but now its a pain. My clamps hold everything together nice and tight. Luckily I had enough length of exhaust hose left I was able to make an extra coupler a bit longer. It helps make up the slack for the higher exhaust riser with the o2 sensor installed. Once the tune is known good and I remove the spacer Ill put the shorter hose section back on. For now, you can hardly notice it though. Eventually if I have problems with the hoses falling off, Ill add 2 of the cheaper Trident style bump couplers on the vertical section. Ill probably be OK though.

In recommendation from the guys at Riddle, I put a constant drain on each manifold end. It is small, but the constant flow of water through the tubing will (should) keep it from clogging up and also keep it self draining when shut down. I plumbed them into the S pipe, you can see it in the pics and if you look closely in the video. I have a few water leaks on the plugs on the manifolds, but thats an easy fix. I didn't want to crack the manifolds from overtightening.

I also had a buddy make me a sticker...just because

All and all I'm pretty close. I need to pull the engine one more time to put the driveshaft back in. Then Ill hook up the hoses to the heater core and the jet. After that, Ill take care of the wiring harness and secure any loose ends. I'm also having the doghouse cut and bent for me while Im at work. It should be ready for welding when I get back. We should also have some soft water around too.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Oh, and thanks for the kind words. I am getting so anxious to get this thing wet!

It runs! I still need to figure out the mechanical to electronic foot pedal thing and adjust the parameters in the software, but it fires right up and idles nicely. Ill probably lower the idle just a bit to make it sound better

Here's a video:
Old 04-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

Let me try youtube since pb sucks for video

Last edited by c-bolt; 04-12-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

This is badass man! That thing will sound mean through the water!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks! It should be a blast. I should have some soft water here within a week..at least I hope...

Quick Reply: Updated: L76 VVT going in my jet boat IT RUNS!